Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/3/2022 3:18:57 PM EDT
My friend is a single woman, no kids, a teacher, 49, who is looking for an HD gun.
Her area of town has gotten a bit sketchier over the last few years. She had a big, protective dog who died, but the new dog would just run away from anyone.

I know she doesn't have much money, but she asked me to find her an HD gun.
I'm leaning towards the SAR9 because it's only like $290 and holds 17rds. However, it would require learning a bit more (some pricier guns are better values for what you get, but she doesn't need much).

Is there a cheap/value revolver that is a diamond in the rough? Maybe a Taurus or Rossi?
It's gotten impossible to find police trade-in S&Ws Model 10s or 64s under $400-$450 these days.
In the past, I've always found one in the low 300s.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I know a 642 cost more than 300-350 these days but if I needed a .38.

Honestly I'd push her toward a semi auto 9.
It may be on the small side but Rural King was advertising the Taurus G3C for 200 a couple days ago.

Not sure what a G19 is running.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#2]
if its for HD a 12 gauge pump, they can be had less than 300 bucks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for a 9mm.  Several very good choices in that price range.  The various DAO or striker guns are almost revolver like in simplicity of operating drill.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#4]
For a revolver used model 10’s are easy to find at that price and are easy to understand and shoot well.
Lot of used police trade in type semis in that’s price range as well
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Taurus 856
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Taurus 856
View Quote

this I'm happy with mine. I bought the stainless steel version. Locks up tight, holds six rounds, slightly larger cylinder than the 642, all steel frame unlike the Charterarms Pathfinder, with the steel frame the recoil is not bad, and they're rated for +P.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Go Taurus at that price range and ignore the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the snobs.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Go Taurus at that price range and ignore the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the snobs.
View Quote

this, I never owned a Taurus before this year, I have no idea what they were in the past but I have no complaints today.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#10]
FrankSymptoms:
I looked there but all those are sold out.

Others:
Are you guys saying get a Taurus revolver or a semi-auto?
I see MOST people seem to like the new semis, though I’m not sure the GX4
trigger is ready for prime time.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#11]
The Armscor model 206 6 shot snub revolver is a good budget revolver.

Under $300

Link Posted: 6/3/2022 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Another 856 vote here.

I have two, the stainless 856 and the 856UL.

The ultralite is my summer pocket gun and it kicks like a mule, the stainless is quite the opposite and shoots nice.

I like the stainless 856 because you can upgrade the front site to a hi-vis night sight (the UL has a fixed front sight).

Both come with adequate grips, but Taurus sells some really nice G10 grips that truly change the feel of the pistols and make them a bit nicer to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#13]
What about a Taurus 82? They seem to be right over the budget at $400 maybe the budget can stretch.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FrankSymptoms:
I looked there but all those are sold out.

Others:
Are you guys saying get a Taurus revolver or a semi-auto?
I see MOST people seem to like the new semis, though I’m not sure the GX4
trigger is ready for prime time.
View Quote

Taurus 856 is a 6shot Jframe-sized revolver with either a 2" or 3" barrel. It is solid steel, has a pretty good grip, matt stainless or blued finish, that the manufacturer in the owner's manual states is +P rated.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is a new 38 for about $250 from J&G Sales
Rock Island Revolver 38 Special

For what it's worth, you could get one of their  $199 Smith and Wesson Model 10 revolvers and create your own Roland Special
Barreless Revolver

I bought two and then found  barrels on ebay and created a round butt 4" and a round butt 2".
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks all.

I'll have a look at those Taurus models and the links to J&G.
I never thought of "creating" a revolver from parts before--I didn't even know that was a thing.

But I saw someone on here had a Model 10 or 66 or something cut down to like 2.5 or 3" and slab-sided and coated, with a round butt...it was a beautiful gun.

NOTE:  My dad still has a few S&Ws he got at gov't prices in the late 60s and 70s while he was a LT and then a special agent. He spent his whole life with the same guns all bought back then:  a Model 19, a dirty harry 44 (whichever model that is), a Colt 1911 accurized by their special shop, a German PPK, a nickel BHP, and an airweight 38. He was issued a few guns over the years, and ended up buying a Glock 23...but that's 7 pistols in 60 years. I have probably owned 4 times that in 25 years.  :(
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I know a 642 cost more than 300-350 these days but if I needed a .38.

Honestly I'd push her toward a semi auto 9.
It may be on the small side but Rural King was advertising the Taurus G3C for 200 a couple days ago.

Not sure what a G19 is running.
View Quote

Taurus G2c was running $175 at rural king after a $25 rebate , she could buy a cheap weapon light and ammo with the change. Small .38 revolvers can be recoil heavy in the lightweight frames.
She’d be better off with a semi auto 9.

g19 are running around $500 or more, an excellent choice but outside your stated budget.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:  Taurus G2c was running $175 at rural king after a $25 rebate , she could buy a cheap weapon light and ammo with the change. Small .38 revolvers can be recoil heavy in the lightweight frames.
She’d be better off with a semi auto 9.

g19 are running around $500 or more, an excellent choice but outside your stated budget.
View Quote

G2C is a bargain for the price, the trigger isn't heavy, it's just L...O...N...G.  SIG P226 mags fit it & the KelTec SUB-2000.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:09:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I would strongly recommend that you don't get her a 9mm (or any semi auto, for that matter) unless she's willing to learn to use one and continue practicing with one, which your average woman is not going to do. My wife practiced with, and became a cracker-jack of a shooter with my 1911, and shot a 247/250 at her CHL class. But she doesn't want to practice and keep herself familiar with it, so she carries a .38 revolver because of its simplicity.

Stay the course and help her find a solid K-Frame size .38 Special revolver with a 4" barrel. Handguns such as these are easy to learn and operate. I own several 4" K-Frame S&W's and they are ideal for women. At this point though it's difficult to find a quality .38 Special revolver for under $350. A year or so ago this wasn't terribly difficult but now it is. The one exception seems to be the Rock Island M200 which are well under $300 in many cases. I've never owned or fired one, but have yet to read much bad at all about them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:27:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Taurus 85.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 5:50:26 AM EDT
[#21]
See whether she is more comfortable with a semi auto or a revolver. My wife hates revolvers,
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:  I would strongly recommend that you don't get her a 9mm (or any semi auto, for that matter) unless she's willing to learn to use one and continue practicing with one, which your average woman is not going to do. My wife practiced with, and became a cracker-jack of a shooter with my 1911, and shot a 247/250 at her CHL class. But she doesn't want to practice and keep herself familiar with it, so she carries a .38 revolver because of its simplicity.

Stay the course and help her find a solid K-Frame size .38 Special revolver with a 4" barrel. Handguns such as these are easy to learn and operate. I own several 4" K-Frame S&W's and they are ideal for women. At this point though it's difficult to find a quality .38 Special revolver for under $350. A year or so ago this wasn't terribly difficult but now it is. The one exception seems to be the Rock Island M200 which are well under $300 in many cases. I've never owned or fired one, but have yet to read much bad at all about them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
See whether she is more comfortable with a semi auto or a revolver. My wife hates revolvers,
View Quote

Agreed, everyone is different. My wife hates semi’s.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Everyone has a different perspective, but again an older used S&W is a FAR better choice than a foreign brand new. I have bought dozens of used revolvers overthe years and only a handful new. Old smiths are the way to go
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#26]
In order to minimize that chance of her buying a gun that may not be working properly, I would opt for a new handgun, and in that price range, there are very view manufacturers I'd recommend.  Since she's not that old, I think I'd teach her the cardinal rules of gun safety, show her the basics, loading, unloading, aiming, disassembly and reassembly, and perhaps direct her to some youtube channels or vids with good instructional information on the basics of gun handling and shooting.  After that I'd look for a shop that carries Taurus and take her to handle a few, and recommend one that has a full size grip, sight radius, and capacity, if it happens to fit her hands well.

I'd normally recommend a revolver, but she's young enough that she should be able to remember and follow the basic rules, and Taurus has apparently gotten to the point where even their entry level pistols have gotten reliable.  Most of the trade-in pistols you'll find in that price range will probably be in .40 S&W, which can be snappy even for experienced shooters.  You may be able to find some of the S&W M&P pistols that are being phased out marked down.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm not sure about Taurus.  To be honest with you, I'd probably only really trust a Ruger.  The GP-100 or SP-101 are excellent.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:  I'm not sure about Taurus.  To be honest with you, I'd probably only really trust a Ruger.  The GP-100 or SP-101 are excellent.
View Quote

My SP-101 9x19mm has like a 12+ lb DA trigger, and out of the box one of the cylinder stops was too narrow for the lug to lock in.  Dryfiring fixed it (not the heavy DA pull), but I can't say recent production (pre-COVID) Rugers are excellent.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My SP-101 9x19mm has like a 12+ lb DA trigger, and out of the box one of the cylinder stops was too narrow for the lug to lock in.  Dryfiring fixed it (not the heavy DA pull), but I can't say recent production (pre-COVID) Rugers are excellent.
View Quote
I'm not going to make excuses for any quality mishaps, but the heavy mainspring is to make sure it sets off harder magnum primers.  If you aren't shooting magnums or are able to use Federal primers then you could get away with a lighter mainspring probably.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#30]
As usual in these sorts of threads, all the wrong questions, and answers, are being offered.

1.  Has she ever fired a handgun, or any gun for that matter before?  If not, and I'm guessing that is the case, under no circumstance should you suggest a snub nose revolver, no matter who makes it.  Snubbies are NOT new shooter friendly and she will very quickly put in in a drawer and never touch it again.  Same goes for a freaking shotgun.  Dumbest suggestion ever.

2. This is for home defense only, not for carry?  No need for any small sized anything.  Smaller guns are always more difficult to shoot, especially for new or inexperienced shooters.  A 3" or longer barrel .38 special revolver is what she seeks.  Get the Rock Island at her price point.

3. She is your friend.  Get her some training, on your dime, both of you will sleep better for it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
As usual in these sorts of threads, all the wrong questions, and answers, are being offered.

1.  Has she ever fired a handgun, or any gun for that matter before?  If not, and I'm guessing that is the case, under no circumstance should you suggest a snub nose revolver, no matter who makes it.  Snubbies are NOT new shooter friendly and she will very quickly put in in a drawer and never touch it again.  Same goes for a freaking shotgun.  Dumbest suggestion ever.

2. This is for home defense only, not for carry?  No need for any small sized anything.  Smaller guns are always more difficult to shoot, especially for new or inexperienced shooters.  A 3" or longer barrel .38 special revolver is what she seeks.  Get the Rock Island at her price point.

3. She is your friend.  Get her some training, on your dime, both of you will sleep better for it.
View Quote

Rock Island M206

Rock Island is mostly known for their 1911 pistols, but they actually make two revolvers including a service-size .38 Special (the M200) and a snubby: the Rock Island Armory M206. It holds 6 shots of .38 Special, comes in regular steel or stainless and with or without a hammer.

And there’s not much else to it.

MSRP is $283, and a lot of stores offer it for about $200, so if you just need a gun that goes “bang” when you need it to and nothing else…it’ll do it.

USCarry's opinion on it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#32]
She hasn’t shot anything, and it’s ONLY for HD.

That’s why I was leaning towards a 3-4” steel 38…loaded with
the Hornady Lite or wad-cutters it would be soft shooting if.
I got a Model 10 (LE surplus) for one of my best friends, and
put a laser on it for her.

I explained that the learning curve is a bit steeper with Semis, but
she’d be fine with either.

I like that M200 revolver ad the 856…and the Taurus G3 gets good reviews.
Though I’ve seen SAR9s for $250-$280 and they seem to basically be
Gen3 Glocks with a VP9 grip. I’d get her low recoil ammo (maybe
some 75gr Fort Scott or Hornady or Federal’s “lite” load), then after
teaching her how to shoot, basically just say keep it in a holster or gun
bag unless she needs it.

One advantage of Semis is it’s easy to mount a light.
I’m a big believer that HD guns MUST have lights on them (though she lives alone,
and had no family here—so it’s most likely not gonna be a relative in the house).
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:16:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Another alternative would be a 9x19mm PCC - Beretta, KelTec's SUB-2000 that folds up for travel, the Ruger PCC that comes apart for travel, any # of AR-9 based guns, etc.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  a non-handgun alternative is a youth 10/22 with a red dot

My wife is very petite and does not like blast and recoil.  She's adopted one of my 10/22s as her defensive gun.  A 25 rd  bullet hose will get the job done, and she's willing to use it.

In the middle
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/IMG_5271-1772193.jpg
View Quote

Might have her try a KelTec CMR-30 in .22 WMR.  40 grns at 1900+ fps would give her a little more oomph.  HiPoint also has their .380 carbine.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
She hasn’t shot anything, and it’s ONLY for HD.

That’s why I was leaning towards a 3-4” steel 38…loaded with
the Hornady Lite or wad-cutters it would be soft shooting if.
I got a Model 10 (LE surplus) for one of my best friends, and
put a laser on it for her.

I explained that the learning curve is a bit steeper with Semis, but
she’d be fine with either.

I like that M200 revolver ad the 856…and the Taurus G3 gets good reviews.
Though I’ve seen SAR9s for $250-$280 and they seem to basically be
Gen3 Glocks with a VP9 grip. I’d get her low recoil ammo (maybe
some 75gr Fort Scott or Hornady or Federal’s “lite” load), then after
teaching her how to shoot, basically just say keep it in a holster or gun
bag unless she needs it.

One advantage of Semis is it’s easy to mount a light.
I’m a big believer that HD guns MUST have lights on them (though she lives alone,
and had no family here—so it’s most likely not gonna be a relative in the house).
View Quote

I’ve seen the Stoeger STR-9 for under $300 recently also. They are very Glock like inside. Surprisingly I think I trust a cheap semi auto more than a cheap revolver these days.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought a Rock Island M200 4 inch .38 Special.  So far after 300 rounds it has been reliable so far with no issues.  I have shot mostly 158 grain Semi-wadcutter reloads through it.  So far accuracy is not great but it is minute of man out to 50 yards.  I am planning on trying some Remington Golden Sabers next time out to the range.  Double action trigger is lighter than my Taurus 617.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#38]
OP, good for you for helping this lady out!
Introduce her to corneredcat.com. It's a gun site by and for women; I think she'll benefit from the female perspective.

Some folks say the most dangerous place in the world is between a Mama Bear and her cubs. It may be so. I’ve never met a Mama Bear, myself.

The most dangerous place I ever stood was between a cornered cat and an open door.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#39]
I compared the Rock Island M200 and the Taurus 856. There was a world of difference in fit and finish between the two. The RIA M200 also had a heavy and gritty trigger when compared to the Taurus 856. My local FFL had several of each to look at and the results were the same across the board. I would stay away from new Charter Arms revolvers since it seems they have been having QC problems over the last couple of years.

I have a 20 year old Taurus 85 along with a new 856 and 942 (22lr) and all have been good to go.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Taurus revolvers are GTG. For super low cost, a 9mm G2C, Taurus is running rebates again. Rural King has G2C's for $175.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I compared the Rock Island M200 and the Taurus 856. There was a world of difference in fit and finish between the two. The RIA M200 also had a heavy and gritty trigger when compared to the Taurus 856. My local FFL had several of each to look at and the results were the same across the board. I would stay away from new Charter Arms revolvers since it seems they have been having QC problems over the last couple of years.

I have a 20 year old Taurus 85 along with a new 856 and 942 (22lr) and all have been good to go.
View Quote

I also have the 856 and a 942, the only complaint I've had with either is that the 942 has to be scrupulously cleaned especially the ejector rod. I've had trouble ejecting the empty cases occasionally. This is not all that uncommon with .22 revolvers. Both revolvers are great otherwise, they lock up tight, are accurate, and are apparently extremely well made. Though I have not done a full strip of the 856 it appears to be a clone of the Smith J-frame.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  The action appears to be based off A Colt and is actually modified along lines of more modern colts. However it's pretty junky, I'd rather have a used beat up smith and Wesson
View Quote

The newer ones seem to be better than yours.  Still have that pic?
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The Armscor model 206 6 shot snub revolver is a good budget revolver.

Under $300

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Still have the picture?I still have the revolver.

The longer barrel one would presumably not have the problem with the end of the barrel as I assume that was done in AZ. But it's still a crude pot metal gun. I'd rather have a RIA .38 than a bat with a nail in it I guess. I'd rather have an ancient, beat up S&W than a new RIA

I mean the made in Philippines one.RIA may also import some kind of eastern european .38
View Quote

Pot metal? Do you really think they're made of pot metal??

I can't quite wrap my head around people comparing a $200-$250 revolver to an S&W. Of course they're of lesser quality, that's why they cost less. They're designed for people who don't shoot a lot.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Your link goes to a snub Taurus, but the Defender model has a 3" barrel and a decent night sight up front

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/933562593

Stainless can be had for about the same price.  6 shot, not 5 like a J-frame or SP101
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Your link goes to a snub Taurus, but the Defender model has a 3" barrel and a decent night sight up front

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/933562593

Stainless can be had for about the same price.  6 shot, not 5 like a J-frame or SP101

Sorry I clicked on the wrong one.......here's a 4" Taurus. RK doesn't seem to sell the three inch model.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top