User Panel

Page / 67
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 5:56:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Reichpapers:
I can't see this being the future.  
View Quote

I said the exact same thing in 1989 when my unit tested red dots on our rifles.  Now very few people just run irons on long guns anymore.  The only major draw back I see of running red dots on pistols is having the willingness to cast off decades of relying on the sight alignment/sight picture of the irons.  David
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't see this being the future.  It's like having a big prosthetic mounted on your slide.  I see this evolving into a bluetooth capable gun that shows where your aiming through a pair of glasses, like the helmets on a cobra.
View Quote

Imagine shooting your pistol both eyes open while focusing on your target/threat.

Increased field of view, increased situational awareness, refined aiming point, elimination of sight alignment and sight picture in the traditional sense.

Ability to use in any lighting conditions, and ability to use under NODS.

The future is now old man.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Sniper3142:

It IS the future IMHO.

And having an optic mounted to a pistol is no weirder than a flashlight slung under one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113559/C2517C82-1112-4563-8D82-0E0774C4FB9B_jpe-1271499.JPG

View Quote
I think that is my gun/table ha
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mister_H:

Imagine shooting your pistol both eyes open while focusing on your target/threat.

Increased field of view, increased situational awareness, refined aiming point, elimination of sight alignment and sight picture in the traditional sense.

Ability to use in any lighting conditions, and ability to use under NODS.

The future is now old man.
View Quote
*rock_clapping.gif*
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#5]
For as many shooters that don't want to run with a RDS, I'm sure having a hard time finding a Safariland Holder for my G19 with an RDS...

Somebody is sure buying them up...
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn this is embarrassing to type out.....I was the boomer that was firmly against RDS...Epic Haiku's....Much angst...ETC. After a short time with a RDS on my Glock 19......Yes they are the future and I wish I would have done it sooner. My presentation does need some work. Not much so I must have done something right all these years. And the max range I am confident at hitting at is increasing. It is what it is resist all you want. You can still do fine with Irons. Point shooting still works fine with an RDS...Besides cost. I cannot find a downside.  And believe me if there really was one...I would have started a thread and LOUDLY pointed it out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The equation is simple, can you make good hits with it? If yes, then carry it, if no, carry something else. No need to complicate things
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
what ameriglos for lowest sight picture on an rmr and g17?
want them low and out of the way but still usable.

think they were gl-xxx ?
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 7:47:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chaas67] [#9]
Originally Posted By triple6:

think they were gl-xxx ?
View Quote
I don't have your gun but based on my experience with both of my pistols with Rmr's i don't think the height of the sights will impact you at all. I have suppressor height sights and don't even notice them when using the dot. If your dot isn't working than i would say you want the sights to be up there in your FOV.

With the dot, your focus is on the target and not sights.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By triple6:

think they were gl-xxx ?
View Quote
GL-429 is what most people use.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:15:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#11]
Originally Posted By gearsmithy:
The equation is simple, can you make good hits with it? If yes, then carry it, if no, carry something else. No need to complicate things
View Quote
Sorta.

But it's actually "If no, get better and then carry it".
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't see this being the future.  It's like having a big prosthetic mounted on your slide.  I see this evolving into a bluetooth capable gun that shows where your aiming through a pair of glasses, like the helmets on a cobra.
View Quote

It’s not the future.

It’s now. Get with the program.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Unplanned acquisition today. Now I need a threaded barrel and a holster.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FlockaCGulz:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/450356/5D5CB9DE-B76C-4AA7-AD96-82DB02CACC90-1479582.jpg
View Quote

Awesome profile pic: check
Awesome sig line: check
Awesome gun pic: check

We should be friends @FlockaCGulz
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By samsgreen50:

Awesome profile pic: check
Awesome sig line: check
Awesome gun pic: check

We should be friends @FlockaCGulz
View Quote

Lol, thanks!  This is the exact kind of validation I’ve been looking for!  
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Harv24:
For as many shooters that don't want to run with a RDS, I'm sure having a hard time finding a Safariland Holder for my G19 with an RDS...

Somebody is sure buying them up...
View Quote

My agency is switching to allowing red dots on duty pistols soon. Everyone was having trouble finding the holster and Safariland was quoting a very long lead time.

I found my G17 gen 5 RDS holster in stock at below MSRP on opticsplanet. They had a ton of models in stock. Just find the SKU on Safariland and search it on opticsplanet.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ken_mays:

3 MOA will be perfectly visible while still allowing you to get the most accuracy out of your setup at longer ranges.

The Venom was decent enough when it was $230 or so.  Now that the Holosun lineup is coming along, I'd look closely at those instead, especially something with shake-awake.

The problem with the Venom is you either leave it on or you have to turn it on, and since it turns itself off when in auto-adjust mode, you have to pick a dot brightness you can live with, and hope the battery will last a good long while, if you don't want to take several seconds to manually turn it on.

It's a fair range sight but it's not something I'd consider on a carry gun.
View Quote

Hey, thanks very much for the advice.  That all makes good sense to me.

Looking at the Holosun models.  The 507k looks good, but maybe it's too small on my PPQ.  I dunno.  I need one of them "build a gun" apps I can view it before I decide.  Lol.

I figure if I try the plate on my PPQ and like it then maybe I would have my G48 milled next.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 1:40:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

It’s not the future.

It’s now. Get with the program.
View Quote

Indeed.

Link Posted: 7/3/2020 8:18:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#19]
Checking my 15Y zero. Bottom 4 groups are off a rest. Top one is free standing confirmation (smidge over 1.5 inches)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I just ordered a 407C from Kenzie's for my new 2.0 Compact,
I'm certainly not crazy about buying from a chinese company
but I'm more than pleased with the 507C on my P10C, with a
discount coupon it was $215, not that much more than a set of
Trijicon HD's.
I'll be in touch with Primary Machine next week, I'm pretty impressed
with the M&P so far, I expect the RDS will be icing on the cake !
I dont expect it'll prove to be as accurate as the P10 but the ergonomics
seem to fit me a little better.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#21]
When people say “I can’t find the dot,” what they are really saying is “My presentation is bad, my iron sights are misaligned, and I only have myself to blame, not the equipment.” If the dot is missing, the sights are misaligned and you don’t have a “good enough” sight picture.

Link Posted: 7/6/2020 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DAVE_M:
When people say "I can't find the dot," what they are really saying is "My presentation is bad, my iron sights are misaligned, and I only have myself to blame, not the equipment." If the dot is missing, the sights are misaligned and you don't have a "good enough" sight picture.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50083762302_3195ce4e95.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50082941883_1299067387.jpg
View Quote
+1

I've thought about making this exact type of picture set.  Would anyone who complains about not finding the dot take a shot with the Irons sight picture above?  No way.

The issue is they rely on their sights during their draw as a crutch since they don't have a good presentation.

Target focus requires solid presentation.

Link Posted: 7/6/2020 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#23]
The dot is a great tool for cleaning up your presentation.

Most folks don’t even realize their presentation is garbage until they put a dot on their pistol. Just another instance where having a RDS can refine your pistol skills.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
+1

I've thought about making this exact type of picture set.  Would anyone who complains about not finding the dot take a shot with the Irons sight picture above?  No way.

The issue is they rely on their sights during their draw as a crutch since they don't have a good presentation.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
+1

The stills came from a video I took trying to record the RMR window with my left hand while using my iphone to align the gun on target. I ended up wobbling the gun all over, because aiming SHO through a phone was strange. I chopped up the footage and it made for great reference material.

Originally Posted By Mister_H:
The dot is a great tool for cleaning up your presentation.

Most folks don’t even realize their presentation is garbage until they put a dot on their pistol. Just another instance where having a RDS can refine your pistol skills.

Yep. The other issue is that people have a bad presentation and subconsciously align their iron sights when they are misaligned, but don't realize they are doing it because it has been ingrained into their brain that it's the "right way."

I posted the same photo set in a local forum and someone asked why even use the RDS if you have to look at your irons to align the gun onto target
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DAVE_M:
When people say “I can’t find the dot,” what they are really saying is “My presentation is bad, my iron sights are misaligned, and I only have myself to blame, not the equipment.” If the dot is missing, the sights are misaligned and you don’t have a “good enough” sight picture.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50083762302_3195ce4e95.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50082941883_1299067387.jpg
View Quote

Well Done.
cp
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 10:39:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#26]
Freehand 25Y ~ 2.6 inches with 147 gr. Digging the gen 5. Does seem to group a little better then my gen 3s

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#27]
4th trip to the range with my new RDS..Two of those all day carbine/pistol classes..Intro classes but a fair amount of trigger time and quite a bit of dry fire in the house. Liking it so far. Not having near as much trouble finding the dot as I thought. Just had to overcome a bit of muzzle up on the presentation. Looks like the RDS is here to stay. Sorry if some of you were waiting for me to throw the whole slide and dot on the EE......
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#28]
@FOOBOY

Link Posted: 7/8/2020 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By YoteSlayer69:
Damn this is embarrassing to type out.....I was the boomer that was firmly against RDS...Epic Haiku's....Much angst...ETC. After a short time with a RDS on my Glock 19......Yes they are the future and I wish I would have done it sooner. My presentation does need some work. Not much so I must have done something right all these years. And the max range I am confident at hitting at is increasing. It is what it is resist all you want. You can still do fine with Irons. Point shooting still works fine with an RDS...Besides cost. I cannot find a downside.  And believe me if there really was one...I would have started a thread and LOUDLY pointed it out.
View Quote

Very proud of you.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By YoteSlayer69:
4th trip to the range with my new RDS..Two of those all day carbine/pistol classes..Intro classes but a fair amount of trigger time and quite a bit of dry fire in the house. Liking it so far. Not having near as much trouble finding the dot as I thought. Just had to overcome a bit of muzzle up on the presentation. Looks like the RDS is here to stay. Sorry if some of you were waiting for me to throw the whole slide and dot on the EE......
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quick question for all the Type 2 peeps out there. Just received my first Type 2 RM01 but still waiting on the Bobro plate for my M18, it seems to have an ever so slight magnification / fisheye effect looking through the window. More so than a Deltapoint. Is this common?
I assume I will get used to it, but was just curious as to if this is normal.
Cp
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 1:42:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#32]
Originally Posted By eaglecp:
Quick question for all the Type 2 peeps out there. Just received my first Type 2 RM01 but still waiting on the Bobro plate for my M18, it seems to have an ever so slight magnification / fisheye effect looking through the window. More so than a Deltapoint. Is this common?
I assume I will get used to it, but was just curious as to if this is normal.
Cp
View Quote
Hello. It's noticeable to some people and not to others. I'm one who notices it on optics.  Feel how thick the glass is ... that's why there is slight fisheye.

That said, it is something you don't notice when shooting on a timer and doesn't bother me anymore.  Focus on the target and it all clicks ... when pistol is extended and optic aligned to target, it's greatly diminished.

RM01 Type 2 is one of my favs. I have 2 and 1 RM06.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Kind of figured it would be that way. It doesn't bother me really but I just wanted to check. Even my Deltapoint has a little nd you are right, it isnt noticable during shooting. Been using one of those for well of a year, but want something a little more durable for long term use.

One more Question, Is the battery compartment sealed or do I need to purchase some type of gasket? I read somewhere that the Bobro may come with something to seal it. I would think if it was needed Trijicon would send one with it?

Thanks
cp
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Sniper3142:

It IS the future IMHO.

And having an optic mounted to a pistol is no weirder than a flashlight slung under one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113559/C2517C82-1112-4563-8D82-0E0774C4FB9B_jpe-1271499.JPG

View Quote
All that's missing is a bean bag ashtray slung off the side.  I can see where you're coming from, this is a step up from irons, but it's by no means the future.  We'll be laughing at this configuration in 10 years.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I like em

Link Posted: 7/10/2020 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By AZgunnerLEO:
My department recently approved red dots for our new G17 MOS pistols. Most of the guys, myself included, who are very into guns are switching. The only officers not doing it are the ones who are too cheap, or the idiots who never practice/shoot with their weapons.

I personally think red dots on pistols are the future. 20-30 years ago, everyone thought irons were just fine for rifles. Now, no serious military or police unit would even think about rifles without optics. Pistols are going the same way.
View Quote

PHX?
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 1:44:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seiran] [#37]
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Seiran:
Details on the top one? @AKSU
View Quote
Looks like jagerwerks given how shallow the cut is
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 10:12:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSU] [#39]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seiran:
Details on the top one? @AKSU

Nailed it.

Top one is Jagerwerks cut, RMR 06 Type 2, Overwatch trigger and magwell, Agency Barrel and 2 port comp, Ameriglo 429 sights, Wolff minus safety plunger spring and plus trigger spring.  

@Seiran
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 11:09:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#40]
Originally Posted By AKSU:

Nailed it.

Top one is Jagerwerks cut, RMR 06 Type 2, Overwatch trigger and magwell, Agency Barrel and 2 port comp, Ameriglo 429 sights, Wolff minus safety plunger spring and plus trigger spring.  

@Seiran
View Quote
Other 2 are AOS?  Nice.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 3uzzard:

PHX?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3uzzard:
Originally Posted By AZgunnerLEO:
My department recently approved red dots for our new G17 MOS pistols. Most of the guys, myself included, who are very into guns are switching. The only officers not doing it are the ones who are too cheap, or the idiots who never practice/shoot with their weapons.

I personally think red dots on pistols are the future. 20-30 years ago, everyone thought irons were just fine for rifles. Now, no serious military or police unit would even think about rifles without optics. Pistols are going the same way.

PHX?

Close, medium sized department nearby. A number of local agencies are beginning to allow red dots.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By FlockaCGulz:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/450356/5D5CB9DE-B76C-4AA7-AD96-82DB02CACC90-1479582.jpg
View Quote

Let me know which barrel you get, I'm looking for one.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Other 2 are AOS?  Nice.
View Quote

Yes. Bottom one was originally an MOS.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Kind of figured it would be that way. It doesn't bother me really but I just wanted to check. Even my Deltapoint has a little nd you are right, it isnt noticable during shooting. Been using one of those for well of a year, but want something a little more durable for long term use.

One more Question, Is the battery compartment sealed or do I need to purchase some type of gasket? I read somewhere that the Bobro may come with something to seal it. I would think if it was needed Trijicon would send one with it?

Thanks
cp
View Quote

On an RMR the battery compartment is not inherently sealed.  The bottom of the dot has a rubber gasket that needs to mate with a smooth surface that forms a complete seal.  Bobro's website says their M17 plate forms that seal, I have one on order so later this week/next week I can confirm for you.

Trijicon sells a sealing plate for use in cases where the mounting surface isn't sufficient.  On my Grey Ghost Precision P320 slide for instance, the slide is narrower than the dot so a direct mount without that Trijicon plate wouldn't seal it properly.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Sonoran_Tj:

On an RMR the battery compartment is not inherently sealed.  The bottom of the dot has a rubber gasket that needs to mate with a smooth surface that forms a complete seal.  Bobro's website says their M17 plate forms that seal, I have one on order so later this week/next week I can confirm for you.

Trijicon sells a sealing plate for use in cases where the mounting surface isn't sufficient.  On my Grey Ghost Precision P320 slide for instance, the slide is narrower than the dot so a direct mount without that Trijicon plate wouldn't seal it properly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sonoran_Tj:

Thanks
cp

Received and installed the BOBRO and it does come with a Sealing plate. I see what you mean about the gasket.
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#47]
If I get my G19.3 milled for a 507K, and then decide to change to a RM06 type 2, will it fit as well? Also is the 507K a good size for a G19.3?
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SiGfever:
If I get my G19.3 milled for a 507K, and then decide to change to a RM06 type 2, will it fit as well? Also is the 507K a good size for a G19.3?
View Quote
Get a standard 407/507/Rmr cut for a g19.

the 507k is for thinner slides. Window is smaller too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 4:34:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SiGfever] [#49]
Get a standard 407/507/Rmr cut for a g19.

the 507k is for thinner slides. Window is smaller too.
View Quote

So just get a HS507C V2? If I did get a RMR, would the RM06 Type 2 (RM06-C-700672) be the one to get?
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 67
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top