Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2018 8:41:02 PM EDT
Exactly as the title says, the guide came unscrewed from the cap and now it is impossible to take apart fully or put back together. IDK what to do other then toss it in the trash, I've just being having a bad day and this could not have happened at a better time, I have put only 150 rounds through this gun and it was unfired before I got it.

No I did not try to unscrew the guide rod when I stripped and oiled it before the first time I took it out.

I will post pictures as soon as I can.

Edit:I managed to screw it back in via vise grips somewhat, hopefully I can get it back together, as soon as that happens it's gone, this was my first 1911, and now I have zero urge to ever touch one again.

Edit 2:it is bushingless, and the guide rod isn't all the way unscrewed.

Edit 3: the I put the slide on after it was screwed back in slightly and pulled back to see if i couldn't put in the catch to get to the takedown hole on the guide rod, that apparently was enough to completely unscrew the guide rod, but the rod didn't come out, instead the cap flew off as soon as I took the slide off and the spring fucked itself.

EDIT 4: I had the guide rod mostly back into the cap but cycling the slide completely unscrews it.

Edit 5: I finally got it apart, according to RIA there is supposed to be loctite on the threads of the cap, but there isn't any, thank you to those that helped.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you call RIA?
View Quote
X2

You can give it to me if it’s going to the trash.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Did you call RIA?
View Quote
It happened a few hours ago, they didn't pick up so I assume they are closed after 4pm (whatever time that is for them).

I managed to screw it back in via vise grips somewhat, hopefully I can get it back together, as soon as that happens it's gone, this was my first 1911, and now I have zero urge to ever touch one again.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Send it back and they will fix it, just use my address as return address.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
If the guide rod is out, why not remove the barrel bushing and disassemble the gun?  You don't sound like you are a very good bowler............
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If the guide rod is out, why not remove the barrel bushing and disassemble the gun?  You don't sound like you are a very good bowler............
View Quote
it is a bushingless gun, the guide rod is not all the way out, I'm sorry I didn't specify.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#7]
RIA doesn't exactly set the bar in the world of 1911s. Hard to judge 1911 platform by one of the cheapest examples made.
But- RIA has good customer service.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Exactly as the title says, the guide came unscrewed from the cap and now it is impossible to take apart fully or put back together. IDK what to do other then toss it in the trash, I've just being having a bad day and this could not have happened at a better time, I have put only 150 rounds through this gun and it was unfired before I got it.

No I did not try to unscrew the guide rod when I stripped and oiled it before the first time I took it out.

Edit:I managed to screw it back in via vise grips somewhat, hopefully I can get it back together, as soon as that happens it's gone, this was my first 1911, and now I have zero urge to ever touch one again.
View Quote
Translation:
I purchased the greatest gun ever designed, but put zero effort into learning how it operated, and when I neglected a stupid simple bit of maintenence, the front fell off, now, since I put zero effort into learning how this gun operates, I posted on arfcom instead of googling how to reinstall the part without damaging it.  Then , when people posted, I went and found the most destructive possible tool to try to reassemble it.

Dude, if you purchase a gun, it is your absolute responsibility to learn how to competently operate it.  That you put 150 rounds through it means you should have already educated yourself, but failed.  Get thee to google and learn.  You don't have to thank me, but you should heed me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't understand how you re having this much trouble with a two-piece guiderod, or why you couldn't disassemble it.

I'll be happy to dispose of it for you, though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#10]
How about removing the slide stop, and taking the entire top off as one piece.
Deal with it from there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Translation:
I purchased the greatest gun ever designed, but put zero effort into learning how it operated, and when I neglected a stupid simple bit of maintenence, the front fell off, now, since I put zero effort into learning how this gun operates, I posted on arfcom instead of googling how to reinstall the part without damaging it.  Then , when people posted, I went and found the most destructive possible tool to try to reassemble it.

Dude, if you purchase a gun, it is your absolute responsibility to learn how to competently operate it.  That you put 150 rounds through it means you should have already educated yourself, but failed.  Get thee to google and learn.  You don't have to thank me, but you should heed me.
View Quote
I didn't neglect shit, how the fuck is it my fault the guide rod unscrewed itself, it shouldn't have happened, I did google and found according to RIA it shouldn't be able to do this. I simply used the vise grips to grap on to the end of guide rod protruding from the from to screw it back into the cap.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't understand how you re having this much trouble with a two-piece guiderod, or why you couldn't disassemble it.

I'll be happy to dispose of it for you, though.
View Quote
Not a two piece as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How about removing the slide stop, and taking the entire top off as one piece.
Deal with it from there.
View Quote
I did.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Meh. Don't be a baby. Happened to me too and they just sent me a new rod. Haven't had any trouble since.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Meh. Don't be a baby. Happened to me too and they just sent me a new rod. Haven't had any trouble since.
View Quote
The rod isn't the issue. It unscrewed from the cap.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Translation:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Translation:

Not to mention the specific model purchased is a more advanced variant that takes more understanding than a standard GI model.

I feel like the brand doesn't matter OP would have had a problem with any manufacturers version.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Why all the drama? Just contact RIA. They have a good CS reputation.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It happened a few hours ago, they didn't pick up so I assume they are closed after 4pm (whatever time that is for them).

I managed to screw it back in via vise grips somewhat, hopefully I can get it back together, as soon as that happens it's gone, this was my first 1911, and now I have zero urge to ever touch one again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you call RIA?

Ah, yes... vice grips. Your one step away from a dremmel tool....
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not to mention the specific model purchased is a more advanced variant that takes more understanding than a standard GI model.

I feel like the brand doesn't matter OP would have had a problem with any manufacturers version.
View Quote
RIA is the only manufacturer that uses this style of guide rod as far as I can tell.

I did more googling because fuck me for asking for help on a forum, and found one other case of exactly what happened to me, it boiled down to a manufacturing/assembly defect that there is nothing I could have done anything about.

I also looked in the manual for the 7 millionth time since I purchased it and the manual lacks the exploded view for this exact model.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
it was to grap ahold of the front of the guide rod, I was tired of crushing my fingers every time they slipped.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
RIA is the only manufacturer that uses this style of guide rod as far as I can tell.

I did more googling because fuck me for asking for help on a forum, and found one other case of exactly what happened to me, it boiled down to a manufacturing/assembly defect that there is nothing I could have done anything about.

I also looked in the manual for the 7 millionth time since I purchased it and the manual lacks the exploded view for this exact model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, when your first inclination when running into an issue is to throw the gun version of a tantrum and say you're going to throw it in the trash, what real purpose is there of trying to help if you've already given up before trying anything else?

If your OP would have been "Hey my thing broke, here are some pics, any ideas? I guarantee you would have gotten WAY different reactions.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#22]
PM me with your address I have a spare.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, when your first inclination when running into an issue is to throw the gun version of a tantrum and say you're going to throw it in the trash, what real purpose is there of trying to help if you've already given up before trying anything else?

If your OP would have been "Hey my thing broke, here are some pics, any ideas? I guarantee you would have gotten WAY different reactions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry I've just been having a bad day, I was about to post pictures, then I made some progress only to get my finger crushed. The shitty "you are a retard hur dur you shouldn't own the best weapon in the world" posts kind of side tracked me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
PM me with your address I have a spare.
View Quote
Don't worry about it, thank you for the offer though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I want to see a picture because I can't visualize what unscrewed.  I know what the guide rod is (!) but if it's one piece what unscrewed?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I want to see a picture because I can't visualize what unscrewed.  I know what the guide rod is (!) but if it's one piece what unscrewed?
View Quote
RIA has a one piece guide rod that unscrews from the cap, it was supposed to be covered in loctite, but as you can see, it wasn't. There was nothing I could have done to prevent it, there was no maintenance that I skipped, simply an assembly issue.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I gotcha now. I went through the safe and dragged out my brothers TAC 2 and then watched a Youtube video.

My pistol isn't apart for comparison but I wonder if you could compress just a few coils of the spring, enough to give you some slack, and then get it screwed back together?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I gotcha now. I went through the safe and dragged out my brothers TAC 2 and then watched a Youtube video.

My pistol isn't apart for comparison but I wonder if you could compress just a few coils of the spring, enough to give you some slack, and then get it screwed back together?
View Quote
No matter what though, the spring unscrews the guide rod from the cap, so I don't understand how to prevent it from loosening up all the time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#29]
That's why real 1911 guys don't mess with anything but g.i. guide rods and plugs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's why real 1911 guys don't mess with anything but g.i. guide rods and plugs.
View Quote
Real 1911 guys also seem to do a lot of talking out of their asses. I realize that pictures would have helped, and that I should have calmed down before I typed anything out, but the know it all attitudes don't help.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, maybe de-grease it really well. Both parts. Reassemble and use some permanent Loctite. Maybe even stake it if that's possible. Then get RIA to send you a new one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well, maybe de-grease it really well. Both parts. Reassemble and use some permanent Loctite. Maybe even stake it if that's possible. Then get RIA to send you a new one.
View Quote
That's pretty much my plan at this point, I wonder how common this is.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:23:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Real 1911 guys also seem to do a lot of talking out of their asses. I realize that pictures would have helped, and that I should have calmed down before I typed anything out, but the know it all attitudes don't help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure his comment has to do with the guide rod RIA chose for this gun, not your choice OP. Full length guide rods in 1911s are unnecessary. Especially two piece versions.
ETA- In 5" barrel government models, the GI guide and plug is the way to go, and inexpensive too. BTW, if you clean the threads and apply red loctite to them and reassemble, it won't come apart again. It is VERY common for it to come apart if it was finger tight with no thread locker. It probably made it through assembly at the factory like that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
RIA doesn't exactly set the bar in the world of 1911s. Hard to judge 1911 platform by one of the cheapest examples made.
But- RIA has good customer service.
View Quote
I haven’t had any troubles with my 4 RIAs, and 2 are the model that OP has.
Maybe he should read the owner’s manual and check YouTube?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL.  No fair, that your name also has "Coyote" in it.  Are you related?

So who's next?  You know, to try doing repairs?

Aloha, Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top