Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2022 3:31:35 PM EDT
I have a beautiful 1950s era SW-41, like new, not a scratch on it.   Unfortunately, it came from the factory with a slightly canted rear sight that drives me crazy. It appears to be a canted dovetail cut.  Looking for a pistolsmith who can slightly recut the sight dovetail and who hopefully can keep the pistol unmarred.  Any thoughts on this project appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see how it could go unmarred. I would assume it would have to be tig welded up and recut?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I am hoping the dovetail is a little shallow on one side and could be cut more horizontally and just deepen the shallow side.  

Maybe I am too optimistic??
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Mill it for an RDS.

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am hoping the dovetail is a little shallow on one side and could be cut more horizontally and just deepen the shallow side.  

Maybe I am too optimistic??
View Quote
I think so. The cut is at a fixed dimension for the sight so the sight would be loose (Unless you find a wider site like in the link below). Here is the last one I did that may help with pics and the process:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Installing-dovetail-sights-on-a-GI-1911/49-536072/
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice work on the 1911!

It is really a shame with the sw-41.  She is a real beauty except the damn sight canting.  Functional, yes. But the canted sight is just bad enough to bother me, especially for a target pistol.

I wonder if some carefully applied combination of hand filing the sight base and dovetail and a little locktite could improve the canting, even if just a little, without ruining the aesthetics or function.  (Don't throw your coffee cup at the screen, I am just thinking out loud)

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#6]
lol! It just being a .22 that sight would stay pretty well. Epoxy or JB Weld could fill the void. I suppose however if it really really bugged you the safest and most proper way would be to make the cut and tig a little onto the sight then hand fit the sight to the cut. I am honestly out of my element on this one and have never tried anything like that. Cutting for red dots or fresh install on white slides is about my experience level.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you mic'd each side of the dovetail vs the slide to see how far out it is?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you certain the sight is symmetric?

Cant caused by the dovetail can be fixed with a file, and in not much time.  I would use a #2 cut Swiss pillar file, a safe edge dovetail file, a bunch of tape, and a vise with clean soft jaws.

The dovetail should be asymmetric if it's the problem.  Look down on the sight, the high side will be narrower than the low side.

Removing the sight the bottom of the dovetail can be checked with an accurate square to find out if it's out of whack in the roll axis (parallel to the barrel centerline).

View Quote
^ This sounds more like it! It would be much easier to oops on the site than a slide that was indicated in a vice.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#10]
This sounds like a way to try. I just realized that I never mentioned it is the REAR sight that is canted, but the principles should be the same.  I need to take the rear sight out and take a few measurements and verify if the sight or the slide dovetail have the problem.  There is a possibility the rear sight's dovetail is off. It would be easier to work on the sight then the slide.  My only concern is buggering up the job.  Then I can't blame Smith and Wesson for the appearance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top