Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2022 5:04:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gopher]
I am a big fan of the 92/99 and someone on another board was talking about the 917. I know it takes the 92/99 mags but did it have the 900 series grip and a shortened 92/99 barrel?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Came here expecting to see a good picture of a well armed Patrol Torpedo Boat.    Disappointed.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:29:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Correct, I believe the frames are the same as a PT-92, except some had shallow finger grooves on the front strap.  The interesting bit was the top end; the slide, barrel, and guide rod were, as a whole, 1" shorter.  I'm not sure about the recoil spring length, but assume it's shorter as well.  There were some variations, earlier frames had no finger grooves and no accessory rail, and later frames had finger grooves and accessory rails.  Later variations also had a dovetailed front sight.

I like those 90 series Taurus and happen to think the 917 was perhaps the best of them.  All that was missing was for Taurus to round off the front of the trigger guard, adopt the same magazine catch pattern as the Beretta, and to adopt the dovetailed front sight on all their 90 series, although they will probably be phased out in favor of the cheaper polymer framed pistols now that they've apparently learned how to make a decent one (ref the G3 series).  Unfortunately, Taurus USA currently only lists the full size 92 in black. The day they stop making the handgun that put them on the world map will be a sad day indeed.

The 917C is still available elsewhere, as indicated on the Taurus' Brazilian website.

https://taurusarmas.com.br/pt/produtos/pistolas/917c-9mm

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:52:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I lucked onto a Taurus 92 POLICE model
It appears to be the same gun

Basically it appears to be a
Full size lower with a compact upper
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kels:
I lucked onto a Taurus 92 POLICE model
It appears to be the same gun

Basically it appears to be a
Full size lower with a compact upper
View Quote

Interesting! Hadn't heard of that one, but you're right, looks just like a 917C.  Did yours come with checkered wooden grips and a lanyard loop?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top