Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2018 7:32:02 PM EDT
I'm looking to dip a toe into the Walther pond with the PPS M2.

I'm torn between the LE edition with the phosphorescent sights and the XS F8 version.  I'm leaning heavily towards the version they offer with the XS F8 sights on it.  I often put Trijicon HD's on many of my pistols and like the sight picture with them.  So it seemed that, at least in the photos, the XS F8 sights looked very similar.  My concern is that they will be very sharp, pokey, jabby, and snaggy when carrying (Made up nonsense words but you all know what I mean I'm sure).  In the photos, they also seem rather tall so that adds to my concern about possible comfort, snagging in clothes, or poking into car seats issues.

Just an FYI, This will be a carry pistol, IWB, 4-5 o'clock.

Does anyone have any experience or advice?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought standard version. Couldn’t justify the extra cost for the flow in the dark le model even if it came with an extra mag.

I run Dawson fiber front black rear on every handgun I own.  But have yet to look into them for the pps. I just plucked out the white dots in the rear sight and have been surprised how well I shoot the darn thing as is!

I’ve been carrying it for a few months now every single day sun up to sun down and I love it!  I carry it at 3-3:30 owb in a custom leather owb pancake that’s wraped in shark skin :)

I was amazed I shoot it better than glocks from the first time I pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I want to order the PPS M2 with the XS F8 sights. I don’t care for the big dot sight, but the F8 looks good. Very similar to Ameriglo.

Cheapest I can find the F8 sight version is around $420. Better sights but no 8 round mag like the LE kit. Kind of a lousy trade-off. I’ve been carrying a Shield but have become more and more curious about this pistol.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 2:47:51 AM EDT
[#3]
XS F8  rear sights must be glued to the t-slot (dovetail) with red loctite.  This is XS Sight System's recommended method.  Check the install process on YouTube.
I called Walther's technical support and asked whether XS rear sights are press fitted or loctited, unfortunately technician wasn't sure, possibly such info wasn't available to him.

The Trijicon HD.
Trijicon tech support does not recommend any loctite on rear sight, this is the answer I got when I spoke with one of their reps.  
Fit of the rear sight is very loose.  The tiny set screw will not hold the sight in place no matter how hard you torque it.  Mine fell out after 10 rounds.
Now I'm stuck with $150.00 useless junk.  Loctiting rear sights is not an option for me, since it prevents the windage adjustability.
Read the reviews on Walther forums.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have any experience with an other sights that have worked well for them on their PPS M2?

I noticed that on MrGunsandGear's YouTube channel he seems to prefer the TruGlo TFX Pro's on his PPS M2.  However, I've also read here and there some reports of TFX Pro's shooting low on the PPS M2.

After a lot more research and looking at photos, etc....it looks like those XS F8 sights will just be too tall for my use.  They seem a lot taller than other sights I've installed.  For me, that's a problem as taller sights always give me some issues when carrying.  Also, I did see where if you were purchasing XS F8 sights and having them installed that the instructions say to use Red Loctite.  I don't know if Walther does this or not on the models the sell with the XS F8 but I'd have to assume so if that is the process documented by XS.  I only want a friction fit rear sight.  I need to be able to drift the sight a bit if necessary.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 3:41:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
XS F8  rear sights must be glued to the t-slot (dovetail) with red loctite.  This is XS Sight System's recommended method.  Check the install process on YouTube.
I called Walther's technical support and asked whether XS rear sights are press fitted or loctited, unfortunately technician wasn't sure, possibly such info wasn't available to him.

The Trijicon HD.
Trijicon tech support does not recommend any loctite on rear sight, this is the answer I got when I spoke with one of their reps.  
Fit of the rear sight is very loose.  The tiny set screw will not hold the sight in place no matter how hard you torque it.  Mine fell out after 10 rounds.
Now I'm stuck with $150.00 useless junk.  Loctiting rear sights is not an option for me, since it prevents the windage adjustability.
Read the reviews on Walther forums.
View Quote
I have the LE PPS M2. The phosphorescent sights that come with it are basically useless. Carrying concealed, they will not absorb any light. Further, the glow dots fall out fairly soon anyway. I installed a set of Truglo Tritium Pro night sights. They are NOT the same as the TFX Pro. They are easy to install. The rear is a serrated “U” notch with no white around the tritium dots. The front is a large white dot with a tritium center. They can be had for under $80. I’m a big fan of Trijicon HD sights. I have 3 sets of them on various pistols. They are spendy as you know. Fitment of HD’s on the PPS is problematic as mentioned in the quote above.

I would highly recommend the Tritium Pro sights.  Solid fit on the PPS at almost  half the price but the same performance as the Trijicons.

Also, if you get the PPS LE  version you get 3 magazines. 6, 7, and, 8 rd. The 6 round mags have a known problem of locking back with the sixth round still in the mag. I would get the standard version and buy 7 and 8 round extra mags if you need them. I carry the 7 round with an 8 in mag holder.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, in the end, I decided on ordering the PPS M2 with the factory installed XS F8 sights after all.  I'd been googling and researching for days trying to decide between getting the XS F8 model of the PPS M2, or getting the cheapest, standard, 3-dot model of the PPS M2 and putting on a set of either Trijicon HD's or TruGlo TFX sites.

I've got Trijicon HD's on most of my carry guns and on some of them, the back side of that rear sight is pretty sharp.  I've never cut myself on it but I've had it dig holes in a few T-Shirts and dig into bolstered car seats.  The reviews and the reports of the TruGlo TFX Pro sites just didn't quite seem like they'd work for me.  So in the end I decided to go with the factory installed F8's.  Hopefully they work out nice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Let us know how the sights work for you as compared to the HD’s.
Congrats on your purchase!
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I also have the PPS M2 LE. The night sites that come with it are garbage, 1 of the glowing dots feel out the first time to the range. After that I decided to get the Meprolight might sights for about $75 bucks. No complaints with them, good bang for the buck.
Meprolight PPS Night Sights
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got a set of these in the mail:

TruGlo tritium Pro

I’ll get em mounted and report back after I shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 12:43:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Went with the XS big dot on mine.  Really like it

Link Posted: 7/8/2018 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Went with the XS big dot on mine.  Really like it

https://i.imgur.com/oTGtjq9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zWdRG0j.jpg
View Quote
Just picked up my PPS M2 yesterday. The stock sights dont seem bad, but the xs sights look really nice. Please post how they shoot when/if you get a chance.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Tfx on mine, have either tfx or tfx suppressor height on all my handguns
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just picked up my PPS M2 yesterday. The stock sights dont seem bad, but the xs sights look really nice. Please post how they shoot when/if you get a chance.
View Quote
I've shot it plenty since I put the sights on.  With the shorter barrel I think it's easier to pickup the front sight
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I got a chance to give the PPS M2 with factory XS F8 sights a go at the range over the weekend.

I only had a chance to put 200 rounds through it.  Its my first Walther, and first off, I love it.  I am absolutely amazed at this point on how incredibly nice that trigger felt for a tiny subcompact.  I've got a Shield, Glock 43, Glock 42, Glock 26.  Lots of small subcompacts and I'm just really surprised how that PPS M2 felt for such a small pistol.

With regards to the sights...

I don't have any pics at the moment, but I'm pretty confident at this point that the factory XS F8 sights were a good choice.  Both in value and functionality.  Based on my own research of the XS F8 sights I was worried they'd be WAY too tall.  Suppressor height.  Handling the pistol, the sights don't seem *TOO* tall at all.  They are bit taller than Trijicon HD's on some of my pistols.  They didn't look freakish tall or anything like that.  I did make sure all of my holsters for it would handle suppressor height sights though.

The sight picture was VERY nice.  If anything, the taller sights really pulled your eye up away from the "clutter" of the top of the slide and kept you more "up" on the target (if that makes sense).  The big orange dot on the front worked similar to my Trijicon HD's in that it pulled your eye to it.  I tend to prefer the bright yellow dot of the HD's over the orange, but it worked great just the same.  The sights were fast, and surprisingly accurate for such a fat front sight post.  Once again, similar to my comment on "height", based on my research I thought that the front sight would be unreasonably fat and I was expecting to perhaps NOT like it.  I didn't feel too "fat" all.  I shot from 3 yards out to 25 yards and even at 25 it was surprisingly accurate.  Up closer, 10 yards and 7 yards...the sights were surprisingly easy to "find" when settling after recoil.  Follow ups were easier than I expected.

The only thing I am not particularly fond of is the figure 8 vertical alignment of the front sight dot over the rear sight dot compared to the three dot sights I'm used to.  I don't use the rear dots on a pistol unless it were dark, which is why I like the fact that the rears on Trijicon HD's do not have white dots, only tritium vials that you don't really notice unless its dark.  The XS F8's were the same that way.  However, with Trijicon HD's in the dark...I can put the glowing front between the two glowing rears and I know I'm relatively lined up elevation and windage.  With the 2-Dot setup of the XS F8, for me at least, its more difficult to get a reliable elevation cue as to whether you are lined up vertically.  If you put one dot over the other, they don't sit RIGHT on top of each other or touching...here is space between them when lined up properly.  So unless you memorize that amount of space and train setting that up...it would be difficult to find in a hurry.  Of course, all of that only applies in the dark.  With more training and as I get used to it, I might like that 2-dot setup faster.  I'd read advice online and from various trainers that they prefer the 2-dot setup and claim its faster.

The other thing I was concerned about was whether the sights were "sharp".  For me, Trijicon HD's are often very sharp on the back of the rear sight (facing the rear of the pistol) and when sitting where I carry (4 to 5 o'clock) I've had them poke shirts, car seats, etc.  I worried that with the XS F8 sights being "tall" that this might be worse.  So far, they don't seem to sharp at all to me.  So far, they seem better than the Trijicon HD's when it comes to poking shirts and seats.

Value-wise.....the extra price I paid for the XS F8 version from Walther was somewhere around $50 more than the standard version.  That's less than the price of the sights if I had purchased them outright and I didn't have to install them or get them centered.  They were centered and shot well from the factory.  To me, that's a pretty good deal.  The first thing I always do with a new pistol is replace the sights.  I don't like 3-dot white sights because I really need something bright and colored and glowy out front...otherwise I just can't see it well with my poor eyes.  So these sights saved me a lot of trouble.

I did notice that the top of the rear sight has two tiny holes that I could only guess were set screws.  There was no documentation from Walther included in the box with the pistol on the aftermarket sights so there was no included information on whether those screws were fixed with Loctite or whether those were in fact set screws.  I sent an e-mail to Walther and they responded quickly.  They told me that the pistol should have come with a small ziplock bag with a business card/contact info for XS sights and a small allen wrench for the rear sight screws.  My pistol didn't come with any of that.  So I contacted XS Sights and they were awesome.  They responded right away, they told me that they provide that stuff to Walther to include with the pistols, and they mailed me out an allen wrench for the rear sight right away.  I didn't need to move the rear sight anyway, but now at least I have it.

Please bear in mind, the above is only an initial opinion.  I only have a couple hundred rounds through the gun and have only just introduced it into my carry routine.  So my opinion may change as I shoot those XS F8 sights more often.  But so far, so good.  I figured I'd include the information here as other folks seemed curious as well.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, I got a chance to give the PPS M2 with factory XS F8 sights a go at the range over the weekend.

I only had a chance to put 200 rounds through it.  Its my first Walther, and first off, I love it.  I am absolutely amazed at this point on how incredibly nice that trigger felt for a tiny subcompact.  I've got a Shield, Glock 43, Glock 42, Glock 26.  Lots of small subcompacts and I'm just really surprised how that PPS M2 felt for such a small pistol.

With regards to the sights...

I don't have any pics at the moment, but I'm pretty confident at this point that the factory XS F8 sights were a good choice.  Both in value and functionality.  Based on my own research of the XS F8 sights I was worried they'd be WAY too tall.  Suppressor height.  Handling the pistol, the sights don't seem *TOO* tall at all.  They are bit taller than Trijicon HD's on some of my pistols.  They didn't look freakish tall or anything like that.  I did make sure all of my holsters for it would handle suppressor height sights though.

The sight picture was VERY nice.  If anything, the taller sights really pulled your eye up away from the "clutter" of the top of the slide and kept you more "up" on the target (if that makes sense).  The big orange dot on the front worked similar to my Trijicon HD's in that it pulled your eye to it.  I tend to prefer the bright yellow dot of the HD's over the orange, but it worked great just the same.  The sights were fast, and surprisingly accurate for such a fat front sight post.  Once again, similar to my comment on "height", based on my research I thought that the front sight would be unreasonably fat and I was expecting to perhaps NOT like it.  I didn't feel too "fat" all.  I shot from 3 yards out to 25 yards and even at 25 it was surprisingly accurate.  Up closer, 10 yards and 7 yards...the sights were surprisingly easy to "find" when settling after recoil.  Follow ups were easier than I expected.

The only thing I am not particularly fond of is the figure 8 vertical alignment of the front sight dot over the rear sight dot compared to the three dot sights I'm used to.  I don't use the rear dots on a pistol unless it were dark, which is why I like the fact that the rears on Trijicon HD's do not have white dots, only tritium vials that you don't really notice unless its dark.  The XS F8's were the same that way.  However, with Trijicon HD's in the dark...I can put the glowing front between the two glowing rears and I know I'm relatively lined up elevation and windage.  With the 2-Dot setup of the XS F8, for me at least, its more difficult to get a reliable elevation cue as to whether you are lined up vertically.  If you put one dot over the other, they don't sit RIGHT on top of each other or touching...here is space between them when lined up properly.  So unless you memorize that amount of space and train setting that up...it would be difficult to find in a hurry.  Of course, all of that only applies in the dark.  With more training and as I get used to it, I might like that 2-dot setup faster.  I'd read advice online and from various trainers that they prefer the 2-dot setup and claim its faster.

The other thing I was concerned about was whether the sights were "sharp".  For me, Trijicon HD's are often very sharp on the back of the rear sight (facing the rear of the pistol) and when sitting where I carry (4 to 5 o'clock) I've had them poke shirts, car seats, etc.  I worried that with the XS F8 sights being "tall" that this might be worse.  So far, they don't seem to sharp at all to me.  So far, they seem better than the Trijicon HD's when it comes to poking shirts and seats.

Value-wise.....the extra price I paid for the XS F8 version from Walther was somewhere around $50 more than the standard version.  That's less than the price of the sights if I had purchased them outright and I didn't have to install them or get them centered.  They were centered and shot well from the factory.  To me, that's a pretty good deal.  The first thing I always do with a new pistol is replace the sights.  I don't like 3-dot white sights because I really need something bright and colored and glowy out front...otherwise I just can't see it well with my poor eyes.  So these sights saved me a lot of trouble.

I did notice that the top of the rear sight has two tiny holes that I could only guess were set screws.  There was no documentation from Walther included in the box with the pistol on the aftermarket sights so there was no included information on whether those screws were fixed with Loctite or whether those were in fact set screws.  I sent an e-mail to Walther and they responded quickly.  They told me that the pistol should have come with a small ziplock bag with a business card/contact info for XS sights and a small allen wrench for the rear sight screws.  My pistol didn't come with any of that.  So I contacted XS Sights and they were awesome.  They responded right away, they told me that they provide that stuff to Walther to include with the pistols, and they mailed me out an allen wrench for the rear sight right away.  I didn't need to move the rear sight anyway, but now at least I have it.

Please bear in mind, the above is only an initial opinion.  I only have a couple hundred rounds through the gun and have only just introduced it into my carry routine.  So my opinion may change as I shoot those XS F8 sights more often.  But so far, so good.  I figured I'd include the information here as other folks seemed curious as well.
View Quote
Excellent write up! I picked up my PPS M2 over the weekend and while I love the gun, I am not a fan of the three dot stock sights. The F8 or standard XS sights are the top two choices right now as "dotting the i/ or making an 8" seems much faster to me than trying to line up three dots.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I got my set of Truglo Tritium Pro sights in yesterday and installed them this afternoon when I got home from work. Took about 15 minutes. Miles better than the glow in the dark factory sights. Really like that big white dot up front with tritium center. Back sights are kinda oogly from the side but work good and have a nice wide channel. Easy to use one hand to rack the slide using a belt or table/counter edge with these. I'll take it to the range with a few different weights of ammo and see what works best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top