Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2021 9:34:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1saxman]
Spent a little time this morning fixing some stuff in my PT1911. A few years ago I bought a used one on GB that was supposed to be 'like new' but when I detail-stripped it, it had carbon and gunk inside from about 500 rounds. Whatever, it was cheap but had some really nice features, like great barrel fit, beautiful polishing inside, fine 90-degree checkering, etc. Naturally I started right in on it, taking out the FLGR and putting in the standard G.I. guide rod and spring plug. Both sights were adjusted to the left, so I guess the previous owner sold it because he couldn't correct it from shooting right even though he shifted both sights left. I took it to the range and sighted it in.
Then I went hog wild and refinished it and added new grips (Brownell's Teflon Moly Oven Bake). I installed night sights and sighted those in. Then I screwed up - I took it to the gunsmith at Gander Mountain to have a new hammer, sear and single safety installed. It functioned, but he put a really stiff mainspring in it so it was hard to cock, and the trigger was way too light, 3 lbs or less - a 'hair trigger'. Well, I didn't shoot it much after that and I was thinking about getting rid of it, but felt like I had to make it fully functional first but didn't want to spend any more on it. That led me to do a little research. Then I went ahead and put the original mainspring back in, adjusted the sear spring tines and got a 4.5 lb pull. The recoil spring was a little short so I put a new one in. Then I took some time and cleaned/lubricated the whole thing.
Bottom line, I decided to keep it and I can't wait to shoot it again. It was very accurate the last time I shot it, dead on at 15 yds.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:10:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I like both of mine OP. Haven’t shot them lately. Need to rectify that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#2]
As much as I want to dislike my Tauris PT 1911 it continues to serve me well. The ambidextrous safety broke on my first trip to the range. I fitted a Wilson single side safety at home and it's been GTG ever since. Needless to say we got off on the wrong foot.

I purchased a custom bushing from EGW with .002" clearance and had the factory barrel recrowned by ADCO Firearms. It shoots great and has been reliable.

The best part for me is it's a knock around firearm that I don't worry about dinging up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top