Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2021 2:51:14 AM EDT
So I found a homeless HiPower and I don't know anything about it.  The finish is rough, it looks like an Isreali, but no Star of David, no import marks etc.  Just looks like a HiPower, nothing special.

Should I have it refinished?  I am thiniking of doing Novak sights and then refinishing it somethingn like Birdson Black T.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 4:52:27 AM EDT
[#1]
If it holds no collector/rare value, go for it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 7:06:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Waste of money...
Just sell it to me, to ease that buyer's remorse.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Novak has been known to completely refinish a slide after they done the milling on the slide, so you may be able to kill to birds with one stone.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a hp with the black t on it.

Sent to novaks for the sight install, they didn't want to mess with the finish as they couldn't match it and said you'd see the difference.

I had them send it back to Birdsong to refinish entire slide as the frame was black t also.

Gun was out of my hands 5 weeks total between sights and refinish.

Happy with both.

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dogrobber13:

I bought a hp with the black t on it.

Sent to novaks for the sight install, they didn't want to mess with the finish as they couldn't match it and said you'd see the difference.

I had them send it back to Birdsong to refinish entire slide as the frame was black t also.

Gun was out of my hands 5 weeks total between sights and refinish.

Happy with both.

View Quote

Nice.  This is sort of the idea I was leaning towards.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Cressida:
Waste of money...
Just sell it to me, to ease that buyer's remorse.
View Quote

I was worried about that, but I have blown more than $250 at a strip club, so I guess I'll just keep it.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Novak Low Mount sights are a good thing for a Hi-Power. If it were mine, I have Novak's do a reliability package, trigger job & re-crown barrel (I'm sure they have a name for this standard package without looking at there webpage. I've been a Novak customer since 1982). Then just a standard bead blast & blue refinish upper/lower. Let us know what you choose to do.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are doing Novak sights you might as well swap out the stock thumb safety for an extended one.  They are difficult to swipe on and off.  I like the factory ambi safety.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Send it to Nighthawk for the upgrades and refinish it with DLC
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I think you should refinish it.  Mine wasn't quite as bad as that, but I refinished it.

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#11]
@Sailormilan2
Did you refinish it yourself? Or use a company?
I'm considering having my High power refinished but don't know where/who to send it to.

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 45BArmorer:
@Sailormilan2
Did you refinish it yourself? Or use a company?
I'm considering having my High power refinished but don't know where/who to send it to.

View Quote

I did it my self.  Getting the FN epoxy finish off was a real effort.  Soaked it in Jaasco Epoxy paint remover for about 2 days, then tried scraping it off.  Finally ended up bead blasting it off.  However, apparently I didn't get it all off, as the first park had lots of blotches.  Bead blasted it again, then used 400 grit sandpaper on the flats to polish them. The slide had been replaced at one time, and the last 5 digits of the serial number were electropenciled into it under the ejection port.  I got that out with heaver sandpaper, then redid the slide in 400 grit.
I used Palmetto Enterprises Black park, run a bit stronger than their recipe. As can be seen, finish is very dark, but also, very smooth. Those are Raasco grips, which are a bit thinner and had a more rounded back edge.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#13]
OP, is that a steel frame or alloy frame? Black-T will work fine for both, just curious...

And Black-T on a BHP looks dead sexy IMO.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top