Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2020 9:06:20 PM EDT
This is about double stack feed issues.  Had a para fancy black ops that wouldn't make it through a mag.

Anyone have experience with these?  Do they feed reliably?  Saw one at a gun shop today, held it and am intrigued.  Have had single stack Rock Islands and they were fine.

This one is heavy, still a little unrefined, curious if it's a good foray into 10mm.Attachment Attached File

It was 759.99 at the shop.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Buddy has one, it went back to replace what appeared to be a hard drop with slide stop engaged (dealer or factory issue).  After that it's run like a top.  I've got a couple mags thru it, handles well.  

That said, I prefer a G40.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got it. Wouldn't trust my life with it that's for sure. Couldn't make it through more than a few shots when I first got it. Went back to the mfg. Came back much better, but certainly not perfect. Haven't put a whole lot of rounds through it, or tried much for different ammo. I think some more rounds and finding out what ammo it likes it would be a fine and fun range gun, but that's really all I got it for anyway.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Brother owns one and loves it.  I have shot it a bit.  There have not been any problems with it as far as I know.   I also own the 10mm single stack.  I have had no issues with it.   I also own several RI and have had no real problems with any of them.   Another  buddy owns the 10mm single stack and we needed to do some minor tweaking to get it to run really well.  

It is definitely a heavy chunk of steel.   Good luck with your decision!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Appreciate the input.   I have a couple colts and Springfields.  The para scared me off of double stacks.  The weight probably tames the 10mm some I would think.

I've tried to like glocks, and I'll still pick them up if I see them for the right price thinking something will change.  I like all guns but glocks arent me.  Great trade fodder though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I shot one in .40 in Limited for a year

I feel like a broken record since I post this every time a thread comes up on them, but it was a pain in the butt to get the mags to be reliable in mine.

And just another anecdote, I just helped my buddy get his single stack rock island 10mm running. The extractor basically wasn't tuned at all from the factory so it didn't feed right, and there were some very noticeable machining burrs on the barrel ramp.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#6]
RIA single stacks hardly run reliably, no way would I trust them to make a decent double stack. If your heart is set on a double stack then I’d try to find a STI DS10. I don’t think they made very many of them though and you almost never see them for sale so you’ll definitely pay a premium but you’ll get a good gun.

Or just hit the easy button and get a G20 or G40.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a 40 double stack and it ran great. Bought a 10mm barrel and it was great also. Sold it a while back. Still have a double stack 45. The 40/10 had a ramped barrel.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RIA single stacks hardly run reliably, no way would I trust them to make a decent double stack. If your heart is set on a double stack then I’d try to find a STI DS10. I don’t think they made very many of them though and you almost never see them for sale so you’ll definitely pay a premium but you’ll get a good gun.

View Quote

Virtually every person on this site with a single stack RIA reports they are reliable. Myself included.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one a couple of months ago. Due to limited ammo availability and crappy weather, I've only put one box of cheaper ammo through it. No problems so far. I like it.
Attachment Attached File

Only thing is that I haven't been able to find any more mags for it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Have one in 10mm. Mine has been 100% but I'm also just using FMJ because I be poor.  

I use mine as a truck gun, I have a couple of extra mags, so 10mm goodness is comforting.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:00:08 AM EDT
[#11]
My son has the 6" Big Rock. Great shooter, very reliable. I like shooting it better than his Glock 10mm.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#12]
No issues with mine with or without a can.

Hold out for the threaded barrel one.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#13]
My RIA single stack has been reliable. Accurate too. No idea on the double stacks.
My 10mm is a Colt Delta Gold Cup upper which now resides on a Caspian frame. I bought it decades ago when it was mounted on a Crown City Arms frame. No idea where the original frame is.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:08:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I've lost count of how many rounds I've put through my buddy's Rock Island double stack. I do know that it has yet to choke for either him or I.  This is only partially relevant as his is chambered in 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#15]
My buddy has this one. I like big guns and have big hands but I could not get a solid grip with it to save my life. Shot 100% with factory 10 and 40 and soft recoil (but not reliable without a spring change) with sub-minor 40 loads.

Fit and finish were acceptable
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I bought one a couple of months ago. Due to limited ammo availability and crappy weather, I've only put one box of cheaper ammo through it. No problems so far. I like it.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/350389/20201014_155942_2_jpg-1757713.JPG
Only thing is that I haven't been able to find any more mags for it.
View Quote

When I bought mine from buds I immediately bought 5 more mags from advanced tactical a couple years ago.

They are out of stock on double stack mags but I did request to be notified when back in stock.

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine is spot on reliable. I found that early made in Canada Para mags fit, and more recent ( MegGar) magazines I have old "DP" (Dillon?) mag pads with with the steel mag base drilled and trimmed to fit the magwell.

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why is that? My son has a doublestack 10mm and a doublestack .22TCM/9mm and both of them have been perfect.

As far as STIs, my son's two RIAs were a lot more dependable than his $2K+ STI that had to go back to the factory.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#19]
OP buy anything yet or is he just a tease.

@ChickenWilly
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP buy anything yet or is he just a tease.

@ChickenWilly
View Quote

I'm concerned about mag availability for the rock.   In light of recent events I  bought 2 sets of DD iron sights and 20 okay mags at a lgs.  I'll probably get more mags and more slings.  Need mag pouches.

Funny story.  I posted about buying the sights in the mag thread.  Went back to buy mags after Capitol down and the guy is like, "hey, ChickenWilly,  right?  Took me half a second.  He saw the thread and put it together.  Pretty impressive, guy

Even hooked me up on mags.  Kinda want to shill for him but not sure what is cool.

So, no double stack 1911.  I have 4 single stacks though. Gonna get colt officers back from my stepdad too.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#21]
After two months of searching I lucked out and found the mec gar mags in stock. I ordered three and they shipped yesterday, so if USPS doesn't lose them I should be in business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top