Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2021 6:13:55 PM EDT
I stopped at a shop that had a new in box with all the stuff Spring Op 4in Champion light weight 45 , night sights felt great took it home with some ex Wilson mags , already had a Desantis open top leather holster rig . since I bought the gun they left me get 45 ammo for 28 a box of 50 also 100 pc 22 lr 14.99 what ever I wanted . lubed and cleaned the 45 ,did not try it yet .
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Who else has 1, and how does it work . any problem`s ?????????? The gun shop I got it from said the Springfield 1911 are not coming in ,only stuff like Hell Cats . which I traded one toward this to small for me .
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who else has 1, and how does it work . any problem`s ?????????? The gun shop I got it from said the Springfield 1911 are not coming in ,only stuff like Hell Cats . which I traded one toward this to small for me .
View Quote

Figures. Finally paid the house off and now have money for "less than necessary" purchases. Springfield 1911 is on my short list, and I haven't seen any, anywhere for a while now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Love mine
Bearcamp Valley Sportsmans Club
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer 5” 1911s but I grabbed a Springfield Lightweight 5” and had it built to my specs by Saltzman Gunworks

The lightweight frame makes it a breeze to carry all day.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks 03RN that is the same gun I got in your photo, They had a few 1911 guns but said they are not getting many in, all the company's were making the small gun. This Springfield fit the bill just right for what I was looking for I have other Colt 1911 but wanted a little newer look . I cleaned it and gave it a lube job ,dug out my Desantis and Galco open top leather holster , I will try it out today .
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I love mine. I bought it specifically for the LW frame and rail. I carry a 1911 daily, and this one is my 'traveling" pistol. When I am staying in a hotel, it comes off of my belt, I snap a light on it, and it is my hotel nightstand piece. At home I have an AR with light, but traveling this is a compact "do everything" pistol.

Great choice.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm happy with mine op. New stocks and a magwell, that's it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:25:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I may order new grips for mine . Thanks for the feed back .
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I bet I would like one of those more than I liked my RO compact .45.   Gun ran great and was decently accurate but I just never liked the short grip.  Got rid of it and went with a alloy framed colt commander .
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup lightweight champion operator for the win. Put some thin grips on mine and flushed the barrel with the end of the slide. Next is a new brighter front sight, deeper under trigger guard relief and higher beavertail cut grip safety. Then a sweet cerakote job.

The wilson combat flat spring and guide make it easier to take down as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Figures. Finally paid the house off and now have money for "less than necessary" purchases. Springfield 1911 is on my short list, and I haven't seen any, anywhere for a while now.
View Quote

Last one I back ordered from a very large volume shop took every bit of 6 months to get delivered.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I just put a real nice set of dark red and black laminated grips and new dull stainless torque head screws on it , was just what it needed .
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Picked-up-new-Springfield-Operator-4-in-light-weight-45.
View Quote

Nuthin' about the .45 is light-weight.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I like everything about mine OP except for one important thing... @ 10 yards I cannot get it to group no matter what ammo from Blazer Aluminum to Hornady and Gold Dot's. I think it is and almost feels like it is unlocking too soon as it recoils harder than any semi-auto 1911 I've ever owned and operated. It's going back to Springfield with a descriptive note. My other Springfield's will group out to 25 yards no problem. Once fixed it is/will be one of my favorites... I installed the VZ Slim-Line grips, bushings, and screws and made the pistol feel awesome!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I like everything about mine OP except for one important thing... @ 10 yards I cannot get it to group no matter what ammo from Blazer Aluminum to Hornady and Gold Dot's. I think it is and almost feels like it is unlocking too soon as it recoils harder than any semi-auto 1911 I've ever owned and operated. It's going back to Springfield with a descriptive note. My other Springfield's will group out to 25 yards no problem. Once fixed it is/will be one of my favorites... I installed the VZ Slim-Line grips, bushings, and screws and made the pistol feel awesome!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166423/Champion_Operator_with_VZ_Alien_s__Ivory-1946546.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166423/IMG_20170326_132439965_jpg-1946547.JPG
View Quote

I put a wilson fbfp stop and flatwire spring in mine. Definitely slowed it down.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#17]
You guys have some nice looking pistols! Are these still being made? I've been after one for a while now but was under the impression that they discontinued the 4" railed model.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I have not tried to shoot mine for groups ,but I will now this dam thing has one hell of a strong recoil spring ,it`s a later build gun and uses the tool for take down looks like a flat type , been shooting and have 1911 for 40 years this one has a really strong spring I`am sure its the fact set up .
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:33:44 AM EDT
[#19]
No problems with mine so far , I never see any of these at any gun shops but have seen the Range Officer 4 in 9mm which I didn`t want .
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I had one. Gave it to my father for fathers day last year. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#21]
LW 1911’s are fun.

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I shot this arrow offhand at 50 yards and won a pecan pie off of my daughter because she bet me I couldn't do it. Ordinarily I wouldn't have been able to do it, but God wanted to prove to my daughter that her old man can still shoot.

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:58:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I was at Bob`s Army Navy in PA on Sat they had a nice line of Desantis holsters. I picked up a nice tan open top leather with heavy white thread stitching for the Spring Champ Operator boy does this 45 carry nice in it forgot it was on . it was 65 bucks but I took it home seems hard to find ones for a railed 45 in stock at places . gun is still flawless only thing I changed was I put red and black laminate grips on it .
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I put a wilson fbfp stop and flatwire spring in mine. Definitely slowed it down.
View Quote

@03RN

Yeah, I haven't gotten around to sending her back yet... She came with the 22lbs recoil spring stock but it isn't flat wire... I'll fit a FBFPS and get a Wolff flat wire recoil spring based upon your recommendation of poundage strength (Wolff I assume, what poundage), before I'll send her back. I'm not looking forward to sending her anywhere. As far as I know, Springfield isn't making these little bitches anymore in Operator Configuration... Maybe RO configuration though...
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@03RN

Yeah, I haven't gotten around to sending her back yet... She came with the 22lbs recoil spring stock but it isn't flat wire... I'll fit a FBFPS and get a Wolff flat wire recoil spring based upon your recommendation of poundage strength (Wolff I assume, what poundage), before I'll send her back. I'm not looking forward to sending her anywhere. As far as I know, Springfield isn't making these little bitches anymore in Operator Configuration... Maybe RO configuration though...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@03RN

@jmreagan
Wilson has a flatwire kit with a flgr which I normally don't like but these don't unscrew or need a tool.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@jmreagan
Wilson has a flatwire kit with a flgr which I normally don't like but these don't unscrew or need a tool.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@03RN

@jmreagan

@03RN
Solid... Thanks so much... I'll install the FPS and Flat Wire Spring to slow her down before ever contemplating sending her back in. Funny, as my NM serialized Mil-Spec is twice as accurate as the 4" Bull-Barreled-Operator and costs just $700... Both eat everything I've fed them though I must admit!

The FLGR on the 4" Operator doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would even with the need of a paperclip along with an allen wrench to field strip. Probably because my Springfield "Loaded" that I've converted to Full-Time .45Super also needs an allen wrench (sans paperclip though). It is an unnecessary "feature" though when the push button equipped versions get it done I must agree!

Obligatory pic of the Mil-Spec that won't choke...
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 12:34:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You guys have some nice looking pistols! Are these still being made? I've been after one for a while now but was under the impression that they discontinued the 4" railed model.
View Quote

@frbejarano

Every time I look at their line-up (yearly) they aren't offering the 4" barreled Champion Operator anymore... It obviously has a decent demand/interest... Seems to happen with everything from clothes, shoes, vehicle options and guns every-time I find something I really like.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 12:38:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was at Bob`s Army Navy in PA on Sat they had a nice line of Desantis holsters. I picked up a nice tan open top leather with heavy white thread stitching for the Spring Champ Operator boy does this 45 carry nice in it forgot it was on . it was 65 bucks but I took it home seems hard to find ones for a railed 45 in stock at places . gun is still flawless only thing I changed was I put red and black laminate grips on it .
View Quote

Comp-Tac made one for it back when I bought mine in a Leather/Kydex combo holster. It doesn't have the TLR capability built into it but that is alright with me as I carry a Streamlight Pro-Tac on me all the time. It is a light combo even with 10 Round McCormick rocket wire equipped magazine...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top