Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2019 9:11:57 PM EDT
I've done some searching but only found bits and pieces. I need some info. about an 80% frame I bought from Sarco.
'been watching it for a while and it went on sale so I totally buckled and bought it before it went out of stock.

Para "Agent" 80% Steel Frame

Yeah, I know, it's an double action. It will probably be a challenge to find all of the parts, especially since I probably won't be working on it anytime soon.
(t's going to get shelved while I work on other projects.)

Questions: What Para models of complete pistols used this frame? It will help to know this when searching for parts.
Or was this frame strictly sold as something to build on? (I read somewhere that Para used to sell stripped/incomplete frames for builders)
Is a schematic with part numbers available? Will regular slides work or is there something special about the double action platform in regards to the slide?
Whatever else can you share that might be helpful will be appreciated.

Or should I jump ship and not waste my time/money?
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#1]
The Para I knew had a DA called LDA (Lightning DA). It was pretty slick for a smooth long trigger pull but the trigger bar looked very dodgy. The single stack series was known as the C7 and the compact officer size was known as the C7 companion when it debuted around 2003. Per my recollection, the slides were series 80 style and interchangable with Colt 80s, even the DAs.

While I actually used the C7 Companion in self defense, it was the Para that soured me for life on the brand, which was significant considering I was a huge fan of their 14.45 LDA I got around '01. They replaced the C7 twice and when #3 was a turd, George Wedge told me in so many words they had to make a business decision to lose my patronage rather than lose another dime making things right with replacement #3.

Problems included improper heat treating causing peening at the slide stop (causing the weapon to fail to lock back), mis-drilled slide stop, poorly finished and flaking MIM parts including a broken extractor, poorly welded mags in which the floorplate of a single stack mag ruptured from insertion sending a cascade of bullets everywhere. I also recall the tritium was exceptionally dull in the sites, but whether that was right or not, I am positive I am forgetting at least 2 other things.

Para went from innovative quality with customer service second to none (late 1990s-2002) to a sinking ship consisting of fugly gimmicky products, poor customer service and significantly cut corners on QC. I have little idea if they ever turned a corner during the 2010s but the sale to Remington's owners with Para-like Rems having shoddy quality and telltale signs like this forum having only 3 posts within the past year and posts on page 1 being older than 5 years suggests they are headed into their well deserved place into the abyss of gun business failures.

Avoid like the plague.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the insight.
I've pretty much decided not to move forward on this project and your comments (as well as other things I've learned about Para) helped seal the deal.
Why dump money into something that uses specialized/sub-standard parts when I can just build up another series 70?
Maybe I'll use the 80% frame for "practice"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top