Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2021 3:50:49 PM EDT
The PSP have had the Sig 227 in 45 auto for a good while and I think Sig quit making that one , what might they go with next a 320 or Glock 17/5 ?????? any thoughts .
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Last two guns were 45acp.  What makes you think they'd move off of that caliber?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Well about all the rest are going 9mm ,I would bet a 320 or Glock gen 5 gun but, just a guess . Most of the ones I do know don`t seem to care , one traded his 96 D for a welder to a guy up the road .
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Last two guns were 45acp.  What makes you think they'd move off of that caliber?
View Quote
The Florida Highway Patrol moved from 45 GAP to 9mm. Before that they used 40 S&W.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Sig P320, if I had to guess
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't met one that can shoot worth a damn, so it really doesn't matter.  Give them blue guns.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#6]
A buddy of mine said the same thing , at times had trouble finding 45 Gap ammo I think he said they only get 1 box ammo a year . hardly any of them could hit anything with the D/A Beretta 40 they had .
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Talked to a Trooper last year. He said the money was on the SiG 320 with 147 Winchester (M1153) grain bullets. For some reason they just LOVE shooting through windshields for a test.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I assume PSP is referring to Pennsylvania State Police?

I am in Pennsylvania State Parole

We carry Glock 21s right now and are going to the G45 next month.  

Maybe PSP will, too?

But we are under two completely different structures/chains of command.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Its going to be 9mm and its looking like Sig 320s right now.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Talked to a Trooper last year. He said the money was on the SiG 320 with 147 Winchester (M1153) grain bullets. For some reason they just LOVE shooting through windshields for a test.
View Quote

They test through windshields because they deal with cars, and the people in them, very regularly. The Ohio Highway Patrol does the same thing because the VAST majority of their work involves cars and traffic stops. Kinda makes sense, when you think about it.

It also makes sense that they are considering Sig 320s. They already use Sigs and are familiar with the manufacturer. I'd bet that Sig will give them truly OUTSTANDING terms to swap out the P227s for 320s, if for no other reason so that Sig can claim that PSP uses the 320. In the LE supply business, the more large organizations you can list that carry your gun, the more organizations will look at them and buy them, with the reasoning that if "X" number of large organizations use them, they must be good. That's one reason Glock took off so fast with American police depts. Not because they are good guns (I won't argue that, because they are), but because they undercut everyone else for price, on top of being good guns. They could then go to depts looking at new guns and say, "See, X number of large depts use Glocks, you should, too", then give them an outstanding price and good trade in terms for the old guns. It's a whole process that, at times, can be full of corruption and graft.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I could see Sig taking the old 227 and giving a new 320 , we all herd of deals like this . I never thought a 45 acp even though a great round was the best for High Way patrol use . But do I know .
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I never thought a 45 acp even though a great round was the best for High Way patrol use . But do I know .
View Quote

I've tested 9,40 and 45 into windshields years ago.  Aiming at the head of a TranstarII cardboard behind the wheel would put the 9mm low something like 4 or more inches everytime.  The 45 was POA/POI that I recall.  Just one data point but knowing one round always deflected and another did not was a consideration.  

Also you have to remember multiple levels of the Chain of Command are involved in a LE firearms decision.  If the boss is a fan of 45 before the process starts that could weigh in on any final decision.  David
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I haven't met one that can shoot worth a damn, so it really doesn't matter.  Give them blue guns.
View Quote

You must not have met some of the ones I know.

That being said, I was a FI for them since 92. Most are mediocre, some are horrible, but others...pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Help me out here... Why do we care what the PSP uses?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That being said, I was a FI for them since 92. Most are mediocre, some are horrible, but others...pretty impressive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess not.  I'm related to a couple, friends with a couple, and know a bunch of others throughout the state.  All are great people.  As far as shooting skills, average to below average at best, though I've seen this in courses attended by SWAT/SRT as well.  They have a broad spectrum of skills, shooting is just part of it.  I am certain there are exceptions.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Help me out here... Why do we care what the PSP uses?
View Quote
Have you ever posted about what you use?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:40:55 AM EDT
[#17]
PSP is going with the P320. Already have some at the academy and have been tested. I hope they do better in 9mm than other calibers. This will he PSP's 6th new pistol in the last 20 years. Stainless Beretta 96, blued Beretta 96, Glock 45 GAP, Glock 45 acp, Sig 227 45acp and soon the Sig P320.  I was issued a P320 in 357 Sig. I HATE that thing. I'm on the 3rd one from Sig. First was traded back for an upgraded pistol due to the drop issues. Sig wouldn't upgrade the slide on LE pistols only trade them in at no cost for new ones. Second one I got was supposed to be new. It looked like it was well used. Finish wore off the front of the slide and barrel. Internal parts had very visible wear, scuff marks all over it. Must have been a CPO pistol they tried to sneak in on us. The 3rd one they sent when called out on replacing my original with a used pos hits 15" low at 25 yards. Sig won't respond to my emails and never returned my calls. It was never put in service. I'm carrying a personal Glock model 45 until Glock 31s become available at the dealer we use. We are dumping the P320 for Glocks in 357. One guy in the department wants to buy his. The rest of us can't wait to see them go away. We tried staying with Sig when we retired our P226 in 357.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#18]
320, gross.  Should just go with a Glock.  

Reports I’ve read, 320s just go bang for no reason...
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:27:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
320, gross.  Should just go with a Glock.  

Reports I’ve read, 320s just go bang for no reason...
View Quote

Hey at least the guns go "bang". I'm still waiting for Wolf to issue rubber guns to the PSP (not to his Majesty's protective detail, of course). THIS, boys and girls, is what happens when you recruit more from colleges and universities than the military......

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hey at least the guns go "bang". I'm still waiting for Wolf to issue rubber guns to the PSP (not to his Majesty's protective detail, of course). THIS, boys and girls, is what happens when you recruit more from colleges and universities than the military......

View Quote

Didn't the military just adopt the SIG 320...   you may have this backwards....
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I was referring to the fact that the current crop of PSP aren't quite as good as the old PSP. They made a college degree more favorable to have than being a vet. Last year I waited about two hours for a Trooper to just show up. Mind you, it was cold outside too. I told the guy if I have to shoot someone to defend my life, I'll just bury him (I have a backhoe) because I wouldn't want to have to smell the stink from the decomposing body by the time the PSP FINALLY got there.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:12:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Indiana State Police currently issue the P227 and they do very well with it in actual shootings.

Eventually they will have to get new guns and the rumor is it’ll be 9mm Sig 320 but they have not started down the road.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#23]
If they go 9mm , maybe the state will give them two boxes of ammo for the year to practice with .
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:07:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd like to see them switch to the P320 in .357 SIG.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:07:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Indiana State Police currently issue the P227 and they do very well with it in actual shootings.

Eventually they will have to get new guns and the rumor is it’ll be 9mm Sig 320 but they have not started down the road.

View Quote

Wait, ISP has semi-automatics? I thought those bumpkins still used revolvers...
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Indiana State Police have been using semi auto since the early 90’s.  They first issued the Beretta 92 and a Beretta 84 380 as a back up.   They then switched to the 40 caliber Beretta model 96.   After that they seem to switch handguns frequently when there is a change to a different Superintendent (Head Cheese).   The In. S. P.  have issued a couple different Glocks and a couple different Sigs in different calibers.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Florida Highway Patrol moved from 45 GAP to 9mm. Before that they used 40 S&W.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSP likes flavor of the month so probably 9mm this time.  

They went with Berettas in 40 in the 90s, then I think Glocks in 45 GAP, then Glock 21, then Sig 227.  So yeah the 320 or a Glock 9mm could be in order.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#28]
They always choose the dumbest handguns. Double action only Beretta 96, Glock chambered in 45 GAP, Sig 227 when this gun was on it’s way out.   Next will likely be something similarly foolish. I’m not a huge Glock fanatic, but just give them a Glock 17 MOS or 45 MOS and call it a day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top