Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2021 12:58:42 PM EDT
I recently picked up my PDP Compact and just found out about the Sig P365X/XL line.

I have had a PPQ for a while and really liked, which is why I picked up the PDP.

So for Current or former owners of both, what is your preference & why?

P.S. I use MRDS sights.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have tje 365 & 365xl along with the PDP compact. The Sigs are a lot easier to conceal. The PDP is similar to carrying to Glock 19
PDP has much better grip ergonomics for me. I carry all 3.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Apples to oranges.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Apples to oranges.
View Quote
Please elaborate.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a PPS M2 and loved it until I got a 365 XL. The modular Sig system is a game changer. The XL has an excellent trigger and is very accurate.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Please elaborate.
View Quote

Compact vs. micro compact.
Glock 19 vs. Glock 43/43x/43x MOS/48/48 MOS.

To me, it sounds like you are asking something like... "What should I get, a Ford Ranger or a Silverado 1500?"
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Have both, EDC is my P365X with Swampfox Sentinel.

PDPs right now are range toys.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

To me, it sounds like you are asking something like... "What should I get, a Ford Ranger or a Silverado 1500?"
View Quote

I agree. The PPQ is analogous to the P320 Compact.

I don’t get the P365 XL. I like my P365 with a 10 round flush fit, because it’s small enough to pocket carry. The XL cracks me up because everyone cries for a small gun, but then say it’s too small and want a bigger version. If I’m not sacrificing size in order to pocket carry, I’m carrying a true double stack. To each their own, I just don’t get it.

As far as the Walther vs SIG, although the PPQ has an amazing trigger, it always had more blast and recoil than other guns the same size. My theory is the stepped chamber, but I don’t know. Plus the factory sights aren’t night sights, and swapping them raised the POI noticeably. The P320 trigger is nice, if heavier than the PPQ.

Ultimately, it’s how you mesh with the pistol. I really wanted to love the PPQ, but I just don’t shoot it great.

Each one of the below were 15 rounds at 7 yards at a slow but steady pace. Like nothing more than 3 seconds between shots
PPQ

P320

VP9

The FNS surprised me enough that I bought a 509

Even the ones I don’t like I shoot better:
XDM

Glock

Steyr

Frankly I think I did better with the budget RAP

ETA: forgot the M&P (flier was all me)
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don’t get the P365 XL.
View Quote

When you carry a pistol in your waistband 16 hours a day having a thin handgun is a game changer.  For me, the P365 XL is all about the comfort and having a lot of ammo.  I use MagGuts magazine springs/basepads, so my 12 round magazines became 14 round magazines.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 2:27:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don’t get the P365 XL. I like my P365 with a 10 round flush fit, because it’s small enough to pocket carry. The XL cracks me up because everyone cries for a small gun, but then say it’s too small and want a bigger version. If I’m not sacrificing size in order to pocket carry, I’m carrying a true double stack. To each their own, I just don’t get it. ]
View Quote

The 365 slide and barrel is too short. With a high grip my thumb sits right next to the muzzle. For taller guys like myself the XL is a must. Shot a mag out of the 365 and didn’t realize my thumb was there…. Burned the tip of my thumb.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 2:36:01 AM EDT
[#10]
A double stack PPS to compete with the 365 et al types would be nice. I suggested one to Walther like 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please elaborate.

Thanks. I've only read about online (P365). I've not seen one in person. So it sounds like it's more like a PPS, but holds more rounds? The website says the mags are double stack.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I agree. The PPQ is analogous to the P320 Compact.

I don't get the P365 XL. I like my P365 with a 10 round flush fit, because it's small enough to pocket carry. The XL cracks me up because everyone cries for a small gun, but then say it's too small and want a bigger version. If I'm not sacrificing size in order to pocket carry, I'm carrying a true double stack. To each their own, I just don't get it.

As far as the Walther vs SIG, although the PPQ has an amazing trigger, it always had more blast and recoil than other guns the same size. My theory is the stepped chamber, but I don't know. Plus the factory sights aren't night sights, and swapping them raised the POI noticeably. The P320 trigger is nice, if heavier than the PPQ.

Ultimately, it's how you mesh with the pistol. I really wanted to love the PPQ, but I just don't shoot it great.
View Quote

Thanks for the extensive feedback.

Link Posted: 10/9/2021 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks. I've only read about online (P365). I've not seen one in person. So it sounds like it's more like a PPS, but holds more rounds? The website says the mags are double stack.
View Quote

No prob!

I'd also take a look at the Arex Delta M. It is about the size of a G19 but a good bit more thin. I think it makes an excellent CCW piece.

One more thing... I have most of the striker fired 9s and can report that the PDP is chunky to say the least. They didn't cut those slide serrations into the slide, they built them up over it.

For real everyday CCW, I'd consider:

P365x
43x MOS
Shield Plus (if you have no intent on ever getting an optic)
Arex Delta M Optics Ready

Link Posted: 10/9/2021 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a PPS and just sold a PPQ for a PDP. I'll see if my local range has a P365 to shoot.

I carried a 1911 for decades before converting over to the dark side. A slimmer frame that holds a bunch of rounds is attracting.

Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The 365 slide and barrel is too short. With a high grip my thumb sits right next to the muzzle. For taller guys like myself the XL is a must. Shot a mag out of the 365 and didn’t realize my thumb was there…. Burned the tip of my thumb.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I thought I had some monkey hands!  I’ve got big hands and I’m close, but not where I have to worry too much about muzzle blast. I did make sure before I bought, so I can see the possibility.

Quoted:

I’d call the P365 more of a stack and a half rather than double stack. If it was single stack, it’d probably hold 7-8, double stack it’d be 12ish. That’s how they’re doing thin with capacity.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#16]
The Walther P99 is awesome. The Shield Plus is also awesome. The Walther P99 compact isn't half bad either. Wish Walther would come out with a slimmer P99 compact like the Shield Plus type size. Love that double action capability of the P99 though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Rented the local range's P365 this morning and I wasn't to impressed. For that size form factor, I'll stick with my PPS. They didn't have an X/XL model so I wasn't able to compare/contrast something closer to my PDP Compact. Which is great, BTW.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#18]
The 365XL is a do it all gun. It will carry a nicer than a PPQ/PDP and your not really losing anything in the 365XL since with a mag guts kit they hold 14+1 or something along those lines flush fit. Plus its slimmer and lighter.

The PPQ (dont own a PDP) can be concealed fine just make sure you have a solid holster and belt set up. To me the PPQ is more along the lines of a duty gun that can be concealed easily like a G19.

My closing thoughts is that with guns that have come out and are coming out like the P365/P365XL, G43x/G48, Hellcat, Shield plus, ect. There's not a lot of reason to carry a bigger gun anymore since the smaller guns hold almost as many rounds, lighter, slimmer, ect.

On the same note i understand carrying the bigger guns since they feel better in hand, are more controllable, and hold more rounds generally.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I checked the voting results and surprise to see a majority of votes for Walther and in the Walther section of the forums,
Why am I not surprised?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I recently picked up my PDP Compact and just found out about the Sig P365X/XL line.

I have had a PPQ for a while and really liked, which is why I picked up the PDP.

So for Current or former owners of both, what is your preference & why?

P.S. I use MRDS sights.
View Quote

They're really difficult to compare because they're entirely different pistols in different size categories. I have a 4" PDP compact and a P365XL. I love both guns, but so far I rotate between a G19 and the 365XL for carry because I don't have my PDP setup how I want it (night sights, RDS, light). I would probably replace the G19 in my rotate with the PDP because I LOVE that pistol and shoot it very well (at least until I wind up having to carry a G19 at work). But the 365XL conceals much better. I shoot the PDP better.

So my preferences vary by intended use.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I ended up with a P365XL & WC grip module. Picked up a couple of 15 rounders as spares. The MagGuts did not work for me so I'm returning them.

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I ended up with a P365XL & WC grip module. Picked up a couple of 15 rounders as spares. The MagGuts did not work for me so I'm returning them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15341/20220122_144020-2250804.jpg
View Quote

That looks awesome. Once I get settled into my new job, one of those frames is likely on my short list of firearms upgrades.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top