Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2020 4:55:47 PM EDT
Or both?

I’m trying to put away a stash of rounds for my Mak and my CZ-82, and Classic Firearms has both of those loads available. I’d prefer the brass casings that the Red Army Elite offers, but that isn’t absolutely necessary at the moment.

Any reasons for or against either of them?

TIA.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had good luck with all 9x18. The red army brass case is good ammo. You may want to store it away and shoot the steel case. I have never had a malfunction with Brown Bear and like it in 9mm and 223. I think Tulammo is probably at the bottom of the list.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 12mm:
I have had good luck with all 9x18. The red army brass case is good ammo. You may want to store it away and shoot the steel case. I have never had a malfunction with Brown Bear and like it in 9mm and 223. I think Tulammo is probably at the bottom of the list.
View Quote

Thanks, Bro
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 1:21:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#3]
I'll always take brass cased if it's an available option but nothing wrong shooting the steel cased stuff out of your combloc firearms since it was designed for it. That Hornady Critical Defense they also have in stock at the moment there at Classic is some good defensive ammo if you intend to carry your Mak or keep it ready to go there at the homstead.

Unfortunately they are out of stock but when available the PPU stuff has been my go to Mak load especially in the hollow point variety.

I may snag one of those Red Army 150 packs just to pad my ammo stash here a bit. Thanks for the heads up.

Link Posted: 3/30/2020 2:41:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jeremywills:
I'll always take brass cased if it's an available option but nothing wrong shooting the steel cased stuff out of your combloc firearms since it was designed for it. That Hornady Critical Defense they also have in stock at the moment there at Classic is some good defensive ammo if you intend to carry your Mak or keep it ready to go there at the homstead.

Unfortunately they are out of stock but when available the PPU stuff has been my go to Mak load especially in the hollow point variety.

I may snag one of those Red Army 150 packs just to pad my ammo stash here a bit. Thanks for the heads up.

View Quote

You’re welcome, and thank you for the info. I prefer the brass cased rounds for the possibility that I might reload 9x18 in the future. At this point, though, I’ll take what I can get. Who knew people would be hoarding Makarov ammo, too, right?

Ill take a look at the Hornady Critical Defense for sure. And I think AIM still has PPU in stock, both FMJ and hollow points. Hope that helps.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:58:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BB4XL] [#5]
Some Wolf has the Barnaul head stamp. I have gone thru 2 case of it with no problems. I don't like or use Tula.
When I bought the gun I got 2 boxes of Critical defense. and some other assorted stuff. All of it ran fine. Mine is Bulgarian.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:40:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BB4XL:
Some Wolf has the Barnaul head stamp. I have gone thru 2 case of it with no problems. I don't like or use Tula.
When I bought the gun I got 2 boxes of Critical defense. and some other assorted stuff. All of it ran fine. Mine is Bulgarian.
View Quote

Thank you for your reply. And mine is a Bulgarian as well.

I went ahead and ordered a few range packs of the Red Army Standard. I would’ve picked up a few boxes of the Hornady, but Classic required a minimum order of 12 boxes and I didn’t feel like spending a lot at the time.

I’ve heard others complain about the Tula before. I’m curious, what’s so bad about it?

Stay safe out there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a good amount of Red Army.  I use it because the range I shoot at won’t let us use steel case ammo

I haven’t had any problems with any ammo I bought for my Makarov
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:47:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#8]
I wound up shooting some of the Red Army stuff and it shot well out of several of my Maks.  I ordered some more from Classic.  Again thanks for that heads up.  Being brass cased I reclaimed as many as I could.  I might entertain the idea of reloading 9x18 mak at some point now.  The only spent brass cases I had saved before were from the expensive hollow point stuff so I didn't have many to make it worth the effort.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MBUZICHOMA:
I have a good amount of Red Army.  I use it because the range I shoot at won’t let us use steel case ammo

I haven’t had any problems with any ammo I bought for my Makarov
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I haven’t had an opportunity to fire any of the Red Army ammo yet, but I’m sure it’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jeremywills:
I wound up shooting some of the Red Army stuff and it shot well out of several of my Maks.  I ordered some more from Classic.  Again thanks for that heads up.  Being brass cased I reclaimed as many as I could.  I might entertain the idea of reloading 9x18 mak at some point now.  The only spent brass cases I had saved before were from the expensive hollow point stuff so I didn't have many to make it worth the effort.
View Quote

You’re welcome, glad to hear it worked well for you. I’m looking forward to range time with that ammo when I finally get a chance. I’m probably going to order some more of that, and those Hornady loads you recommended, too.
I’m also thinking about getting into reloading 7.62 Tokarev, in addition to the Mak caliber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top