Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2022 2:19:53 AM EDT
I had my tanfoglio witness match apart the other night going to town polishing all the areas where things slipped and slid together and had a thought. Has anyone ever done much experimenting with reducing the area of contact between parts? Like maybe using a very small end mill to cut small grooves or maybe a very small drill bit to put small dimples in surfaces and then breaking those sharp edges with something like an impregnated rubber polishing bit and then polishing the part? I’m thinking about buying something cheap to experiment on. I know most of these surfaces are very small so it probably could turn out to sound good in theory but be insignificant if even feasible in application. Just curious if it’s ever been tried
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Grooving or dimpling would probably not have enough of an effect to make it worth while, and would very possibly cause the critical surfaces to wear prematurely because of the reduction of the contact areas.
The best option is to SMOOTH parts, not polish to a mirror shine, then apply a little grease to the contact surfaces.
Also, in a non-defense range gun you can play around with springs more which has a bigger effect.

Polishing to a mirror shine doesn't do anything a smooth surface won't, and often requires removing too much metal.

If grooving and dimpling would have a real effect and work correctly you'd see it in custom guns.....you don't so that should tell you something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top