Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2022 1:00:50 PM EDT
I just purchased a new Ruger MK IV tactical 22 pistol.  This particular model comes with a pic rail mounted on top.  I want to mount a red dot optic on it due to my old eyes.  Probably a dumb question to most here, but do any of the popular red dot sights (Vortex/Holosun/Etc) come with the ability to mount directly to the rail? In other words, I don't want to have to buy an adapting mounting plate to mount one.  Thanks for any assistance.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Almost every optic out there either comes with a picatinny or comparable mount as standard, or has the option to buy one with it (or after the fact).

You can grab a Bushnell TRS-25 or the Primary Arms equivalent as a start, or just go straight to the Fastfire/RMR/Holosun mini reflexes that can be bought with a pic mount. All depends on what works best for you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#2]
thank you for your help!
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out the green dots also. I have a much clearer dot with green.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out the green dots also. I have a much clearer dot with green.
View Quote

do you have a suggestion/recommendation for a model with a green dot? Thanks so much
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I initially mounted my Holosun on the rail of my MKIV.  However, it sat a little high for my liking.  Had to tilt the muzzle down in order to acquire the dot.  It just didn’t feel natural/right to me.  Installed a Lobos Industries lower mount and it was just right.  I think it looks better too.  

Installed a MadMaccs Precision lower mount on my other barrel.  Not sure about mounting a dot on my Lite barrel yet.  Trying to keep the weight down on that one.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

do you have a suggestion/recommendation for a model with a green dot? Thanks so much
View Quote

Pick the models you like and check if a green version is offered. I would go look through some at a store to see if it makes a difference to your eyes, I keep my reds at the lowest useable brightness and that helps too.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I initially mounted my Holosun on the rail of my MKIV.  However, it sat a little high for my liking.  Had to tilt the muzzle down in order to acquire the dot.  It just didn’t feel natural/right to me.  Installed a Lobos Industries lower mount and it was just right.  I think it looks better too.  

Installed a MadMaccs Precision lower mount on my other barrel.  Not sure about mounting a dot on my Lite barrel yet.  Trying to keep the weight down on that one.  

https://i.ibb.co/59qgPvk/F6636055-D5-A8-4855-881-A-DC89-A21-DB08-F.jpg
View Quote

That Lobos Industries mount looks like just the ticket! (too bad they are out of stock)....Does this mount via the same holes as the factory rail? If it does, I will be definitely be getting one, thanks so much!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes it mounts to the factory holes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks again for all the help!
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#10]
No problemo!
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#11]
>>but do any of the popular red dot sights (Vortex/Holosun/Etc) come with the ability to mount directly to the rail<<

Just be aware that some RD pic mounts are higher than others, and may not work for you. In my case I tried both an ADE RD-3 and a Swampfox Kingslayer on my Browning Buckmark and due to the height of the mounts, I didn't have sufficient vertical adjustment on either to dial it in the way I needed to. Enter the Vortex Venom, which has a much lower mounting bracket. A friend has one on his Buckmark Contour and has no problem with vertical adjustment. So to that end, I'll be picking up said Venom tomorrow. They're not cheap, but they're a quality item with a lifetime warranty. Just saying.....

Good luck with whichever way you go.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a holosun 510 that came with the QR mount for my Ruger lite. Nice setup for me. The 510 has a bitter window than my 508T  in green. Holos are the only dog sights I have experience with.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep in kind there are wedge-like adapters to get your elevation where you need it.

This is a known issue mounting red dots to revolvers, as well, and the shims are designed to help with the elevation issues. These are for direct mounts, only, as far as I know.

Just something to keep in mind if you have elevation issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top