Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2018 7:51:42 PM EDT
Has the PPQ pretty much replaced it? It seems like the M2 line is where they’re at and will probably stay.

Local store has a P99AS compact with two mags for $540 out the door. Price seems a little high plus it’s the paddle style release. It’s in excellent condition, though. Looks hardly fired at all.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Prefer my P99AS to either PPQ, and prefer my PPQ M1 to the M2.  Think Walther is actually going a bit backwards with the series, but I get some people prefer the old style mag button over the trigger guard paddles.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#2]
My P99AS (full size) is amazing. I also have a PPQ and a PPS M2. The P99AS compact can be had for $350 from a shop in FL online. Shooters something....
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My P99AS (full size) is amazing. I also have a PPQ and a PPS M2. The P99AS compact can be had for $350 from a shop in FL online. Shooters something....
View Quote
@Natef26

Is that a NIB price?

The one I looked at was a BG date code (2016) and had no exterior wear and only showed signs of being shot from the mag followed really. It was very clean.

$350 is almost $200 less though wow.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#4]
actually its $339 .  NIB.   shoot-straight.com
website says currently out of stock at the moment but they come back in stock constantly.  Others have said if you call the store directly alot of times they do have them in stock when website says otherwise.
They also list some on GunBroker with same company for $339 to $350. No affiliation with them just read good things.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I found that website. I couldn’t tell if it was a revenant of a once upon a time sale where they sold out and have never come back in stock or if it’s a legit website.

I’ll keep an eye on it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it’s hard to beat a p99 or PPQ

They are very underrated handguns
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#7]
P99 AS is the finest piece of Tupperware ever crafted by human hands.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Picked-up one of those P99c AS models, $339.  The price drew me to it, but after 100rds with the trigger, the frame mounted/flush decocker, and striker fired, I am very impressed with it.

IMO the compact model must have the finger extension on the mag, but it comes with one. The 2nd magazine inserts flush and obviously prints a little less for CCW.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]
In the rest of the world, the P99 is Walther's flagship model, and I contend it is here as well.  It's SA trigger is the equal of the PPQ, and it's DA is very smooth, and if you need to use it when things go bump in the night, you won't even notice it.

I have three of them, two current generation models, one full size and one compact, and an early first gen full size.

Mine have been utterly reliable, and easy to shoot fast and accurately.  They are my "go to" pistols.

$540 seems high for a used example, but Walther only imports them in batches a few times a year, at best, and currently the 9mm versions are in very short supply.

Shoot Straight is good to go, BTW.  Call them as they have several stores and may have some inventory that does not show on the website.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Lol.  Shoot Straight said they would not be getting the Walther P99c back in stock anytime soon and certainly not at the price it was offered at that one time.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#11]
$540 is a fair price, but in a world with stiff competition, they probably should work on that.

The problem with the P99 is it's what the designers carefully fabricated to be the perfect polymer 9mm police, combat, general purpose 9mm sidearm.  The part they missed is the American consumer doesn't always get it, and thinks the gun is weird at first.  A few items:

-Paddles.  A lot of people don't get and don't like the paddles.  Until they use them for a week or so, and realize these are just better.  That's what I did.  But most people don't do that, they see paddles and see different and odd, and move on.    People are wrong, paddles are better, even the HK engineers knew that too.  The reason Walther released their guns with paddles wasn't because it was cheaper (it's not), it's because it's better - and it's tough for an engineer to change the design to something worse, because the market is too dumb to figure it out; which is why they both took so long to finally give up and switch back to push button release.  I guarantee you that conference room got hot when they were ordered to do that.

-Trigger.  The P99 trigger is different.  It's really a tri-action trigger; in that it's DA, long SA, and short SA.  It's a well thought out design that once again, is better - but you have to use it a while to figure that out.  The Long SA you don't know is there, because as soon as you touch the trigger, it basically pops into short SA - it's the same trigger pull.  And the SA is really a 2 (three actually) stage trigger.  Where it has no tension, then a lighter tension. And then a stop right where it's going to break.  Once you get used to it, it's phenomenal design trigger, because you know exactly where it's going to break - allowing you to take very good shots.  But it does feel different at first.

-Double Action button to allow DA/SA.  That lost the war, and the Glock style single function trigger is the dominant trigger everyone wants.  I personally don't agree with that at all.  To me, DA/SA is the more practical trigger that I prefer for the gun in my pocket when I'm out in the wild.  But people buy guns based on the gun-range, not what works.  The DA/SA mode is optional, and an owner of a P99 can elect to never use it.  But he should - if I'm going to have a loaded gun in my coat pocket, it's going to be in DA.  Glock convincing people that their SA mode is super safe and you can use that in action shooting, but everyone else with DA option MUST drop into DA mode, is just silly, but puts action shooters at a disadvantage with the P99 in competition.  Meanwhile, in the real world I'll take a DA set P99 on my nightstand or in my pocket by far, over a loaded Glock.  And really wish any cop I'm around, did that too.  By the way, the DA/SA trigger also has restrike capability.  In a Glock, your option is to cycle the slide and that's it.  In P99, you pull the trigger again and it restrikes the round.  And Yes, I've had some bad lots of reloads (high primers), where that worked and let me keep shooting at nearly the same pace.

Personally, I consider the P99 the pinnacle of polymer pistol design.  It's an exceptionally comfortable handgun with phenomenal features optimized for police and general purpose civilian usage.  It's of an ideal size, capacity, and weight balance.  If it were up to me, every LEO would have a P99AS, or one of the numerous copies of it - because it's that good of a gun, it's copied by Magnum Research, Canick, Smith and Wesson for a while (bleh, that was a clusterfuckup that damaged the name of the P99 - but that's another thread), and maybe some others.

Walther engineers got it right. (very much so)
Walther fabrication plant got it right.
Walther business leaders blew it pretty hard; in advertising (James Bond was good, but that's the only thing they got right), in pricing, in strategic partners, you name it, they blew it.
The 1994 US assault weapon ban didn't help; 10 round limit on a pistol that was grossly overpriced in the 1990's didn't help.  And then the S&W debacle, and then the .40 cal disaster.  Lots of cops had poorly made S&W P99's in the mistake called the .40 cal round for which it wasn't designed - and had lots of problems.  Which ruined it for the fantastic German made P99AS in 9mm.  Meanwhile, 20 years slipped by, and lots of other new shiney guns keep coming out, and the P99 tends to be forget, it's window blown.

But what hasn't changed, is that it's still the best design 9mm out there.  What has changed is Walther has realized they way the Hell overpriced it, and have gotten a little more agressive on that.  They've also revamped their customer service, with 100% no-questions-asked warrantee work forever now (they used to be dicks).

Today, when someone asks about a 9mm, I tell them Walther P99AS without a moments hesitation.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#12]
^

This post gets it. Nobody really seems to notice the P99 until they shoot one and carry it, after that, they understand how far ahead of its time it was.

Ergos, a mag release that is ambi and can be used without shifting your gun off target, a true DA trigger with no tension on the striker for safer carry, long SA trigger to reduce chance of ND under stress, cheap Mec Gar 16 round mags, etc.

They need to take the PPQ M1 and modify it to use the P99's trigger, along with the decocker in the slide. That'd be the perfect P99.

The P99 is like a Glock, but much better. It could have been the one to unseat Glock as LE's go-to sidearm, but S&W fucked it.

The idiots whom whined about the PPQ M1's mag release need to get their head examined.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Saw a BH AS compact at Cabela's of all places for $399. Boy it was hard to walk away from that.

Maybe if I had sold my PPQ Navy, but no one wants it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Hardest part of having a P99?

Finding holsters I got lucky, I ordered a holster for mine from JMCK before their mold broke. There's so little demand for it that they're not bothering to restock it. Fortunately it fits both my P99 and P99c, so that's a plus. PPQ M1 holsters should work, but no one makes those. PPQ M2 holsters generally won't work because of the mag release setup.

Generic holsters are probably ok, but finding bespoke kydex is hard
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a bravo concealment for a PPQm2 that fits my P99 perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I have Theis holsters (g00gle is your friend) for my P99s.  Tommy has the molds for the newer gen pistols, and they are not badly priced.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Finding holsters I got lucky, I ordered a holster for mine from JMCK before their mold broke. There's so little demand for it that they're not bothering to restock it. Fortunately it fits both my P99 and P99c, so that's a plus. PPQ M1 holsters should work, but no one makes those. PPQ M2 holsters generally won't work because of the mag release setup.

View Quote
Galco makes nice leather for the P99, including their shoulder holsters.

Nightingale leather makes one of, if not the best light bearing shoulder holster.

Good luck with kydex, though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Vedder holsters makes them for both the compact and full-size.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:01:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I just bought a P99 blue label gun to go along with my PPS M2 and my Q5. I really like it. A kydex PPQM2 holster works so holsters aren’t really an issue.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:38:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Vedder holsters makes them for both the compact and full-size.
View Quote
Dara Holsters makes them as well.  I bought a very nice OWB from them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I want a p99 but I can’t find a duty holster that will work with a weapon light I’m not giving up the light to switch firearms.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I want a p99 but I can’t find a duty holster that will work with a weapon light I’m not giving up the light to switch firearms.
View Quote
Safariland should have a bunch of holsters that'll fit with a light on it?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I want a P99c AS.  Where is the best price and in stock?   I do not care of its used.

I had a SW version and sold it.  I want the Walther version for sure.  I like paddles.

PM me if you don’t want to post here.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#24]
No new ones are currently available, at least in 9mm, as far as I know.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No new ones are currently available, at least in 9mm, as far as I know.
View Quote
...?

I ordered a new one not long ago. P99AS is still being made and offered for sale. Walther makes them under contract for European LE.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I know they are still in production in Ulm, but, they only come over here a few times a year in batches, and it appears that the P99c (compact) has been dropped from the European catalogue, it no longer appears on Walther's German website, which could explain the blowout prices that Shoot Straight in Florida had on them earlier in the year.  The regular P99 AS will be around for a while as it is still very popular with police units in Europe and in some countries in Asia.

It's a pity about the C if it is dropped as I really like mine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#27]
I know this is an older thread, but, for you guys looking for IWB holsters for your PPQ....

https://www.concealmentexpress.com/collections/walther-iwb-kydex-holsters/walther-ppq-4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top