Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2020 4:48:11 PM EDT
Been practicing with my rmr so I can find the dot quickly, but the window is small.  Is the Holosun window larger?  Will a larger window help?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If you improve the consistency of your presentation it will not matter.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Been practicing with my rmr so I can find the dot quickly, but the window is small.  Is the Holosun window larger?  Will a larger window help?
View Quote
Yes and Yes though you need to work on making your presentation consistent. Make sure the gun is coming up under your dominant eye and then pushing the gun out towards the target with it being parallel to the ground.   A larger window also aids in tracking the dot through muzzle lift
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  Kinda wish I'd gone with the Holosun instead of RMR as its half the price and has a bigger window.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The window being a bit bigger helps a little, but I think for newbies what helps is the giant 32MOA circle around the dot.  A sloppy presentation will still show the bottom or side of the circle.  I personally think the circle is too small and makes the sight picture way too busy at things closer 25Y--I think maybe they should go to a 48MOA circle (or the 6MOA like the new 407Ks are moving to--the 8MOA ring that was 2MOA thick wasn't bad).

Also getting the RDS lower on your slide helps a lot--a Shield RMS that cowitness with OEM sights is a lot easier to use for me than a DPP.

Other than that, it's all about practice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#5]
It's all in the presentation, which only comes through a lot of reps. Doesn't have to be anything crazy, just do a handful of draws per day with an empty gun and you'll notice the improvement.

The dot messes with people who are new to it because it doesn't provide a point of reference until you have the pistol pressed out. Iron sights are physically present and viewable the second the pistol starts to enter your line of sight, which makes it feel more forgiving (it's not in actuality).
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
This
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Having a bigger window allows you to do what you’ve been doing with irons for years...
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#9]
We settled on the RMR for our duty weapons.

Our transition training has been focus on target when presenting the gun and the dot will appear just fine.

It seems to be working, even with our old timers.  (I'm one of the old timers)
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:42:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks.  Kinda wish I'd gone with the Holosun instead of RMR as its half the price and has a bigger window.
View Quote
Indian vs arrow....
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 2:21:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Want to trade? I have one mounted but unused
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 2:38:16 AM EDT
[#12]
You can use the circle dot reticle to get your presentations down.  The ring is alot easier to find when you starting out.  After a while go back to just the dot and you should be there.  May have to go back and forth a couple times.  But that is what I have been doing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Indian vs arrow....
View Quote
Not quite
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not quite
View Quote
It's not totally untrue.

The reason many can't "find the dot" is because they have a poor presentation. That does not change using irons or a RDS, but the RDS does allow you to track what the gun is doing.

I typically hand someone a RDS pistol that has backup irons on it. When they say they can't see the dot, I tell them to hold the gun still and confirm if the irons are aligned. 99% of the time they are not aligned. The difference is that with irons, people will subconsciously align the irons after quickly seeing they are misaligned. "Front is high. Push muzzle down" With the dot, it's missing in the window and they panic.

Larger windows have the advantage of allowing for a larger margin of error, but they don't fix your presentation.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#16]
OP,

Do you have suppressor height iron sights on your pistol with the Holosun sight?  If so, dry fire practice using it with the Holosun off.  Do 10 sets of 100 reps of draw strokes over several days.  Once you build the muscle memory and can draw the gun and have the iron sights aligned turn the Holosun back on.  You should find that the dot will be in your sights.  Continue doing sets or 100 reps draw strokes...
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I have used both while I like the Holosun window more the large window is not going to help you find the dot.  Practice practice practice is going to help you the most.  If you are still presenting the pistol looking for the irons instead of the dot you are not going to find it faster on either RDS.  Sit in front of your TV with the pistol unloaded and practice bring the pistol up and presenting it for your eyes.  Do it over and over and over.  Every time you pick up the pistol do this and just keep doing it.  Eventually it will become natural that every time you bring the pistol and sight into your vision you will see the dot ready to go.

Not going to lie and say it was an overnight change it took me time to get used to presenting the pistol and the dot was centered the in window.  It took me going to the range and drawing the pistol presenting and reholstering repeated times before even firing.  Then repeated draw fire reholster repeat.  If you put the effort into it and have a timer you will see your hard work pay off on the timer.  Now that I have the presentation down my times versus irons on first shot from draw are faster.  Consistently 1/4-1/2 second faster on average I do have some flukes where I am way faster.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Having owned both, yes the bigger window, combined with the 32 MOA circle dot, helps. Presentation makes all the difference with a conventional draw, however the bigger window and reticle really shine in awkward positions and with those new to the dot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Having owned both, yes the bigger window, combined with the 32 MOA circle dot, helps. Presentation makes all the difference with a conventional draw, however the bigger window and reticle really shine in awkward positions and with those new to the dot.
View Quote
This is literally the only time when I've found relative parity between irons and an MRDS. If you're shooting from a very awkward angle (on your back, on your side), it's easier to get irons lined up as they begin to appear in your field of view almost immediately. The glass window doesn't give you much of a reference point until the pistol is completely pressed out.

Obviously, this is going to be a fraction of total round count for 99% of us. The benefits of the dot in all other scenarios are immense.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is literally the only time when I've found relative parity between irons and an MRDS. If you're shooting from a very awkward angle (on your back, on your side), it's easier to get irons lined up as they begin to appear in your field of view almost immediately. The glass window doesn't give you much of a reference point until the pistol is completely pressed out.

Obviously, this is going to be a fraction of total round count for 99% of us. The benefits of the dot in all other scenarios are immense.
View Quote
I’ve found the same to be true strong and weak hand. Of course I don’t practice those nearly enough.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's not totally untrue.
View Quote
That might be the reason I put "not quite".  Most people saying that window size doesnt matter are simply parroting what they've seen said online and dont have experience with optics of various types, aka they havent spent time on anything other than a RMR and have yet to see how a large window is helpful for those times when your presentation are less than perfect and the other benefits seen with a larger widow.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That might be the reason I put "not quite".  Most people saying that window size doesnt matter are simply parroting what they've seen said online and dont have experience with optics of various types, aka they havent spent time on anything other than a RMR and have yet to see how a large window is helpful for those times when your presentation are less than perfect and the other benefits seen with a larger widow.
View Quote
A larger window helps. Not so much for inexperienced shooters, but it helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top