Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 1/14/2021 4:49:34 AM EDT
When I was a kid my cousin had a Colt catalog.  He was all wound up over a nickel SAA but the one I wanted was the police positive 38. I’Ve been looking for one off and on for 40 years and have never run across one.  I think it amounts to a detective special with a 4 inch barrel?  Are these good guns?  Any idea of a realistic value if I do find one.

Like this one

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#1]
These are super common and about $400.  Half or so of what a nice detective sells for.  The grips in your pic look like add ons and it is a late model With the ejector shroud.  I’d look for a pre war revolver.  Handy little guns.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Those are the original grips for that late model police positive.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#3]
That pic is identical to my wifes nightstand gun.

Awesome revolver, easy to shoot well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#4]
That particular version is not very common.  Colt only made it a few years, three I think.  The grips are original.  The older style Police Positives and Police Positive Specials are fairly common, but that's not what you're looking at.

I bought it's twin a couple of years ago.  I think I paid 500-ish and considered it a steal.  I've seen them go as high as a grand, with box and papers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That particular version is not very common.  Colt only made it a few years, three I think.  The grips are original.  The older style Police Positives and Police Positive Specials are fairly common, but that's not what you're looking at.

I bought it's twin a couple of years ago.  I think I paid 500-ish and considered it a steal.  I've seen them go as high as a grand, with box and papers.
View Quote

Thanks, This is the version that I have always wanted.  Don't care for the earlier guns with the unshrouded ejector rod.  I guess if I ever get one it will have to be a steal,  can't imagine paying a grand for one.  I suppose I'll stick with my S&W revolvers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, keep hitting the pawn shops & gun shops. Police Positives show up in both when you least expect them, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:18:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Just make sure you get a Police Positive Special and not a Police Positive, unless you want to track down .38 S&W ammo, most of which is downloaded tin-can shooting stuff. There are also PPSes in .32-20 which are neat but also not your friend when hunting for ammo. Make sure you know what you're taking home.

They are fun, just keep in mind they are not target guns and not particularly enjoyable to shoot all day with the original thin grips. I put a Tyler T-Grip on mine to keep my finger from banging into the trigger guard. Target style grips would also do the trick. But when it's time to burn through a couple 50rnd boxes of .38s, I tend to reach for a S&W K-38 or 14 due to the extra weight, adjustable sights, and better grips.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Are there any good, more hand-filling grips available for the early PP or PPS?
I haven't been able to find any.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:22:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are there any good, more hand-filling grips available for the early PP or PPS?
I haven't been able to find any.
View Quote

I put some Pachmayers on mine, IIRC?

Have you looked at Altamont grips yet?
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top