Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2021 2:03:58 PM EDT
More companies are starting to market optics featuring green dots instead of red, or that are able to switch colors.

Supposedly this has the benefit of extending battery life because green light consumes less electricity for the same level of brightness than red, or something like that.

But the other possible benefit that occurred to me is that having your dot be green instead of red could help reduce visual clutter when using it around vehicles. Red colored lights are very common in traffic, and being around vehicles is a fairly common setting for self-defense shootings. So finding a dot whose color doesn't match other lights surrounding you could make it easier to acquire the dot by reducing visual clutter.

Are there any other things I should consider when deciding what color dot for an optic? Any drawbacks to using a green dot over red that I haven't considered?
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
A totally uneducated guess, but I suspect it is more a way to give you choice than anything else.    In my searches it seems like green light is the opposite of what you said in that it has less battery life.  (remember just my gut talking).   Also, during the day it seems like red stands out better, while at night they are about the same.   Both those factors being what they are, I still choose green dots over red when buying a new one.   I can’t explain or justify it, it’s just my preference.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#2]
From my understanding, its easier for colorblind people to pick up the green dot, over the red.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I run both competitively.

Objectively there is zero difference in time between them with the exception of Steel Challenge.  If all you’re doing is shooting white steel in bright sunlight, the red is superior but you’ll only notice if you’re counting tenths or hundredths of seconds.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From my understanding, its easier for colorblind people to pick up the green dot, over the red.
View Quote

I wonder if different colors are better or worse for people with astigmatism.

Red dots always give me a fuzzy starburst pattern rather than a crisp dot. It's not that dramatic, and simply turning the brightness down helps a lot. But I wonder if the effect changes depending on the wavelength of the light.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wonder if different colors are better or worse for people with astigmatism.

Red dots always give me a fuzzy starburst pattern rather than a crisp dot. It's not that dramatic, and simply turning the brightness down helps a lot. But I wonder if the effect changes depending on the wavelength of the light.
View Quote

There’s so much variation in astigmatism from person to person it’s impossible to say.

Color, the actual shape of the lens, and other variables all serve to make a contribution.

Your best bet to to try a variety of options.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I have astigmatism, and the Holosun circle dot is much easier to use than a single dot for me. I cannot speak for others, and I have no experience with a green dot.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:17:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Have used both.  Prefer red.  There is very little red in nature.  There is a whole lot of green.  Red is much easier to pick up off of a range in real world imho.  Green can get "lost" in grass, trees, etc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Which one do you see quickest/best in varying light conditions?

With my RMRs, I can see the amber color dot much better than the greed dot.

Funny thing is, with fiber optic front sights, I prefer green.  The difference may be that the red dot sights intensity can be varied while the fiber optic sights cannot.

Check to see what color your eyes work with the best.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#9]
i have quite a few red, and only one green.

both work great. But I find myself liking the green. My eyes like that green dot a bit more. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#10]
When it comes to scopes luckily I can become easily adapted to damn near anything. My preference is red simply because my Kobra’s, Aimpoints, PSOP’s, and most of my RMR’s have red dot/reticles. I do have a .308 Trijicon with a green reticle and while I wish it was red it doesn’t bother me. It’s all about what you like.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Long time ago I had a red dot I think it was truglow or something like that.
You could switch colors red green different sizes dots.
I found when hunting in the woods green was useless.
Red just worked better in all conditions.  Still have that sight and still works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top