Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2022 8:36:27 PM EDT
I want to put a red dot on my 25 year old "classic, old school" DE with just the two cuts in the top of the barrel for whatever.

The Sig Romeo5XDR won't fit in either the front nor rear due to the length of the Romeo base and the curvature at either end of the barrel.  Plus, unlike the regular ROMEO5, it is set for Picatinny rails and not for just any rail.  My bad - missed this issue at purchase time due to Martini Poisoning.

I'd really like to find a Picatinny that will drop into those two slots that will let me mount my brand new and unusable ROMEO5XDR on my classic blued DE.

I could put a different base on the optic and use most any rail, but I'd prefer to use the dark earth mount that came with the optic which requires a Picatinny.

I really don't want to have to return this optic.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have the old catalog from the 80s era DE.

There was a part number for the Mount.

I used one with an Aimpoint 1000 on mine.

The catalog has the part number, and they come up from time to time on eBay, etc.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#2]
All the scope bases I have ever seen for the desert eagles are for the older MkI and MkVII models that have the 3/8 dovetail.
When they changed to the MkXIX, the changed to the two slot weaver type base, and the scope base/rail was no longer needed as you simply mounted weaver rings directly to the barrel.

They later changed (I do not know what year) to the current design picatinny rail on on the barrels.

You might be better off buying a newer model barrel with the picatinny rail and selling your older two slot barrel.

What caliber and length is your current barrel?
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting, I learned something new.
Had no idea they made a rail for the two slot barrels.

And also, I can not believe you cut down a 10 inch two slot barrel!
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 9:56:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GarrettJ] [#5]
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I was wrong, the part number is not in the catalog that was in my box.
It’s the one I got back then though.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#8]
A birdcage style flash hider on a 14 inch barrel, and in a factory brochure. Never seen that bore, did not know they even did that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, they had some very nicely done catalogs and advertising.

I’ve told the story before, but essentially I was an 11B in Ranger Bn and wanted a 44 Automag.  My buddy was the same and wanted a Bren 10.  This was the 80s.

There was an older guy that had been in Ranger Bn as an 11B, went to the Q course, became an 11BS Green Beret, came back for Plarron Serveant time in order to make E8, went back to SF to be a Team Sergeant, came back for 1SG to help make E9, (but ended up retiring.  He was from the area.  (And also obviously he started when SF was a feeder MOS with S identifier in stead of its own 18 series MOS and full career track.). And his gig was to be the pawn shop right outside of the gates FFL and become an SOT for his toys, etc.  And he still made a living but was best deal in anything in town for guys from his former unit.

We were young and dumb and he explained to me that the gun I wanted didn’t really shoot 44 Magnum, was very expensive, not being made anymore, ammo was a pain in the ass, etc. and showed me the DE.  And for 800 bucks, a months pay after taxes for me then, and close to 2K in today’s dollars.

My buddy was told how the Bren was also in a mess production and availability wise and the magazine shortages, etc. and showed him a delta elite.  He bought that and the era Norma full power 10mm ammo.

At some point after we went another retired 11BS’s house who ran a side gun smithing business out of a room in his house.  Back then when you bought a new 1911 style pistol it needed polishing of the feed ramp, extractor tuning, ejection port work, etc. to run fully reliably and feed hollow points, etc.

This was the kind of guy who had stamped stuff and built ARs when it was VERY uncommon compared to now.  The sort of dude that answers his door with a Witness Protection 870 in hand and gets buddies to group buy ammo by the pallet, etc.  And also a SOT that had whipped upped hundreds of AR-15 DIAS to sell before the registry closed.  Think 40 year old perennial bachelor with a medallion, cool shades, popped collar, bunch of undone buttons, banging drunk chicks from bars half his age every night driving a corvette magnum PI looking dude.  Anyways, he had a bunch of Aimpoint 1000s to sell and ordered me the mount for the DE.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one for the old school laying around if you want to IM me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top