Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2020 1:24:40 PM EDT
Usually polish feed ramps on every gun I own, even if operating well as this is just one area that's easy to increase reliability, especially as the recoil spring slightly weakens.  Recently got a handgun with stainless barrel that is DLC PVC coated so the ramp has a matte finish. Has never experienced a FTF with live fire but occasionally when dropping the slide, the nose of the round will stick on the feed ramp.  I've never had an issue with riding a slide forward but being a little snappier and moving my hand opposite the muzzle prevents this. It never occurs using the slide release (ugh, how pedestrian...). Anyhow I thought a feed ramp polish might help this also.  After 500 rounds, DLC coating isn't even scuffed on the ramp and bbl hood.  Is the coating likely better than a polished ramp due to its lubricity?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I polish the feed ramps on coated barrels.  Not enough to remove the coating.  Just enough to bring up a marked luster and make them a little "slicker."  Has always worked well for me.

I use Dialux VORNEX, which is a pre-polishing compound normally used for removing and eliminating scratches and marks on hard metal surfaces prior to polishing.  Does not cut too fast and is easy to control.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I polish the feed ramps on coated barrels.  Not enough to remove the coating.  Just enough to bring up a marked luster and make them a little "slicker."  Has always worked well for me.

I use Dialux VORNEX, which is a pre-polishing compound normally used for removing and eliminating scratches and marks on hard metal surfaces prior to polishing.  Does not cut too fast and is easy to control.
View Quote
Im pretty low tech and have had good results with this over the years including some pretty poorly feeding 1911's but I use the red Dremel polish then go back with something like flitz.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#3]
If it’s not broke, fuck with it until it is.

Leave it alone in other words.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Coated feedramps will cause failures from brass markings, eventually it will hang up a round as you've experienced.  I've used 3m pads or 1500/2000 grit sandpaper, then follow with flitz.  Dont remove any metal and it doesnt hurt a thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top