Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2023 10:56:03 PM EDT
I’ve been a PPQ owner for many years and love the gun. Since I enjoy my PPQ, I figured why not buy a PDP so I recently bought a PDP-C.

After the first range trip, unfortunately I will have to say that I don’t like the PDP as much as the PPQ. Here are some of my thoughts.

• The PDP slide design feels overly thick and chunky compared to the PPQ. The more aggressive slide serrations are an upgrade but they are perhaps too deep.

• The PDP trigger is even better than the PPQ trigger.

• The weight and balance of the PDP doesn’t feel right. It’s too light and too heavy and this affects how it shoots. The bore axis of the PPQ was already pretty high and that made the gun “flippy” but the lighter weight frame on the PDP contributes to even more flip.

• I realize that pistol optics aren’t going anywhere but there has to be a more graceful way to do this than a plate with two large screw holes that easily fill with debris and lint.

• The slide design changed from the PPQ so now you have to buy new holsters and other accessories.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:16:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, that's the same with me. My list is virtually identical to yours.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the full size PDP with 4" barrel.  I haven't found any of the issues that the OP has found.  Perhaps it's just the compact that suffers from those issues, but the full size version is far more ergonomic and has far less barrel flip than the PPQ in my experience.  When purchasing any brand of "compact" pistol, in my experience, most of them suffer from the issues described by the OP.  In regards to the PDP-C and the PDP, I don't really see that much of a size difference for concealed carry to matter at all.  This is just my opinion and two cents worth.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:32:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RUT] [#3]
I owned a PPQ 5" in the past and it was a great shooter. However, that's long gone and I recently replaced it with a PDP 4.5" full size. Yes, it's blockier than its predecessor but not to the point that it doesn't work for me. And if you want something optic ready you don't have much choice in the Walther line, so you either take it the way it is or move on to something different.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:37:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought full sized 1st, then the PDP -F. The full size had more flip than the PPQ, and more flip than the F. Sights suck on both PDPs. Wouldn't hold zero on full size, and just don't work well on the F.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
My PPQ Q5 SF looks down its snooty nose at your picks..............................  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USPguy:
My PPQ Q5 SF looks down its snooty nose at your picks..............................  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577645/PPQ_Q5_MATCH_SF_PRO_jpg-2797966.JPG
View Quote

I have not owned a PPQ. I did purchase a PDP Compact last year. It is a great shooter and has a phenomenal trigger. I'm gonna keep it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m new to Walther with the PDP and really like it. It’s my new favorite with a stock trigger. But I will admit, it’s a snappy gun. In 9mm it’s as snappy as my Glocks in .40 cal. (4” compact)
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the PPQ in 45 and my son has the PDP compact.  I'm more accurate with my PPQ, only because I've shot it more.  The other son has the HK VP9.  If I were to get another striker fire 9mm, it would be between those two.  For now, I'll stay with my XD9 compact.  I feel like, for me, it is comparable to the two I mentioned.  I'm likely the only one that would feel that way though.  I've had the XD for a long time and like it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
My first Walther purchase was the PDP in full size, loved the ergos when I picked it up.   Two comparibles I've owned that I put this up against are the FN FNS-9 and HK VP9.   I have mid-sized paws and I like the ergos on the PDP better than the aforementioned pistols.  I decided to send off for the optics plate after buying a Holosun 507c.  Waited a few weeks and finally got it mounted up and off to the range I went.   Admittedly this is my first pistol with a reflex optic and I felt that it is a game-changer in a full size pistol.  I was pleasantly surprised.  But I was also greeted with one of the best out of the box triggers I've tried to date.  Although take-up feels lengthy, once you hit the wall, the break is very clean and has a definitively crisp reset.  A+.    I did experience a couple FTE's in my first box of Blazer rounds but I also had the same in my G48 carry pistol so I will chalk that up to crappy brass.   Overall very happy with the PDP and would definitely recommend.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#10]
>>Although take-up feels lengthy<<

An Apex "flatty" took care of that issue on mine.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a couple of PPQs, which I like very much.

I don't like the chamber design of the PDP, so I won't be picking any up, but maybe that's just me...

Forrest
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Totally disagree.  The PDP Compact feels great and conceals well and I've had no issues with the optic mounting plate.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#13]
PDP 4.5 with a Holosun 507c x2 with surefire x300u is what I keep bedside. Great trigger, but as others have said it is snappy compared to a Glock. The accuracy is phenomenal and almost effortless. Great pistol IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:41:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chevrofreak] [#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FastLoadGuy:
PDP 4.5 with a Holosun 507c x2 with surefire x300u is what I keep bedside. Great trigger, but as others have said it is snappy compared to a Glock. The accuracy is phenomenal and almost effortless. Great pistol IMHO.
View Quote

I bought a PDP-F 4.0" for my girlfriend a month or so ago and when I was zeroing the red dot that thing was printing 1.5" groups at 25 yards.   I was impressed enough that I bought a Q5 Match SF Pro last week.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a ppq and a pdp compact 4".

I conceal carry the ppq, as it's definitely slimmer. I run the pdp with a red dot for the occasional competition and it works great, I never noticed any muzzle flip. I also usually just run cheap 115gr 9mm, so who knows. The 124s are supposed to be a little flatter feeling.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I love my PPQ, but I wanted it with a red dot so I bought a PDP slide and put it on my PPQ. I now have a PDQ.
If I want slim and trim I have a P99 for that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#17]
A few of my own observations.  I have and love a PPQ M2.  I hear a lot of people talk about the PPQ being "flippy".  I don't really get that feeling when shooting it.  I have watched videos of myself shooting it and the muzzle rise, while not as minimal as a P-10C shooting min power factor loads.  When shooting my 124gr HST +P carry ammo the mizzlenrise of the  PPQ  it is no greater than my M&P or Glock witj the same ammo.   I think there is something about the PPQ and PDP ergos that give a weird perception of the muzzle rise.  I think with the PPQ in particular the minimal texture of the grip makes the pistol feel a little squirmy under recoil.  I remedied that with Talon abrasive grips.  I also run a lighter than factory recoil spring.  The factory RSA has always felt too strong to me.  I don't own a PDP but have a decent amount of trigger time on a few.  I feel that the PDP grip texture alone is a huge improvment.  The slide is a little chnky but it is also a huge improvment for manipulating the slide.  The second gen PDP plate system is very good as far as optics plates go.  I prefer a direct milled slide for optics but the PDP system is betterbthan the MOS system if nothing else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top