Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2023 3:01:21 PM EDT
Just picked up this old pre-b from a local gunshow and the seller didn't know much info either.
It's about 90% overall condition and also came with a set of Nill grips, Big XS sights, 2 mags and a case.... paid $600.
Does anyone know anything about the history or anything unique about this firearm?
Many thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat!  Good looking specimen.  

That might be a replacement slide stop pin, not sure.

Not sure about the grips and grip screws- maybe that was typical for the stainless (chrome?), but I've never seen that before as factory.  

Also, if you plan on shooting it much, you might want to replace the hammer with a rounded one.  Obviously don't throw away the old one.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Hard Chromed?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hard Chromed?
View Quote

I don't believe the pre-B 75s were ever offered in stainless.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, never seen stainless pre-B... looks like hard chromed finish to me.

Any particular reason to change out the hammer with newer production one?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, never seen stainless pre-B... looks like hard chromed to me.

Any particular reason to change out the hammer with newer production one?
View Quote

Hammer bite.  Shoot 200 rounds and your hand will be bleeding.  Not gushing, but yea.

And the CZ-75 hammer is worse than the 1911 at this.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Those grips are sexy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh my ... yeah, never had a pre-b before...

Quoted:

Hammer bite.  Shoot 200 rounds and your hand will be bleeding.  Not gushing, but yea.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Those grips are sexy.
View Quote

Never liked the fat wood grips... but this grip is surprisingly comfortable.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:09:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got three spur hammer CZs.  Never been bit.

Then again, my first center fire semi auto pistol was a 1917 made Colt 1911.  Never got bit by that one either.  

I suppose the picture in photographic proof some people get bit.

The slide on the OP's pistol has been modified to allow installation of that front sight.  The "old" Pre B's had a staked front sight, similar to 1911s.  The front sight tenon went into a hole in the top of the barrel bushing and helped hold the barrel bushing in place.  When I replaced the buggered up front sight on my Pre B CZ85 I used a 1911 front sight and modified a 1911 front sight staking tool to use.

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#10]
You’re right!
Didn’t realize it has a modified slide for dove tail sight.
Excellent tip for staking.

Quoted:

Then again, my first center fire semi auto pistol was a 1917 made Colt 1911.  Never got bit by that one either.  

The slide on the OP's pistol has been modified to allow installation of that front sight.  The "old" Pre B's had a staked front sight, similar to 1911s.  The front sight tenon went into a hole in the top of the barrel bushing and helped hold the barrel bushing in place.  When I replaced the buggered up front sight on my Pre B CZ85 I used a 1911 front sight and modified a 1911 front sight staking tool to use.

https://i.imgur.com/JFrKCK3l.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/JFrKCK3l.jpg

View Quote

The hammer bite issue is relative to the hands of the holder. If a design can hammer-bite, I’m going to get bit guaranteed. My brother never has that issue. But he’s small and wiry so his hand isn’t as fleshy as mine.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You’re right!
Didn’t realize it has a modified slide for dove tail sight.
Excellent tip for staking.
View Quote

I was going to guess a matte chrome aftermarket finish anyway. But I think the sight issue confirms it as a modified gun.

I’ve got a pre-B much like OP’s (sans finish and front sight). The black finish is flaked off in about 40% of the surface area and I’ve trying to decide how to refinish it. That matte chrome looks really good. Reminds me of the Tanfoglio wonder finish on the witness pistols.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got cerakoted slides on pistols milled for red dots.  Eventually it'll wear through from holster wear.  Dependent on the holsters (mine are kydex and leather) and holster to pistol fit I'm sure.

I've got nitrided slides on pistols milled for re dots.  Wore though from the holster wear within a few weeks (Cerakote went years before wearing through).

My last one I had satin nickel plated/coated and I'm hoping it will never wear through, but we'll see.

I like the look of the OPs pistol.  Don't know what it is or how durable it is but I like the look.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Having owned half dozen PreBs 75s and a PreB 85, never had a hammer bite me either.  Used to buy lots of CZ pistols in Germany 88-90'.  Still shoot my 86' dated pre B when home.  That one is rattled canned OD green.  Standard enamel finish wears quickly.  Had the 85 parkerized and night sights installed back in 91'.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#15]
as someone who owns tons of CZ, unless you have flabby bacon hands the likelyhood for hammerbite is slim.

sweet find though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one very much like it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:26:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Just occurred to me, I don't think the modern hammers will look right in a Pre B slide.  The Pre B hammers are wider at the top.  The modern hammers may be the same/similar width in the frame but they tape thinner  above the frame where they fit into the back of the slide.  Take a look at them.  Might work, but it would leave a gap on either side between the hammer and slide.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just occurred to me, I don't think the modern hammers will look right in a Pre B slide.  The Pre B hammers are wider at the top.  The modern hammers may be the same/similar width in the frame but they tape thinner  above the frame where they fit into the back of the slide.  Take a look at them.  Might work, but it would leave a gap on either side between the hammer and slide.
View Quote

They run fine.  I'm running a modern hammer on my short-rail, still left on it from when I ran the gun in 3-gun a while back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top