Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2020 7:38:32 PM EDT
I bought a G22 gen 4 with three mags for $285 and free shipping ($305) after transfer.

Officer Store G22

It has night sights (a nice surprise) and is in G-VG share as advertised.  It even looks clean.

Do you guys that buy police trade in guns usually replace anything like the recoil spring before shooting them, or are they usually pretty much good to go?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#2]
With any USED Glock, I detail strip it, clean and inspect everything then reassemble and shoot it.

I probably don’t need to but I kinda like doing it

ETA- Any pistol with an unknown round count, it’s not a bad idea to replace the recoil spring. I don’t always do that but it is cheap peace of mind.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Recoil Spring Assembly, clean and shoot
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought a G22 gen 4 with three mags for $285 and free shipping ($305) after transfer.

Officer Store G22

It has night sights (a nice surprise) and is in G-VG share as advertised.  It even looks clean.

Do you guys that buy police trade in guns usually replace anything like the recoil spring before shooting them, or are they usually pretty much good to go?
View Quote
cops dont shoot much.  Police trade ins are a great value.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, when did full sized Glocks get the G26/27 style recoil springs???

Is it a .40 thing, or a Gen4 thing?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I think its a Gen 3 thing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Since I took the 1-day armorer's course, I would do this:

Quoted:
With any USED Glock, I detail strip it, clean and inspect everything then reassemble and shoot it.

ETA- Any pistol with an unknown round count, it’s not a bad idea to replace the recoil spring. I don’t always do that but it is cheap peace of mind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

But this is enough:

Quoted:
Recoil Spring Assembly, clean and shoot
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#8]
As clean and little shown wear to the 23 I just got from Aim, I did nothing, but shoot it...

It was damn near mint. The barrel has very slight wear.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#9]
More than likely it should be gtg as purchased. I would take it apart, clean, lube, shoot.  If you want to change anything I would change springs: trigger, recoil, and magazine.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gen 4.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
cops dont shoot much.  Police trade ins are a great value.
View Quote
1st post: Shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#12]
My cousin had a police trade in that would jam frequently and I figured it was the recoil spring. He replaced it and all good.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Officer Store G22

View Quote

As others have said, do a complete teardown and detail clean.
Inspect everything as you go.
If it passes the recoil spring test, you can leave it in, although it is an inexpensive part to replace.
The two most failure prone springs in the *pre-Gen 5 are the Slide Lock Spring (leaf spring for the takedown lever) and the trigger spring.
I would replace those two and they are inexpensive as well.

*pre-Gen 5
Those two springs were re-designed for Gen 5
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:57:14 AM EDT
[#14]
function check, lube it, shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#15]
change recoil spring

shoot
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:28:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Not a sure if police trade Gen 4 gun may have a NY trigger in it, but my Gen 3 does and I am in the process of changing it as soon as my parts get here.

Easy to do
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the ideas guys.

I stopped and cleaned it.  I'll be changing the NY trigger.  The recoil spring seems fine, so I'll shoot it and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks for the ideas guys.

I stopped and cleaned it.  I'll be changing the NY trigger.  The recoil spring send fine, so I'll shoot it and see how it goes.
View Quote
If you have the "leaf" style spring on your takedown lever, that is the one spring to change out to a new one when acquiring a gun with an unknown history.
If this spring breaks, the broken piece can be near impossible to get out.
In later models, Glock changed this to a coil spring.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#19]
It hasn't been shot enough to require any new springs or anything. Just clean it and shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd replace the recoil spring unit as it is very inexpensive (about $10) & your firearm has an unknown round count.

Other than that, go shoot it!
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#21]
My last trade-in, a Gen 2 G19 from Aim, had a bit of mileage on it so in addition to a detailed cleaning, I got a complete spring kit from Glockparts.com and replaced them all. It was easy enough to do since I had it stripped all the way down, and IMO cheap peace of mind.

At the time their kits had all OEM parts, but it doesn't state that on the page now so I would ask before buying.

https://www.glockparts.com/custom/GMSPR19EF.htm

Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:24:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
cops dont shoot much.  
View Quote
unless it was an academy gun
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I agree with replacing the recoil spring assembly. It is cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
cops dont shoot much.  
Yeah but you can tell a lot about looking at the finish of the firearm if there's very little holster wear there's a pretty good chance it doesn't have thousands of rounds through it
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd buy another police trade-in after shooting this.

It functioned perfectly with AE fmj and HST hollow points.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:43:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
but if the exterior of the barrel looks nice, it wasn't shot much
View Quote
As long as it’s the original barrel
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:24:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dual captive recoil spring assembly (RSA) was a redesign feature for the full size (17, 22, 31) and compact size 19, 23, 32) small frame Gen4 pistols. Also a redesign for the large frame 20, 21, 29, and 30.

Clean that pistol until it is clean enough to eat off of. Pay particular attention to the striker pin assembly and the channel in the slide. It should be white-glove clean and reassembled dry. Remove the ejector housing from the frame and ensure that the trigger disconnector and the frame recess are free of gunk. Remove the magazine release button and ensure that recess is spotless, and clean the magazine well thoroughly.

Those three areas are trouble spots a lot of people skip. Detail stripping and cleaning these areas will keep your pistol running trouble free.

Also clean your magazines. They are simple do disassemble without special tools. Run a toothbrush soaked in solvent through the interior to remove caked on residue. Spray with brake clean to remove the solvent and grime, then wipe down with clean patches held in place with a different/clean toothbrush. I do this part with large, .50 cal patches I have for my black powder rifle.

Being that you dont know how many rounds have been fired, I would replace the RSA, the trigger spring, the extractor spring, and the slide lock lever spring. All those parts will be less than $20.

I forget the replacement interval for those springs, but it couldn't hurt for the piece of mind it would bring you to replace them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
but if the exterior of the barrel looks nice, it wasn't shot much
No law enforcement agency is shooting the barrel out of a pistol.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I was at GT Distributors today, they have a sale on all Glock complete spring kits. $9.00 if anyone wants to stock up...
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#31]
You know that moment when you realize that your Micro Roni you got for a G17 will work with your police trade in G22......

Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Shoot it.
View Quote
This.  If you feel the need to replace shit, you should have bought a brand new gun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This.  If you feel the need to replace shit, you should have bought a brand new gun.
View Quote
While I sorta agree, I figured that $306 out the door was worth it even if there were a few parts in these police trade in guns that often need replacing.

One of the great things about a Glock is it's simplicity.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#35]
I always replace the springs so I know the mileage on them and know when it is time to replace them on schedule.  Springs are cheap and I hate ruined range trips because a pistol chocks or is having a problem.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

While I sorta agree, I figured that $306 out the door was worth it even if there were a few parts in these police trade in guns that often need replacing.

One of the great things about a Glock is it's simplicity.
View Quote
Mine was $290 out the door and it appeared unfired by the barrel wear.  The only evidence of use was some seat belt scratches. Most of my newer glocks have been fired more and I don't feel compelled to change parts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Mine was $290 out the door and it appeared unfired by the barrel wear.  The only evidence of use was some seat belt scratches. Most of my newer glocks have been fired more and I don't feel compelled to change parts.
View Quote
I put about 300 rounds of FMJ and another 50 rounds of HST through mine.

It's a helluva bargain IMO.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No law enforcement agency is shooting the barrel out of a pistol.
View Quote
Nope; but they are dealing with bulged barrels from squibs and the like
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Nope; but they are dealing with bulged barrels from squibs and the like
View Quote
So, isn't that one of the police trade in benefits?

They have an armorer that fixes that stuff for the officers, don't they?

I guess I just assumed that they had a maintenance schedule and were fixed if major issues (squib/kaboom) arose.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So, isn't that one of the police trade in benefits?

They have an armorer that fixes that stuff for the officers, don't they?

I guess I just assumed that they had a maintenance schedule and were fixed if major issues (squib/kaboom) arose.
View Quote
Well a bulged barrel should be fixed as soon as it is discovered but that is typically after a new gun is issued to the officer. When it comes to going through the guns and replacing springs and whatnot, that should be occurring but the size of the agency in question is going to dictate how often that happens.  Our duty guns are serviced once every two years unless an issue comes up with a certain gun and it's fixed at that point (but not gone through and every replaced).  We have 2k officers so that changes things I'm sure.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Officer Store G22

View Quote
Most police guns spend 99% of their life either in a holster or an armory. Clean it and shoot. If you want, re-spring it and swap out the trigger pin for insurance.  Other than that it's most likely GTG, regardless of cosmetic appearance.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#43]
I ordered one of these G22's because of this thread.  Mine has hardly been shot.  There is barely perceptible holster wear on the ejection port and near the muzzle on the slide so it has been carried but not much.  This is the barrel crown and hood wear.  Or lack thereof.  I cleaned it and that is all the maintenance I assume I will be doing on this thing.

The fired casing has a date of late 2010 to give an idea of when it was manufactured.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yeah but you can tell a lot about looking at the finish of the firearm if there's very little holster wear there's a pretty good chance it doesn't have thousands of rounds through it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
cops dont shoot much.  
An academy gun wouldn’t have much holster wear
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Tossing in my 2¢ - no afflilation with seller.

I also ordered 1, because of this thread and so did my FFL buddy.  Price, Gen 4, and 3 mags - pulled the trigger.  Will be my 1st Glock.

Mine was $287 out the door ($285 + free shipping + $2 optional delivery insurance).

Mine delivers tomorrow.  His was delivered yesterday.  He sent me pictures (not posting - for his privacy).

Will share ...  Photos showed VG condition,  mild holster wear, butt of right side grip showed wear (I would assume - seat belt), Glock factory night sights, no back straps.  He said, it had definitely been fired and needed cleaning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top