Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2020 1:52:19 AM EDT
So Im interested in hearing your philosophy of use so to speak in respect to CCW.

I have a CZ75 in 9mm that has 18rd spare mags. That is my go to if I want to roll with capacity and size isn't an issue. Usually in the summer, I AIWB carry a S&W J Frame. I have a few others I rotate through, but obviously you can see these carry. Im looking to consolidate my needs into a compact size firearm. I'd like to consider a commander frame 1911, but every once in a while I get the thought that 8+1 with spares won't be enough in some fantasy situation in my head. Then, when I look at most self defense shootings, the J frame is probably all I need.

What makes you carry what you carry?

Do you rotate different guns within the SAME season?

Any odd carry setups for a particular reason?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Is that you NutnFancy?

Ok I’ll be serious now, I carry a G19.5 year round with one reload. I carry my G19.5 at 3:30-4 O’clock in an IWB holster from NSR Tactical and I carry my reload 11:30 O’clock appendix in a NSR holster.

Also, I HATE clips of any and all kind, they suck. I use pull the dot soft loops only.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry a single pistol for CCW (VP9SK) and try to be as pragmatic as is possible. Carrying a weapon in public is a matter of risk hedging - everyone is going to have their own tolerance for risk and I don't judge how anyone determines what's right for them. Personally, I'm comfortable accepting that I have 13 rounds on my person in a pistol that isn't going to be particularly effective at distance. If I ever find myself outside of the house in a justified defensive gunfight and need 50 rounds from a pistol, frankly, that's not something that people survive. So I really don't stress over a 'Heat'-style shootout.

Specifics on the pistol: VP9SK+Holosun 507C with a 13 round HK magazine and Olite PL Mini (which I don't love, but there are very few options for this pistol). Carried at 4 O'Clock in a Triad IWB Holster with Raven Concealment loops. No spare mags, no bowie knives, no nine bangers. I keep it simple.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm one of the original 5000 permit holders in Florida, though my job as a classroom teacher limited my carry to off duty hours... I've been a competitive USPSA shooter since 1982 and 3 gun seriously since the North Carolina Tactical matches in the mid 90s...I've had an opportunity to shoot a large variety of firearms,  have run through a myriad if carry options as well...retired and 73 years old, I've slowed down to a PCC for USPSA, and backing off of the physical 3 gun matches (but I still have the toys).... prior to the Antifa violence in the out of state urban centers I had a very small perception of threat, satisfied with a G43 in a pocket holster and a spare +2 magazine.... arrests after altercations in the local down town area was my pre determined benchmark to up grade my carry.... a G43x in an IWB holster, spare mag with cover up shirt... a G17 with RDS is carried in a Recover Tactical chassis in the vehicle for some over match capability past 50m... regards
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry a G26 and one spare 10 round mag.  This pistol represents imo, the best compromise between size, weight and firepower.
I believe it is important to understand that you have a good chance of needing to deal with more than one assailant.  Criminals are very often with their buddies.  And the most dangerous situations involve an assailant who is trying to prove something to his buddies.
This is why I’m not a fan of 5 and 6 shot revolvers.
10 rounds gives me a reasonable chance of placing two, maybe three shots on up to three assailants.

But as has already been pointed out, it’s all about risk assessment and that will vary a lot for each individual.  I am retired and have no immediate family to worry about.
I am very, very rarely out after dark.  I live in a very low crime little PA town.  I do not go to movie theaters and very rarely to restaurants in the evening.
My exposure to bad possibilities is very minimal.  Realistically, my most likely threat would probably be home break-in, a situation where familiarity with turf and favorable rules of engagement would be in my favor, as well as a much broader range of weapons options.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope to add a ridiculously heavy L-frame or N-frame performance center snubby at some point, but for now I'm carrying a pair of airlite j-frames. Got the 2nd one because I wanted a backup for when my "always gun" eventually needs repairs, but it's so lightweight (and I had so many holsters for it) that I've found it fairly easy to carry both, which adds a bit more utility. Can't get to the pocket gun? Draw the other snub from the shoulder rig or IWB/OWB holster. Can't draw because right hand is disabled/pinned? Can draw the backup gun with the left. Same sights, same ammo, same gun. Revolver reloads without moonclips can be pretty slow and awkward, while a New York reload is a lot less prone to being screwed up. I don't expect I'll need to draw, much less fire, much less draw a 2nd gun and keep firing, but it's nice to have options. If I get the bigger L or N frame 357 snub, I expect I'll still carry the j-frame as backup gun, just because it's so damn easy to do so, and because I feel like the "always gun" should always be there.
The ammo drought has made me really appreciate the dry fire capabilities of the revolver.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry a Glock 19 because it works and holds a reasonable amount of ammo.

Carry rotations are retarded. It's not a purse that needs to match your outfit nor is it a toy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Carry rotations are retarded. It's not a purse that needs to match your outfit nor is it a toy.
View Quote

I have a few guns I like to carry. I am confident, and capable, with all of them.

Hell, it is far from my first choice, but my Glock 42 was my primary carry gun for a few days when I was having some back issues and was waiting to see the chiropractor.

I carry AIWB, IWB, and OWB, dependent on the day, what I feel like, etc.

Ain't nothing wrong with it. As long as you're carrying something you know you can shoot, and are comfortable with whatever drawbacks or advantages there are to that gun and method of the day.

ETA: I do have an overall standard EDC, but sometimes, I do switch it up for a day here and there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

G19 + RMR:  Not the best at 1 thing but great at everything.

- Winter, spring, summer, fall.
- Carry, competition, range, woods, nightstand.

A single, ubiquitous platform/caliber that does it all.  1 pile of parts/mags/holsters.  1 manual of arms to train on.

I can hit plates out to 100Y easily. RMR gives me target focus + accuracy with no speed penalty (it's all in the presentation).

It never made sense to me to compete with 1 gun and carry another one ... and all the considerations that come with it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:13:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your tone and demeanor is retarded. Its not a purse that needs to "match my outfit" and I did not imply it was a toy. Unscrew your attitude. This ain't GD.

Try again.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I make an effort to carry what I feel i shoot well. In my case it’s either a BHP or a 1911 pattern pistol. In both cases I’ll normally carry 2 spare mags simply because it’s as easy to carry 2 as it is one. It doesn’t bother me that one is a  9 mm and the other .45. Either works.  I used to carry a j-frame or later a small .380 for quick run-to-the-store duty but I realized those were just me being lazy. I can carry IWB with minor extra effort and I’ll have a more efficient and effective weapon.

I’ve found that unless social duties REQUIRE a tucked in shirt (extremely rare since I’ve retired) then a full sized weapon is acceptably concealable 100% of the time. So whether I’m working under the truck, out on the tractor, or out at dinner, I’m armed with a weapon I can shoot effectively.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry a G17L with a red-dot. Usually with a standard 17 round mag. If my shirt is particularly heavy (Sweater or a  jacket I’m not going to unzip) I’m upping my capacity to 19 rounds with a 19X mag.

I carry it in a Dark Star holster I modified to carry extra low for concealment and comfort.

I do this because I value carrying a shootable gun with lots of ammo immediately on board. I know spare mags are also to mitigate malfunctions but I absolutely baby my carry mags (date mark them for spring changes etc.) so I don’t think they’ll fail me

Been carrying this way every time I leave the house since I bought the gun a year ago. No matter if I’m going to get gas down the road or I’m helping my Dad move for 8 hours, the long slide is on me. The capability makes me happy.

I don’t rotate carry guns, instead I rotate carry clothing (short sleeve polo in summer or appropriately sized T-shirt, long sleeve collared shirt in winter or flannel).

Oh yeah, I carry a knife and pepper spray too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry a sig p365 95% of the time. The only time I do not carry this is there are a few times when its just not practical and I need something smaller that can be carried in a pocket. In those instances I carry a kimber micro .380. I switched from a 9mm 1911 to the 365 because i got twice the rounds for 1/2 the weight. I used to rotate guns on a regular basis. After I started carrying and training on a regular basis switching firearms during training just showed me how much muscle memory is important for stressful situations so now I hardly ever rotate.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#13]
@SkunkTop   My carry is dictated by weather/where I'm going.  If I'm just running a few errands in the area I'll grab my g48 with shield mags.  That gives me same capacity as my 19.  If its hot I almost always have my 48.  Come fall or night in summer I'll grab the g19; in winter in the midwest its about 50/50 a g19 or g19 with x300u.   I also always have a reload with the 19.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I live a low risk life in a low risk area. Not no risk, because those don't exist, but I have cultivated a life that is relatively safe and low key. That hasn't always been true so I have years of carrying a full steel 1911 because I shoot it the best. Still do. But if I'm walking the dog around the neighborhood it's an LCP. If there's any chance of even being in town, Sig 365xl. Down town I would up it to the 1911.

and if I know I'm going out at night (I really don't) I have an M&P 2.0 with a light.

All of these have the same grip angle and manual of arms. It doesn't matter if I swipe off a 1911 safety as I draw my LCP, since it doesn't have one. No harm no foul. I have a Flux glock PDW in the glove box most of the time and always if traveling, and that is easy to hit to 100+ yards.

pretty much if you don't do stupid things with stupid people at stupid times you'll be ahead of 99% of bad situations. the pistol is for the one % that happens elsewhere.

all that to say yeah, I mix stuff up.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#15]
heavy bore low cap when defense of family against predators 2 and 4 legged is the most likely scenario. edc.

for me 10mm or 357...

if i was to suit up on porpoise for a fight the 9mm and stick mags come into play as backup to the carbine at that point....

i dont stack super deep on the edc stuff...its that contingency load i dont normally carry at all that is laid in for longterm supply.

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So Im interested in hearing your philosophy of use so to speak in respect to CCW.

I have a CZ75 in 9mm that has 18rd spare mags. That is my go to if I want to roll with capacity and size isn't an issue. Usually in the summer, I AIWB carry a S&W J Frame. I have a few others I rotate through, but obviously you can see these carry. Im looking to consolidate my needs into a compact size firearm. I'd like to consider a commander frame 1911, but every once in a while I get the thought that 8+1 with spares won't be enough in some fantasy situation in my head. Then, when I look at most self defense shootings, the J frame is probably all I need.

What makes you carry what you carry?

Do you rotate different guns within the SAME season?

Any odd carry setups for a particular reason?
View Quote

I carry mostly Glock because I trust them. Right now I'm breaking in a Glock 43X so I'm carrying that.

I rotate between 4 handguns: Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen4, Glock 43X and Ruger LCP. I rotate depending on where I'm going and how I'm dressed.

pocket carry Ruger LCP sometimes due to attire for the occasion
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Your tone and demeanor is retarded. Its not a purse that needs to "match my outfit" and I did not imply it was a toy. Unscrew your attitude. This ain't GD.

Try again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try again.

You asked and I answered. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#18]
HK USP9, 3 extra 15rd mags, knife, light.

My lowest capacity is 12rds and highest is 16rds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top