Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2017 9:37:54 AM EDT
I know Taurus is known for it's lower price point and mediocre quality, and they can be decent and reliable firearms for the price. It is what it is, and has been since they've been in business. However, being some-what OCD about fit and finish, I've noticed that the new PT111 Milinium G2 model, which has been out since 2013 (more or less) is getting sloppier and sloppier on the machining on the slide, especially the bevel cut on the front end of the slide sides. The one I have looks neat and well contoured on the right side, but the left side is cut/milled a bit crooked. It's just something I notice about my guns.

I looked at a PT111 G2 with the stainless slide at a gun store yesterday, and the machining in this area was very sloppy (much worse than mine), particularly on the left side of the slide. I know looks, fit and finish is not as important as functionality, but it is important. I wish Taurus would pay more attention to this detail. This particular model seems to be a good seller for them and I guess they have speeded up the production process without regard to neatness, fit or finish. It's definitely one of the differences between Taurus and other brands that cost more. If fit and finish in not important, they're great guns for the price.   
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Good news!  Mine is a late 2016 (All black) and it seem symetrical
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good news!  Mine is a late 2016 (All black) and it seem symetrical
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Thing is, I really like the PT111 Millennium G2... 

In spite of the long trigger pull, it shoots better than some of my other, more expensive handguns. I wish they'd adjust that milling machine that cuts the slide so the contour/style lines are more consistent.

I'm starting to see a few used ones for sale; maybe I could luck up on low mileage one where the slide isn't so sloppily machined.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:01:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Palmetto Armory had them new for $209 in today's (yesterday's now) email flyer.  lot of gun for real value price
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#5]
My pt140 g2 SS slide has some tooling marks visible, whereas  pt111 g2 blued is almost flawless. On both, the slide serrations are non uniform just around the depression cut for the key lock. Both are 100% reliable
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Palmetto Armory had them new for $209 in today's (yesterday's now) email flyer.  lot of gun for real value price
View Quote
That's where I purchased mine, and that's what I paid. Yes, I too thought it was a very good price. Of course, the shipping and tax, along with the FFL transfer fee raised the price up to about $265 or so. Still not a bad price. 

I have an older Taurus PT99 I've had for many years. The machining, fit and finish on that gun is very good. I think it is a 1992 model or so... (no hammer decocker). It shoots good too; never a jam or misfire. 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#7]
A picture is worth a 1000 words; these photos are not as clear as I would have liked, but this is what I'm talking about. I have two of these PT111 G2s, one in black one with the SS slide. You can see the style-line on the slides which is supposed to be vertically in line with the bevel in the polymer frame, is way off, and crooked to boot. But they do shoot good, and feel good in my hand.

The second photo down (though pretty blurry) is the right side of the black model. It is machined/contoured pretty well. That is how they all should be. But the left side is off a bit. The one with the SS slide is sloppy on both sides. Still, good guns for the money, I suppose.   

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I had to go look at mine, both sides of mine are better than yours, on the left side of the slide mine is straight and comes very close to mating well with the receiver.  The right side is even better.  So mine is better, but if I had yours I would still be happy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had to go look at mine, both sides of mine are better than yours, on the left side of the slide mine is straight and comes very close to mating well with the receiver.  The right side is even better.  So mine is better, but if I had yours I would still be happy.
View Quote
Hey, thanks for the encouragement. 

Being somewhat of a perfectionist has caused me a lot of grief over the years. On the other hand, if you look at the factory photos of the PT111 Millennium G2, it shows the machining of this area almost perfectly machined/cut and aligned with the style lines in the polymer frame. I guess since they are selling so well, they are getting sloppy with the machining at the factory. The fact that your PT111 G2 and others here, don't have this issue is evidence of that...     

Here are the pics of the PT111 G2 on their website. I wish mine looked like this. Then I'd be even more satisfied with my purchases. 

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:27:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Being somewhat of a perfectionist has caused me a lot of grief over the years...     

Here are the pics of the PT111 G2 on their website. I wish mine looked like this.
View Quote

Website pics are often imperfect objects photoshopped to perfection. Hamburgers always look great in the ad posters, too  
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Website pics are often imperfect objects photoshopped to perfection. Hamburgers always look great in the ad posters, too  
View Quote
Good point... 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Man you do have a bad case ocd
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Man you do have a bad case ocd
View Quote
Yep, I agree. Always have had for some reason. Some call it being a perfectionist, which has caused me a lot of grief over the years. But I do appreciate good quality and workmanship (fit, finish & function) in a firearm. In fact, I traded the Taurus PT111 G2 with the stainless slide for a gen-4 Glock 19. Much better fit and finish, although twice the price. I still have the PT111 G2 with the black finish.

I reckon the old saying is true, you get what you pay for... (at least most of the time:-) 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top