Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2019 9:42:27 AM EDT
I recently bought a new Ruger BearCat Shopkeeper and it is difficult to cock. It has a hitch in its giddy up about halfway through. I bought a Vaquero at the same time and it's as smooth as butter.

My question is, is your BearCat hard to cock? Is it a result of the miniaturization of the action?  Or does mine need to go back to Ruger for adjustment?  
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I played with mine last night and it acted the way it should. Nothing like you described. You should call Ruger.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I played with mine last night and it acted the way it should. Nothing like you described. You should call Ruger.
View Quote
Thanks.  I sent them an email this morning.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks.  I sent them an email this morning.
View Quote
Not normal at all. Better off to call Ruger to get the ball rolling. It will be 2 days before you hear back from Ruger, and they will require you call them for service anyhow.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#4]
When I first got mine, the timing was off and it was throwing lead. I sent it to Ruger, and they fixed it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Since then, the only problem I've had is sometimes the cylinder wouldn't turn, like you're describing. I found that the chambers all seem very tight, and after even a small amount of shooting the rounds don't go in very easily. I have to push each round all the way in, or the rim will stop the cylinder from turning. I had to use a small screwdriver, because once it was turned that far I couldn't back it up or remove the cylinder.

I don't know if yours happens like that, or if it only happens with the gun unloaded, but it may be something to watch for.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#5]
When my youngest son was born, my dad bought both of my boys bearcats because he said every boy needed a .22 pistol. Both have been shot for years without a hiccup.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Sent it back to Ruger.  They paid shipping both ways. Came back fixed.  Put a reduced power Wolfe hammer spring in it.  Took it to the range this morning.  Works like a champ.  Very smooth.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a used standard that I traded for.
It acted kind of like that for a bit and I thought I got taken but I pulled the cylinder out and cycled it a few times.
Back together and fine ever since.
Aim is a bit off though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I got the black one with the fluted cylinder about two months ago.

Locked up on me several times and the hammer was hard to pull back.

I found some Ruger videos on YouTube that show how to completely disassemble and reassemble the trigger group.

I took it apart and polished everything with a felt wheel and some Dremel compound.
It is smoother than my stainless Bearcat now!

Bad QC I guess.

Ruger would have fixed it but I honestly didn’t want to be without it for a week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top