Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2020 4:56:10 PM EDT
I'm looking at either getting a Wiley Clapp CCO or a CCU CCO.  I was considering getting a CCU in 9mm so it would be cheaper to shoot.  I never shoot my 1911 45s I already have.  This one would be shot and carried.  I'm interested in knowing about the reliability of colts 9mm offerings from the last 4 or 5 years.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Interested in the same.   olds kool tag.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately, Colt is still using the traditional barrel design in their 9mm's where there competition uses ramped barrels.  I'd look at a ramped barrel 9mm, especially in the Colt's that use traditional design coupled with an aluminum frame like the CCU.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
just picked up a 9mm Defender. So far very pleased. I think the whole ramped barrel thing is overplayed.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 1:43:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I won a gunbroker auction for a Colt CCU CCO in 9mm tonight.  It was 120$ cheaper than I could find anywhere else. I think I'm going to get some of the 9mm Ed Brown magazines as well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife won a Glock 43 a couple years ago and instead of accepting the Glock we decided to apply the Glock 43 value towards a colt competition 9mm. 70 series. The fit is pretty good,  but could be a little tighter.  The 70 series came with a bull barrel which is very accurate.  The one issue I had from day one was spent brass to the head,  erratic ejection and a stovepipe every now and then. I checked the extractor tension and it was almost non existent. I added some tension and it helped a lot, but the extractor does clock a little which can contribute to the erratic ejection.  I read a lot of good things about the EGW and Wilson bullet proof extractors and decided to try a Wilson.  Some people claim these don't need any adjustment but the one I bought did.  It needed some tension and the pad rounded slightly to fit the extractor channel better.  The Wilson extractor fits very tight without any clocking.  I just installed this this morning, and it passes all the tests,  but I still need to shoot it to confirm.  I enjoy working on my firearms and would have no problem buying another Colt 9mm.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up a stainless 9mm competition in January. Eats any ammo, brass or steel. I’ve run Dawson, McCormick, brownells, metalform and zenith mags with zero problems. Bone stock except new msh/magwell and vz grips cut for magwell. The only issue I’ve had was a failure to battery, from over griping with my thumb riding the slide.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I won a gunbroker auction for a Colt CCU CCO in 9mm tonight.  It was 120$ cheaper than I could find anywhere else. I think I'm going to get some of the 9mm Ed Brown magazines as well.
View Quote

You will enjoy the CCU CCO. Mine has been great, and it my favorite carry.

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I just picked up a Colt Combat Elite Commander in 9mm and...I'm kind of disappointed.

It wouldn't feed for shit with the one included mag. It seemed to feed ok (mostly) from some of the 38 Super mags I took with it to the range, but the factory mag really did not like feeding 147gr Speer Lawman. I don't have any other ammo to test it with and I wasn't about to throw my stocks of HST at it until I can confirm it actually works with factory ball ammo.

The other issue I ran into is the extractor is...bad. Sliding a case under the extractor, it grips it well...but holds it off the breechface. If you push the round against the breechface, the extractor makes contact with the case at the extractor groove bevel and bends outwards; basically the extractor seems to be too long. Because of that, it won't extract/eject for shit, without a magazine in place. I'm not sure it's fixable without a replacement because the amount of material that would need to come off the outer face of the extractor hook would basically wind up shortening the hook itself; there's a large amount of contact.

If I remove the magazine and attempt to do a 10-8 extractor test, it fails miserably every single time. The case either gets munched by the slide, or ejects down the mag well. With a mag in, it functions, but it's blatent that the round is riding either the next round in the magazine towards the ejector, or when it's the last round in the mag, riding the mag feed lips to the ejector...the ejection pattern is noticeably different depending on if there's ammo in the mag or not. (Plus the occasional dropped/munched case between the barrel and slide, too)

I also noticed a slight ridge in the breechface against the left retaining wall; there's a step there. I don't know if it's expected to be there or not; I don't have any other 9mm 1911s...but I'm wondering if a machining step was missed.

I'm going to call Colt today to see if they'll RMA it for the extractor issue. Feeding, I've got a bunch of mags on orders from a couple different makers, so we'll see if it's a mag issue or gun issue, too.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#9]
...and Colt is shut down until Friday, I think. (I think the date they gave was the 17th on the phone answering message but can't remember; it was sometime this week). They said they're getting email...but didn't give an email to send customer service emails to. Oh well. I'll try them again later this week.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top