Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2020 10:17:47 AM EDT
Cross posted from Revolvers

Let me start off by saying I have zero experience with SA revolvers.

I currently only own older S&W K-frames and an Interarms Rossi .357 for revolvers, and I’ve been thinking I wanted a big bore revolver.

This revolver has come up for sale locally:

Attachment Attached File

Seller’s description:

Ruger New model Blackhawk 45 7 1/2" $375

used family farm gun, boxed for years.

Internals jammed with storage grease took a while to free up action.

Bore good, external wear but not corroded.

View Quote

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally I would be all over it.  But I love Blackhawks.

Look at it, make sure action works ok.  If all good I would buy in a heartbeat.  

Years ago I had a Smith 25-5 in 45LC.  I’ve always wanted another gun in that caliber.  Good caliber to reload for.  In that gun you can load powder puffs all the way up to bear loads.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as it isn’t broken that seems like a pretty good price to me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, that is a good deal on that gun.

That said, the 45 colt caliber is really a hand loaders caliber. You can get ammunition for it but it is not going to be nearly as available as 44mag. The other issue is that much of what is available is built to be shot out of the older Colt Peacemaker revolvers as such it is fairly anemic from a power standpoint. There are places like Garrett, Double Tap, and Buffalo Bore that make real kick ass 45 colt loads but there is not too much middle ground.

If you hand load the 45 colt can be loaded up to some pretty astounding levels in a Ruger. Definitely a viable caliber for anything that lives in North America.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a good price as long as it's in good working condition.  I'm not a fan of the long barrels but that's just me.  I love Ruger single action revolvers regardless of type.  My most treasured SA is my stainless Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt/acp.  I have .357 double action revolvers, also Ruger, but I've always preferred .45 Colt for single action.  Like others mentioned it's best if you reload.  

I have been considering a Ruger Vaquero in .357 magnum.  Something with a 4.62" barrel and birdshead grip.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd fo
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#6]
If so you don't want it to my t I know if if rhaym looking for that type of wheel gun!

Since you found it first I'll tell you I'd jump on that like so quick! Yes 45 LC is a hand loader round unless you buy stuff from Underwood, Buffalo bore, and Doubletap! That wheel gun can take it all in North America the 45 LC can take any game!

It is also popular in Africa also! Have not talked to anyone in Africa just read that it is the sidearm of many African Safari guides. Again just read that don't know if that is true.

What I do know is that it has taken every North America game! To me that says a lot it can take a Grizzly bear or polar bear!

Again I'd jump on that fast! If you don't like it you can always sell it to me!
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I would hit that for $375.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 1:55:48 AM EDT
[#8]
As long as it's in good working condition that's a good price.  I'd buy it and I don't care for barrels that long or need another one.  Honestly, .45 Colt is by far my favorite single action revolver/lever gun caliber.  It's true that reloading makes it far more affordable but if you have the means or don't shoot a lot of ammo per year it's still a good choice just using factory ammunition.

Just realized I already answered this post...oh well.

Buy it!
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:35:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I asked the the seller some questions about the functionality, asked about meeting to test fire and never received an answer and eventually the ad disappeared. Without a chance to carefully inspect and hopefully test fire before buying, I wasn’t going To commit to purchase.  Maybe the seller found a buyer.

Thanks for the responses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top