Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2018 11:35:23 PM EDT
What are your true thoughts? Give us your honest review. Tell us what you paid, mods you made and, what ammo do you find shoots the best?
What holster do you use if you are CCW. Bring the love or the hate. Pics if you please.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought mine on a whim about a year ago. Paid $200 for it. Distributor sent 2 of them to the shop by mistake. Customer bought his and I got to looking at the gun. Felt very comfortable in my hands. Like the size/mag count equation. Like the loaded chamber indicator and the re-strike capability in the event of a hard primer.
The trigger on my gun is OUTSTANDING. Smooth pull without a bunch of clicks/rough spots ending in a damn nice break. So far it has fed and functioned with most ammo I have tried, with one noted exception, that being the Remington UMC "Leadless" 124 grain Flat nose enclosed base bullet. This is essentially a Jacketed Flat Point with exposed lead at the tip of the bullet. These DO NOT feed reliably at all in this particular gun.

I ordered the stainless recoil spring assembly and the stainless striker/firing pin sleeve just because I can and wanted to work on the gun. Those parts came from LakeLine llc. Those parts serve to increase my already high level of confidence I have in the gun.

My only real point of contention is the with the sights. But what do you expect on a $200 gun. While the sights are sufficiently usable, I don't put much stock in them. I am looking around for some metal sights to replace the factory ones. Saw the Tru-glo sights on the LakeLine site but just find it hard to spend $100 for sights on a $200 gun

All in all I like the gun a lot. Would buy it again if need be. It has become my shop gun in that I usually have it in a generic OWB Yaqui Slide style holster on the days when I'm at work.

I realize Taurus has had its ups and downs over the years, but then so has EVERYBODY ELSE in the Gun World. They may still be a hit or miss proposition, but based on a sample size of 6-7 total guns that I have seen/transfered and owned, they have come a long way. I owned one of their stainless 357 revolvers back in the late 90s that was a damn fine gun.

In closing, my pistol has been a great bargain, excellent value for the money, more than accurate enough for its designed purpose, self defense reliable (over 1000 rounds now). Damn fine deal for the money.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. Lots of good info.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
They do list some tritium sights for 69.00 on their site or, paint the sights that come with them with some fluorescent paint? TruGlo fiber optic sights to.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 of them(paid about $200 each) and put Lakeline's $29.99 metal sights on both. The only problem was one of the original plastic front sights was loose but I decided to just replace all the plastic sights.

Otherwise, I've never had a failure of any kind with either of them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine are decently accurate out to 35 yards, the trigger isn't the best but is extremely predictable and perfectly serviceable for a $200 gun. It eats any ammo I throw at it including hollow points and steel case. Don't yet have a holster for it, but planning on getting one soon. I'd buy another one for sure
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#6]
The only modification I made was a front sight - made for a glcock - from a thread I found here.

The gun has also worked fine for me with my P226 mags, although they stick out of the bottom.  One female shooting the gun had some stovepipes using a P226 mag, but I have had no problem emptying them as fast as I can shoot.

I have let a lot of people shoot the gun as an example of something low-cost that works. Experienced shooters to a person have not liked the way the trigger has to be pulled all of the way to the rear to break. Inexperienced shooters don't know the difference.

I have never carried the gun since I have plenty of others for that, but it's not because it doesn't work.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought one not long ago at a local ffl dealer for $225.00 and really like this little gun. I have yet to shoot it but overall, it is a really nice little gun. The grip is quite comfortable and the factory texturing is done right without being overwhelming. I like the safety option and the trigger is really smooth. For the price, it is a nice pistol. Other than the 92 Taurus pistol I owned, Taurus has made a great little pistol with the G2C.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine are decently accurate out to 35 yards, the trigger isn't the best but is extremely predictable and perfectly serviceable for a $200 gun. It eats any ammo I throw at it including hollow points and steel case. Don't yet have a holster for it, but planning on getting one soon. I'd buy another one for sure
View Quote
Look at versacarry.com for a holster. I've ordered two from them and have been very happy so far. Inexpensive, but well made.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Let me start by telling you all this, I had a PT111G2 BEFORE the huge price drop down to $199 or less.  I'm talking, when they were everywhere in the mid $300's.  Luckily I sold it before the HUGE price drop happened, but not because it was a bad gun.  Actually quite the opposite.  In fact, after bouncing around with many different 9mm carry guns of varying shapes and sizes, I truly believe Taurus has the IDEAL size in this G2 gun.  Let me show you these pics that show it against the Shield with the 8rd mag in it and see for yourself:

I decided rather than the G43X/G48 which uses proprietary mags and only holds 10rd with no extended option, I am going to purchase another $200 G2C for carry.  The other nice thing is that I have a couple 18rd MecGar Sig P226 mags which are a direct fit in the G2 gun.  I have a line on a semi-local used one for $190 cash but I might just wait until one of the local retailers does the $199.99 sale on a new one again.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Picked up a 111g2 for $149.99 @LGS.  

Brought it home and detail stripped the slide for a needed deep cleaning.   Lubed and reassembled and fired one mag in my backyard without issue.  Thinking about grabbing Lakeline sights and striker guide for $60 shipped.  Gonna grab a few 3D printed flat mag bases off eBay too.  Size is just right!
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:58:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Put some anti seize on the rails.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 3:16:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Oddly enough, I tore one of these apart today.  (I'm doing a laser engraving and Cerakote refinish on it).

The finish on this one is just bad.  It's rusting.  In multiple places.  Like all over it.  Customer says he's constantly in a battle with it, cleaning and oiling, but it's stubborn and just seems to really want to rust.  The mag release practically fell out of it, followed by the spring rod thing that the mag release uses for tension.  Not impressed so far.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oddly enough, I tore one of these apart today.  (I'm doing a laser engraving and Cerakote refinish on it).

The finish on this one is just bad.  It's rusting.  In multiple places.  Like all over it.  Customer says he's constantly in a battle with it, cleaning and oiling, but it's stubborn and just seems to really want to rust.  The mag release practically fell out of it, followed by the spring rod thing that the mag release uses for tension.  Not impressed so far.
View Quote
sounds lemony
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know what to think about the rust issue. I have 2 of them, no rust ever.

The early ones do have a problem with the mag release. Taurus offers an updated release mechanism that you can easily change out. I'd highly recommend anyone with a sloppy mag release do the update, it will save you a headache in the future(besides making the magazine fit tighter and the release more positive).
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#15]
How do you get the mag release? Call Taurus?
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How do you get the mag release? Call Taurus?
View Quote
That's what I did. I think they were $3 each(they charged me more for shipping than the 2 tiny parts).

After replacement the mag rests a mm higher in the mag well and the release button goes in a mm farther before the mag drops, the gun feels more like it should.

Not replacing eventually wears a groove in the frame and the release falls out completely, I think the frame is also ruined at that point.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Detail stripped mine last night in preparation for installing the new parts (striker guide, sights, and KeepTinkering SAO trigger shoe).  Came apart pretty easily with some patience and following the YouTube vids.  I did some stoning/polishing on the trigger bar and polished the striker safety plunger.  It'll be so nice to get rid of that pathetic trigger safety.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Trigger came in today and installed pretty easily.  Way better action now.  Here it is with new trigger & sights installed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I paid around $219 quite some time ago

got the ebay flat mag plate and metal sights both front and back (did not have tritium at the time or would have got a front tritium)

and the metal guide rod.

really wish other companies would offer some competition in this size range. with mods it's over $300
I keep in my car incase I forget my ccw

I trust it for the most part and have had a few failure to feed at the range (other shooters limp wristing it) so none of my other autos do that with new shooters

only other gripe with mine is I wish it was two tone
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Have had mine for about 4-5 years, got it from PSA on sale for 175, after transfer and shipping I was right around 210$. I absolutely love the gun, have had zero issues with it. It did take a little time to get used to the trigger, but is really a great gun. My wife really liked the double strike capability. We were shooting some monarch steel case ammo and were having a lot of primers not going off. This was the case in all 3 of the guns we were shooting, G19,sd9ve, and of course the g2. She loved the fact all she had to do was pull the trigger again. I added the lakeline fiber optic sights and Foxx grips or talon, can't remember. I do carry this gun often, but do switch out sometimes. Will never get rid of it, probably will upgrade to the stainless steel recoil assembly in the near future.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Have had mine for about 4-5 years, got it from PSA on sale for 175, after transfer and shipping I was right around 210$. I absolutely love the gun, have had zero issues with it. It did take a little time to get used to the trigger, but is really a great gun. My wife really liked the double strike capability. We were shooting some monarch steel case ammo and were having a lot of primers not going off. This was the case in all 3 of the guns we were shooting, G19,sd9ve, and of course the g2. She loved the fact all she had to do was pull the trigger again. I added the lakeline fiber optic sights and Foxx grips or talon, can't remember. I do carry this gun often, but do switch out sometimes. Will never get rid of it, probably will upgrade to the stainless steel recoil assembly in the near future.
View Quote
What's the advantage of changing out the guide rod to a steel one?
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What's the advantage of changing out the guide rod to a steel one?
View Quote
some users have had the nose of the plastic stock one fracture under firing many many rounds.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Only because it's plastic, I haven't had any problems with stock but, just in case. It's cheap enough not to really matter.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 5:02:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I have 3 of them, so obviously, I like them.

2 of them have been modified with Lakeline recoil assemblies, sights, etc, and one is NIB, unshot.

The oldest one has had a couple of thousand rounds through it with one single hangup, the 3rd shot out of the box jammed it hard. After that, it's eaten everything. The second one has about 300 through it with zero issues.
Weird trigger that I had no problems getting used to. Finish isn't great but for under $200, not a big deal.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#25]
@77Powerwagon if you're handy, I highly recommend doing one of keeptinkering's triggers like I did.  Phenomenal change.  You have 3 after all.  Do one and try it for $35
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Is the ā€œCā€ a new model?

Ad in a magazine said 12 rounds and another article said single stack?
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is the ā€œCā€ a new model?

Ad in a magazine said 12 rounds and another article said single stack?
View Quote
G2C is the new designation for the PT111G2, same firearm but they deleted the internal locking mechanism on the slide.

The single stack version is the G2S(slim). Same gun with a slightly narrower frame(7+1 capacity). It's basically the new 709.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok being honest..... Bought mine when the Gen-2 first came out. Paid ~200$, I have at least 2K rounds through it with 0 Yes Zero malfunction's of any kind. Does it 'rattle'-Yup; is it a bit 'loose' (sorta like a Russian AK) Yup; at +25yds does it shoot saucer-size groups, not really, more like paper plate size; does it shoot any; i mean any kind of 9mm ammo Yup all day long, and mixed in the mag.
I get flamed a lot by my friends for using this as my daily carry piece, but it has never let me down at the range, ever!

Side note; if God forbid i ever had to use my weapon in self-defense, it would be taken away never to be returned. i'm only out ~200-bucks. Not like a 4K$ ATI or Wilson combat.

Yes I do trust this gun with mine and my family's life.

Dave
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Picked up a G2C yesterday at gun show. Price was $199+tax. Using three S&W rebates and the rebate I'll get back from Taurus I got it for $81.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Just picked one up. The mag release was really stiff but after about 15 pushes and mag swaps it feels much better. Trigger is interesting but not at all bad. If it works as others describe, definitely a keeper!
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Picked up a G2C.

To give you a breadth of my experience I own many handguns from Glock, Beretta, Sig, Colt, Rock Island, Ruger, FN, S&W, Kel-tec and I'm sure some other brands I am forgetting as well as brands sold away.  I didn't buy the G2C because it was cheap, I bought it because I wanted to buy something on a whim which I hadn't fooled with a bunch.

For $200 I figured I would be in for lots of negatives but it is surprisingly satisfying.  Trigger is fine, light and with a short reset.  Takedown is simple.  Polymer seems solid enough, grip is good and material seems dense.  Small metal parts appear clean with no rough cast, grinding or mold marks.  Finish on the slide is evenly parkerized with no tool marks present.  Barrel looks to be of quality on-par with most aftermarket Glock style barrels.  Magazines look very well made, almost like Mec-gars.

I'd rate the fit and finish over anything from Kel-tec and slightly better than my cheaper Rugers like the LC-380.  Reminds me a lot of the attention to detail of the Turkish Canik and Zenith guns.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Reminds me a lot of the attention to detail of the Turkish Canik and Zenith guns.
View Quote
Zenith is an importer, do you mean Girsan?
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Zenith is an importer, do you mean Girsan?
View Quote
That's the one.  You get the point, I've paid more and the quality can definately be better, but initial impressions are that you get a lot for $200.  Heck, I like it better than the Kahr CM9 I traded away.

Hitting the range tonight.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought a G2C yesterday for $199.99 out the door and will get a $25 rebate from Taurus, so $174.99 for it.  I bought it on a whim as it was cheap and looks like a decent made gun.  I cleaned it today and will shoot it next week.  It does get great reviews for it being a Taurus.  I have read that you can use Sig P226 mags in it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I bought a G2C yesterday for $199.99 out the door and will get a $25 rebate from Taurus, so $174.99 for it.  I bought it on a whim as it was cheap and looks like a decent made gun.  I cleaned it today and will shoot it next week.  It does get great reviews for it being a Taurus.  I have read that you can use Sig P226 mags in it.
View Quote
yep, and 24/7 mags, and TP9SA mags.  All work fine.  I have mine with a 17rd 24/7 mag I bought off the EE here for $10.  I bought a 3D printed mag sleeve off ebay for $3.99.  It is my stash gun in the basement in case I'm down there unarmed and need a weapon suddenly.  Great gun.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:23:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
yep, and 24/7 mags, and TP9SA mags.  All work fine.  I have mine with a 17rd 24/7 mag I bought off the EE here for $10.  I bought a 3D printed mag sleeve off ebay for $3.99.  It is my stash gun in the basement in case I'm down there unarmed and need a weapon suddenly.  Great gun.
View Quote
24/7 or 24/7 G2, since they are not the same...?

Forrest
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

24/7 or 24/7 G2, since they are not the same...?

Forrest
View Quote
no idea.  Probably a G2.  Has a bright yellow follower and a slanted baseplate IIRC
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

no idea.  Probably a G2.  Has a bright yellow follower and a slanted baseplate IIRC
View Quote
You 'forced me' to pull my PT 24/7 and 24/7G2 out of the safe...

What I found was that the mag for the 24/7G2 (with the yellow follower) will NOT lock up in the PT111G2.

The mag for the 24/7 (with the black follower) locks up just fine (although, whether it functions or not is another question.  I'm guessing that it will).

Intuitively, I would have guessed the opposite, but there it is...

Forrest
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Odd.  My yellow follower 17rd mag runs and locks without issue
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a G2 coming in Tuesday, I bought it for my "Truck Gun". Looking forward to ringing it out and seeing what Taurus has going these days, I let the past be the past. I will try a High Viz Glock green fiber optic on it that I have on my G17.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#41]
My new G2C runs flawlessly. 400 rounds and re loads, this firearm runs like a more expensive firearm. It also works with Sig 226 magazines. I purchased this to try out another hide away gun. I like it so much I now carry it. Taurus did a magnificent job. I have not modified it. I am a little afraid to tell people I own a Taurus, but this pistol works. I am considering purchasing another one with a FDE frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top