Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2019 11:51:15 AM EDT
With PSA having them for $269 shipped (so right at $300 OTD for me with tax and transfer) I figured I'd try one.

I've been using a Shield for summer carry, and wanted to compare.

Well, I picked it up today, cleaned it, and put 300 rounds through it.

150 rounds 115g Blazer Brass
100 rounds 147g American Eagle
50 rounds Federal HST 124g

No malfunctions of any kind.

My thoughts:

-the 115g stuff had some brass to the face issues, but functioned fine.  The other stuff all ejected nicely away from my head with authority.

-the 7-rd magazine made it as easy to shoot as my G19 for me.

-the 6-round magazine makes it really concealable, and is a lot easier for me to shoot than my G26 or G27 with a flush magazine and the pinky hanging off in a similar fashion.

-I need to buy more magazines.

-This is a lot better shooter for me than my Shield.  I think it's because I'm not a huge fan of the hinged trigger.  I have a stock gen-1 trigger on my 9mm Shield.  The Walther's stock trigger was much easier for me to shoot fast and still hit.

-I was able to shoot this weak-handed better than anything else other than my Gen2 G17.

I think I will be upgrading to real night sights and carrying this a lot.  I'm considering getting a backup while PSA still has them at this price, as my LGS said that price was well below their cost.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been on the fence, always liked the PPS and they are inexpensive from several dealers right now. I too have been going shield V1 for a while and while I shoot it well I know the PPS would be an upgrade. Might be my next purchase.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The PPS is the unknown gem of the subcompact world.   It predates most other offerings and has always been a fine pistol.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my PPS M2 better than the Shield 9 I use to have.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I was an early adopter of the PPS platform, and recall having to swat the staff of the LGS away from my pistol when I went to pick it up as it was such a novelty back then, with its super flat design.  The PPS M1 has been a safe, accurate and dependable companion for many a weary mile and have no doubt you will have the same experience with your new one.

Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Love my pps m2, but the 6 round mag is just useless to me. Very much prefer the 7 round.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#6]
The PPS M2 would be a good value for $500, it is extremely well made, reliable, accurate, etc. At current prices I’d say it is probably the best purchase in the concealed carry market.

I have three of them, one to carry, one to practice with, and a spare. For $270 I’m tempted to pick up another.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#7]
pps m2 only gun i ever sold.  could not get comfortable grip no matter how hard i tried.  but it was reliable and accurate and cheap.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Shot a friend's at the range a few weeks ago, fantastic trigger, great little gun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
pps m2 only gun i ever sold.  could not get comfortable grip no matter how hard i tried.  but it was reliable and accurate and cheap.
View Quote
Yeah, I could see that.  It fits me so well that I imagine if it doesn't fit you, it's the other extreme.

It definitely isn't my G19 that "kinda" fits everybody
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was that way with the PPS M1, just didn’t feel right.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Another 150 through it today.

No malfunctions.

No more brass to the face.

More magazines ordered.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The PPS M2 would be a good value for $500, it is extremely well made, reliable, accurate, etc. At current prices I’d say it is probably the best purchase in the concealed carry market.

I have three of them, one to carry, one to practice with, and a spare. For $270 I’m tempted to pick up another.
View Quote
This makes me want to buy another... just in case.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#13]
How much are the magazines?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I paid $55 shipped for two 8 rd mags. That was the best I found. Most seemed to be $30-40 per.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I took some work people to the range.

The 4'10" nurse who previously said she couldn't shoot anything "bigger' than her Sig .380 loved it.

She also said previously she hated Glocks but LOVED my G17 in a Micro Roni.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I was watching  MrGunsandGear review of the PPS M2 and he mentioned that the slide is designed not to lock back on the last round.

Is this anyone else's experience?
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was watching  MrGunsandGear review of the PPS M2 and he mentioned that the slide is designed not to lock back on the last round.

View Quote
Perhaps that was a misstatement, mine locks back just fine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Perhaps that was a misstatement, mine locks back just fine.
View Quote
As do mine. I suspect he misspoke.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine locks back with my 4 magazines.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
yeah, they lock back on the last round.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I paid $55 shipped for two 8 rd mags. That was the best I found. Most seemed to be $30-40 per.
View Quote
Keep some on your ebay wish list and wait for the 10-15% off coupons.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Waiting for PSA to run them on sale again. If their Columbia retail store will price match the "No, PSA, no!!!" price then I'll use the S&W rebate prepaid debit cards against the cost. That would be cool to walk out the door with a new Walther for around $165.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Waiting for PSA to run them on sale again. If their Columbia retail store will price match the "No, PSA, no!!!" price then I'll use the S&W rebate prepaid debit cards against the cost. That would be cool to walk out the door with a new Walther for around $165.
View Quote
$269 on sale right now.

Pps m2

@thepontificator
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I picked one up too. I shot one last year and was impressed with it. Saw the sale on psa and had to make it happen. Now to find a holster and some 8rd mags. Any holster recomendations?
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I picked one up too. I shot one last year and was impressed with it. Saw the sale on psa and had to make it happen. Now to find a holster and some 8rd mags. Any holster recomendations?
View Quote
I have a jmck and love it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Shot a friend's at the range a few weeks ago, fantastic trigger, great little gun.
View Quote
I think the trigger sucks. I had 2.
Factory enhanced or apex ..shield blows it away.
Only reason I went to Shield. There is nearly no aftermarket support for Walther and trying to converse or get any meaningful attention from the Walther Authorized Dbag turned me off.
Otherwise I like it. Best wishes..
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

$269 on sale right now.

Pps m2

@thepontificator
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have a jmck and love it.
View Quote
Agreed. I’ve got a JMCK AIWB for it. Love it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a Black Arch IWB holster for my M2 and really like it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#30]
The PPS M2 is my first pistol (also this is my first post).  I love everything about it.  I have quite a bit of experience shooting just never personally owned a pistol.  I go to the range weekly with a buddy and he lets me shoot his various pistols and I let him shoot my ARs and precision rifles.  All of that being said here a few of my observations:

Magazines: The 6 rounder is great for carry but basically worthless (for me) at the range as it doesn't allow for a full grip.  Still non-the-less if you are going to carry with it you better practice with it so I do.  I invested in a few 8 round magazines to have a more desirable grip while at the range.

Rounds:  After about 500 rounds I have settled on 124 gr as it seems to perform the best for me.  I usually use American Eagle if I am going to the range.  As someone stated above the 115 gr caused a few spent casings hitting me in the head or on the side.  I am a lefty so this issue is amplified.  This brings me to my next point...

Slide release:  Not having ambidextrous slide release on this thing really bugs me being left handed.  I don't have much issue with the mag release as I am able to quickly and efficiently change after some adjustments.  The slide release I just have trouble with for some reason.

This gun is easy enough to operate and clean.  I have had no issues or malfunctions to speak of and really enjoy shooting it.  Only thing I have added to it are some Talon grips to allow better traction when reaching for that slide release and helps with the way I maneuver my hands for a mag change.  My .02.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The PPS is the unknown gem of the subcompact world.   It predates most other offerings and has always been a fine pistol.
View Quote
Agreed. Very underrated. My brother has the LEO model (night sights and 3 mags) one and it’s awesome.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought one recently. Owned a Creed for a while and my sister has a PPQ and P38. These were my only experiences with Walther. Very impressed with the PPS and love it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Love my PPS M2.

going to buy another before I send mine in for the recall.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Yesterday's "No PSA! No!" daily ad again listed the PPS M2 for $269 did not notice if free shipping or not.

The downside to that great price is that spare mags are pricey. You might find online vendors knocking down a couple of dollars but still...
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yesterday's "No PSA! No!" daily ad again listed the PPS M2 for $269 did not notice if free shipping or not.

The downside to that great price is that spare mags are pricey. You might find online vendors knocking down a couple of dollars but still...
View Quote
I get mine off ebay. Best price and always can find free shipping. Wait for a 10/15% off coupon code and buy a few.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Update on my PPS M2 - I have developed an issue that sounds like is not common, but also not uncommon...  I am having issues with the beaver tail on the left side of the frame rubbing/hitting my first knuckle on my thumb (where thumb meets hand).  This wasn't too bad at first and I tried changing my grip, but nothing seems to help.  I noticed when compared to my various other carry guns that the PPS has a slightly wider and squared off frame which causes the issue.  I think the only solution would be to take a Dremel to it or use some heat to mold it.  I don't think I will do this though, I don't want to compromise anything (including resale value).  Anybody else run into this issue?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 12:01:32 AM EDT
[#37]
I just picked up a PPS M2 tonight at Academy. They matched PSA and beat it by 5% since there is a PSA down the street. About $270 OTD.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I can’t figure out why the PPSM2 is suddenly so cheap. Bud”s has the 2-magazine standard sight model for $258 at the moment and they are far from the only place. That is Taurus or Ruger budget pistol money. The PPSM2 was a solid buy 2-3 years ago for ~$475. I have three of them already but for $260 I’m really tempted to pick up a couple more for my kids when they get a little older.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#39]
After getting disappointed with the lightweight G43, I looked for the heaviest single stack/slim 9mm pistol I could find.

It was the PPS M2.  I bought it sight unseen and unfired, and immediately knew it was the pistol I had been looking for for concealed carry.

Only thing that I had forgotten after carrying Glocks for so long was the magazine; It's metal and after being exposed to sweat from my undershirt on several trips it started rusting/pitting.  A quick trip to Robar for NP3 coating fixed it, but just FYI.

I prefer paddle releases though, so if anyone knows where I could find the now-hard-to-find PPS M1....
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#40]
A question for anyone who happens to own both the Walther and S&W Shield, Are they close enough in size to share holsters?

I gave my Shield to my daughter and was going to replace it with another one but I like the looks of the PPS too. I still have several leather holsters for the Shield so being able to recycle them for use with the PPS would make the decision easy.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A question for anyone who happens to own both the Walther and S&W Shield, Are they close enough in size to share holsters?

I gave my Shield to my daughter and was going to replace it with another one but I like the looks of the PPS too. I still have several leather holsters for the Shield so being able to recycle them for use with the PPS would make the decision easy.
View Quote
I don’t have a Shield 9 anymore but I doubt they would fit. Different contours.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Since purchase I have taken the pistol to the range a couple of time and shot only minimal ammo through it.

But yesterday I grabbed a big bag of reloads because yesterday I decided to really wring out this gun.

The Blue Bullets 115gr RN with 4.9grains BE-86 Federal 100 small pistol primers COAL 1.100"

Oh, yeah.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Just picked up one of these to go with my 4" PPQ & Q5 Match. Off to test fire/break in.

Any suggestion for a holster?

ETA: Ran great; not one hiccup. A mag each of 115gr Blazer Brass, 150gr Federal Syntech, 124gr Winchester Ranger +P and several mags of my handload, 147gr Blue Bullet over 3.5gr of CFE Pistol.

It was a quick range session but it seemed to shoot a bit to the left. I'll shoot it some more before I try to drift the sight.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:40:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Well after living with this for a short time, I'll probably sell. Size is too close to the PPQ M2 4". I'm not getting a sense that there's more juice (size) for the squeeze (capacity).

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#45]
I have a m1 that is my go to small carry piece. Its easy to hide, it goes bang every time, it hits where its supposed to, everything a carry piece should be.. It used to be augmented with a p99 for more social gatherings like we had this summer . The p99 Was sent to truck duty this year in favor of a ppq. But for quick easy carry something the pps is my go to
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I had mines suppressed and it runs nicely...

best investment was the galloway precision springs

it helped with the trigger slap and harsh recoil on mines.

I did 20 pound spring rating.
https://gallowayprecision.com/guide-rod-assembly-for-walther-pps-pistols
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top