Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2020 3:43:16 PM EDT
Can’t get through a mag without it failing to eject a case. Will partially extract a case leaving it half in the chamber. Drop mag, drop slide, pull slide and it flips out as it should, reinsert mag, gtg. Till it happens a few rounds later.

Do I need to remove, clean and reinstall the extractor? Does it need a new extractor spring?

Just got this one a couple months ago first range trip was more than frustrating. The one I bought several years ago I’ve put a thousand rounds through with not a single issue.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#1]
All of the above.

Remove, clean, and inspect the extractor and spring. It might just need a good cleaning or worse case a new spring or new extractor. Sometimes if the extractor is a little worn, you can get by with reshaping it.

Also, what ammo are you using? Sometimes a failure to extract can be ammo related due to slightly under powered ammo. I had problems with my Firestar M40 years ago with stove pipes and failures to extract and it was definitely the ammo causing it. The problem ammo was Remington/UMC ammo.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Given the age of these guns I would tend to look at the extractor getting sticky.  A removal and cleaning of the extractor and where it sits in the slide would be my first thing to do.  When reinstalling be sure to use non-gumming oil.  When oils get old and gummy things tend to stick.  If the bottle doesn't say non-gumming it isn't.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:55:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluebayou] [#3]
I replaced the extractor and spring simultaneously, one of the two solved my extraction problem.  Previously, i tried cleaning the slot, but it did not improve.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 12:36:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Is there any way of getting an ambi safety on one of those?
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By feudist:
View Quote

only if you fabricate one yourself
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DCopp:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DCopp:
Originally Posted By feudist:

The Firestars have ambi safeties but I doubt that they will fit the BM frame. I don't know how close in size the BM frame is to the Firestar M43 frame or if parts will interchange.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I would also polish the chamber.   Chuck a brass brush with a thin cotton cloth over it in a drill   I use a t-shirt patch. Cover in Flitz or Mothers metal polish.
That will shine it up and make extraction even better
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top