Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2023 4:02:56 AM EDT
I picked up a Ruger P95DC early last year for a really good price, but I am looking at getting it refinished, which includes the polymer frame and the slide.  The slide, due to age now has a purplish tint to it and the frame is now extremely shinny.

The slide shouldn’t be an issue, especially in a basic statin black. The problem is the frame, which would need to be stripped of all parts before the process.

What would be the best option to have the frame refinished in a flat black, while maintaining the original factory look.  I am thinking of a Duracoat or a Ceracoat product, so between these two products, which would be the most durable finish from light scuffing and light handling marks?  Yes, I know it’s not going to be cheap, but these Rugers have sentimental value and something I will not be shooting that much.

And the last question, who would be the best place to have this work done?

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#1]
You're looking at $250 worth of work on a $250 gun.  You might want to rethink this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Trust me, I know and since I’m in WA state, our gun laws are quickly matching CA, so l’m simply getting my collection in order and thinning out the stuff I don’t need or want.  My friends laugh at my Ruger P series pistols in my collection of Sig, Walther, HK, Colts, S&W and Beretta handguns, but as I stated in my first post, these Rugers have sentimental value to me. So, in my eyes these $250 pistols are worth much more to me.  

Hell, I just paid $$$ to have my dead 1980s Akai Reel to Reel tape deck brought back to life!
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Cerakote is the best bet. Might look at having the slide nickel plated/ hard chromed?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top