Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2022 5:04:49 AM EDT
Years ago I had a Taurus 92 afs with the polish finish came in the older black card board box , and got rid of it ,always said if and when I see one of the older ones in great shape like I would buy it and last Sat went into a busy shop and there was one , I took it home , got hold of sum ex mags , and I have  old about 98 Beretta M 9 so had holster rigs good to go . fird it maybe 40 flawless rds
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Years ago I had a Taurus 92 afs with the polish finish came in the older black card board box , and got rid of it ,always said if and when I see one of the older ones in great shape like I would buy it and last Sat went into a busy shop and there was one , I took it home , got hold of sum ex mags , and I have  old about 98 Beretta M 9 so had holster rigs good to go . fird it maybe 40 flawless rds
View Quote

I have a soft spot for them because a pt99 was my first semi-auto when I was a broke college kid. But be prepared, arf.com is coming for you.

They’re solid pistols. I’ve had a couple. Similar story. I have one. It works. I decide I want something else more and trade it/sell it. Regret doing so because of the value it is.

I would occasionally see one used at one of the local shops every once in awhile. They’d always price them right at for under $300. They’d always disappear before I decided to pull the trigger. Right before Covid I saw one and went ahead a bought it, largely due to having 5-6 mags for it still in my gun closet.

Excellent truck gun. It’s going to work if you need it but easily replaceable.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea I had one in the polish finish like this one u don`t see them a lot , also have Glock 19 M and Glk 48  mos gun , Govt issue Sig 229  and 226 with etched bar code , , This Taurus is very nice clean cond , no box 1 mag I jumped on it ,
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#3]
My first pistol was a PT92 AFS as well.
I thought I ordered the polished silver one like on Buds web site picture.  Nope it was the matte grey finish.
Sold it as well.  Solid pistol.  
Ruined me forever liking a Beretta with a slide safety.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Great gun!

First gun I ever bought was a PT99AFS.
I never should’ve sold it.

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Bought one off a friend ~30 years ago.

He had just got out of the Army and bought it brand new but barely fired it (I shot i more than he did)

He'd only had it 6 months or so when he offered to sell it to me; the pistol (with only 1mag), a new Dillon Square Deal (pre"B" model), a buket full of FMJ's and brass, 8# keg of Win 231 and 3k primers all for $250!

I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.

In the subsequent years I shot the everliving shit out of that pistol, most reliable 9mm I'd ever had (until I got my CZ P-01), but one day a deal on a Walther P-1 presented itself and the Taurus went to the chopping block (I no longer have the P-1 either)

One of my very few regrets trading off that Taurus) and I'd love to have it back
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#6]
My first was a polished PT99AFS as well, and I’ve never had the heart to sell it. It’s been an excellent gun.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#7]
The PT92 was the only Taurus that would consider buying. I saw a now-deceased friend shoot thousands of trouble-free rounds through his during informal club matches.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#9]
My first pistol was a PT92 with the satin finish. I miss that pistol. It shot perfectly and accurately. It was reliable and never had a hiccup. The one thing that I liked more about it than the Beretta, was the frame mounted safety. Later models had the safety/decocker combo. I love a Beretta but don't understand why they have not done and offer today, a frame mounted decocker/safety on their modern guns. It is like they are stuck in a time warp. Kind of like Glock and them refusing to make a larger tang/beaver tail on their frames and instead use extra pieces/parts to add onto them.

If I could find a PT92 for a good price, I would get another.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#10]
ha, because of 80s action movies, most notably Die Hard I ended up buying a PT99 during the late 80s.  It was much cheaper than a Beretta at the time.

Only issue I had was the pin holding the adj sight backing out.  Traded it and some cash for an Egyptian Post Ban AK, one of the good ones which I unfortunately also sold off.

Several years ago came across a nice PT92 for $250 or so OTD at auction.  It has the older safety only function like the PT99 I had.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought a 92 a few years ago for the wife for a night stand gun.  Decided to use it for a pistol class I signed up for.  Of course, I had to check the function first.  

I put about 500 rounds through it for practice.  Then another 400 in the class.  

The only issue I had was one of the magazines lost it’s butt plate when I ejected the magazine onto the concrete floor.  I reassembled the magazine and it continued to work fine.  

900 rounds with no gun problems. Pretty accurate, too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:45:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I ended up getting 5 more mags , the gun is like new and I like the polish finish , you would no I have it in my hand , has been flawless got a beatiful black leather Desantis holster for it , I also have a Beretta M9 I got back maybe around 98 or 99 I carried it for years and used it as my ATV gun when we ride .
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a soft spot for them because a pt99 was my first semi-auto when I was a broke college kid. But be prepared, arf.com is coming for you.

They’re solid pistols. I’ve had a couple. Similar story. I have one. It works. I decide I want something else more and trade it/sell it. Regret doing so because of the value it is.

I would occasionally see one used at one of the local shops every once in awhile. They’d always price them right at for under $300. They’d always disappear before I decided to pull the trigger. Right before Covid I saw one and went ahead a bought it, largely due to having 5-6 mags for it still in my gun closet.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

The PT92/992 was probably the one pistol series Taurus got absolutely right. Everything else is ehhhh from Taurus as far as if it'll work but those were very good.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I had one back in the early 90's. Great gun! Never ever had a problem with it. Sorry I traded it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I just happen to luck into this one , I never see them but I wanted a nice clean one and I got it  didn`t steal it but 399 I jumped and took it home .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top