Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2023 9:01:06 PM EDT
I recently shot a box of PriviPartizan 38 lead RN ammo through a snubbie and this ammo has left an incredible amound of leading in the barrel.

A standard brass/bronze bristle brush won't get it out and neither did using a "Tornado Brush". My go-to cleaner for years has been Hoppe's Elite (now rebranded as M-Pro 7) and while it works great in semi-auto barrels using jacketed or powder-coat/polymer coated bullets it doesn't do anything in regard to my present problem.

I will buy a bottle of Hoppe's No. 9 as that's the least expensive fix.

Years ago we'd buy Chore Boy copper cleaning pads, cut them up, and wrap the strands around a brass/bronze brush to remove leading but I am reading that these pads are no longer pure copper...that the new ones are copper-washed stainless steel. ETA: the Chore Boy site says that their "Ultimate" scrubbers (sold as a 2-pack) are pure copper. No steel.

https://choreboyscrubbers.com/chore-boy-products/copper-scouring-pads/

Any suggestions? The cheaper the better.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the same experience with PPU lrn, shooting 150rds through my S&W 64.  Barrel looked like it was smoothbore.  It took a good application of #9 and a chamber brush (not bore brush) to get it clean.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Look up Lewis Lead Remover
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I recently shot a box of PriviPartizan 38 lead RN ammo through a snubbie and this ammo has left an incredible amound of leading in the barrel.

A standard brass/bronze bristle brush won't get it out and neither did using a "Tornado Brush". My go-to cleaner for years has been Hoppe's Elite (now rebranded as M-Pro 7) and while it works great in semi-auto barrels using jacketed or powder-coat/polymer coated bullets it doesn't do anything in regard to my present problem.

I will buy a bottle of Hoppe's No. 9 as that's the least expensive fix.

Years ago we'd buy Chore Boy copper cleaning pads, cut them up, and wrap the strands around a brass/bronze brush to remove leading but I am reading that these pads are no longer pure copper...that the new ones are copper-washed stainless steel. ETA: the Chore Boy site says that their "Ultimate" scrubbers (sold as a 2-pack) are pure copper. No steel.

https://choreboyscrubbers.com/chore-boy-products/copper-scouring-pads/

Any suggestions? The cheaper the better.
View Quote

Shop around on the chore boys.  Supermarket had copper clad steel.   Walmart had all copper scrubbers.

Shooter’s choice has a lead solvent.  It was decent but I did not replace it.   I use Ed’s red homemade sauce.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look up Lewis Lead Remover
View Quote

Choreboy strands worked better for me.  I tried using the LLR and always felt it was too snug and I was going to break it.  Worn out bore brushes are cheaper than replacement bronze screens.   I shoot cast lead because I am frugal.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Kleenbore lead away patches work to a certain degree.  Big lumps in the bore may take a while.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I had the same thing happen when I was shooting lead bullets that were loaded too fast, and I shot a LOT that day.  It was a smoothbore.

#9 and a bronze brush barely made a dent.  After a while I just gave up and shot some copper jacketed very hot .357 rounds through mine, and that did the trick.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The 100% copper Chore Boy on a used brush works, the best option is the Lewis Lead Remover kit from Brownell's.
All the older revolver and lead bullet auto guys had a Lewis tool.
It pulls the lead out with no risk.
The trick is to back off the nut on the rubber head for the first pass or two.

Another, slower method is to liberally apply Kroil in the bore and let soak a day or so, then brush it out.
The Kroil is such an effective penetrating fluid that it infiltrates under the leading and loosens it.

"Shooting the lead out" with jacketed bullets is something people do for years, then one day they suddenly have a ring or bulge in the barrel.
When fired down a leaded bore the jacketed bullet has to push the leading in front of it like the bow wave of a boat.
Just a little more leading then usual and the leading can't be pushed fast enough and pressures soar.  Result is something has to give and you get a ringed or bulged barrel.

In addition, some of the lead gets ironed onto the bore in a thin plating of lead.
This is difficult to see and sometimes the first sign of trouble is when a bit flakes off, exposing a pit in the bore.

To clean leading from chambers, Bronze chamber brushes from Brownell's are best.
These are not just larger diameter, they're made of a stiffer bristle then a bore brush.
Usually one pass through a chamber will remove all leading and fouling.
Don't use stainless steel brushes, they can ruin a chamber.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Smyth Busters: Will Shooting Jacketed Ammo Clean My Barrel?

As the LGS (which is also a hardware store) is just down the street I went there this morning and did not find any of the Chore Boy pads I wanted. They did have Hoppe's No. 9. Will have to go to various supermarkets to look for the copper scrubbers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Still haven't found the Chore Boy scrubbers but since I now have Hoppe's No. 9 I went to work on the barrel.

Soaked a patch in solvent and let it sit in barrel for several minutes then scrubbed it with a Pro-Shot 38 Spl. bronze bore brush.

The results were immediate. A shower of lead particles ranging from tiny flakes and splinters to 1/2" long 1/8" wide shards. Repeated the process several times alternating between the bore brush and a Hoppe's Tornado brush. Also scraped some stubborn spots near the muzzle with a polymer gun cleaning pick.

Barrel is now about 99.5% free of lead. Don't have any immediate plans to shoot this firearm but when I score those copper pads I'll work on removing the rest.

ETA: I found the Chore Boy Ultimate Scrubber 2-pack at a nearby Food Lion supermarket. $3.79

Again ran a No. 9-soaked patch through the barrel and let it sit in there for five minutes then ran the copper strand-wrapped bore brush back and forth for about 30 seconds. BARREL IS SPOTLESS. NO LEAD FOULING.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a 22LR pistol that did the same thing
Stainless steel brush and it comes out as dust
It takes time
Do it outside
You don’t need to breathe it
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Old school way I was told about was to use mercury. Poor it in a plugged barrell and work it back and forth.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 5:35:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Use a Tornado brush, makes short work out of stubborn lead fouling for a few bucks, reusable too.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#13]
What about a sonic cleaning
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Ultrasonic cleaners can help, but won't remove most leading.

Still the best way to remove leading is a Lewis Lead Remover, a few strands of 100% REAL Copper Chore Boy wrapped around a brush, or a soak of a day or so with Kroil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top