Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2022 7:07:56 AM EDT
I have a P99 that I do not shoot enough.  I always say I want to sell it but when I take it out of the closet I always remember why I like it.  I am wondering why Walther does not update the P99 and put a better rail on it as well as maybe offer a larger version and reintroduce the P99c.  They could easily start pushing out some of their competitors with a DA/SA gun as all of their guns are just DAO style guns.  I would love a P99 with better ergonomics and a grip that allows me to get more traction on it.  It seems like it would be a winner.  I carry a Glock but I would love to see the P99 become more of a popular gun and a serious contender for duty guns.  It truly outshines a lot of newer polymer pistols.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Best general purpose pistol out there - IMHO.

As to rail - the latest versions have a rail, so not sure what you are asking.

Though, personally I don't run a pistol with anything on a rail.  And think they look ugly and snaggy

Why in Earth do you carry a Glock over the P99?

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Amazing gun and my first pistol. Easily 10k through it. Not shooting it much these days but if I could get a threaded barrel for a reasonable price I would run the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:17:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BlitzPig] [#3]
I have three of them.  Most under rated polymer pistol there is.

Reliable, accurate, and the decocking DA/SA action is a very safe system.  When re-holstering if you hold down the decock button no matter what happens the pistol can not fire as the striker is blocked.

The DA trigger pull is very good and easily mastered, and the single action trigger is beyond reproach.  I feel it's better than the trigger on any PPQ I've ever shot.

If Walther would give the P99AS the PDP grip and texture, and keep the paddle mag release and magazine commonality with the P99, I would buy one in a heart beat.  However, that's the thing that keeps the P99 out of the public eye.  American shooters are incredibly resistant to anything different, even if it is demonstrably better.  I'm still kind of surprised that polymer framed pistols ever became popular at all really, after all JMB never made one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Best general purpose pistol out there - IMHO.

As to rail - the latest versions have a rail, so not sure what you are asking.

Though, personally I don't run a pistol with anything on a rail.  And think they look ugly and snaggy

Why in Earth do you carry a Glock over the P99?

View Quote
I agree about it being an excellent general purpose pistol.  

With regards to the rail I would have preferred a Picatinny rail.  I was thinking about buying a newer Walther model and swapping the slide out with my P99.  I was told it works.  I like a weaponlight on my gun and feel it is better for me to have one when I am out or at work.

My boss makes me carry a Glock 22 so when I am not at work I prefer carrying the same system.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BlitzPig:
I have three of them.  Most under rated polymer pistol there is.

Reliable, accurate, and the decocking DA/SA action is a very safe system.  When re-holstering if you hold down the decock button no matter what happens the pistol can not fire as the striker is blocked.

The DA trigger pull is very good and easily mastered, and the single action trigger is beyond reproach.  I feel it's better than the trigger on any PPQ I've ever shot.

If Walther would give the P99AS the PDP grip and texture, and keep the paddle mag release and magazine commonality with the P99, I would buy one in a heart beat.  However, that's the thing that keeps the P99 out of the public eye.  American shooters are incredibly resistant to anything different, even if it is demonstrably better.  I'm still kind of surprised that polymer framed pistols ever became popular at all really, after all JMB never made one.
View Quote
I agree with you about the idea of updating a P99AS.  It would be an amazing gun and I think it might get them some larger contracts.  I do not know of any US based law enforcement agencies that authorize Walther pistols or issue them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a p99 and while it felt amazing in the hand and was very accurate, the SA/DA trigger was atrocious.
Extremely long and heavy in DA and very short with no noticeable reset in SA.Easily the worst of any handgun I have owned.
Sold it and really haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jake03:
I had a p99 and while it felt amazing in the hand and was very accurate, the SA/DA trigger was atrocious.
Extremely long and heavy in DA and very short with no noticeable reset in SA.Easily the worst of any handgun I have owned.
Sold it and really haven't looked back.
View Quote

Sorry you don't like the trigger.  I do.  It has a stacking that once get used to, I like just fine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Cyberpunk1981:
I agree with you about the idea of updating a P99AS.  It would be an amazing gun and I think it might get them some larger contracts.  I do not know of any US based law enforcement agencies that authorize Walther pistols or issue them.
View Quote

A handful issued the SW99 but they were few and far between and I doubt any of them do it any longer.  Walther has never really been a major player in the US.  They make nice stuff, but their marketing is virtually non-existent and they often seem a step behind the competition.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#9]
OP drop some Talon Grips on it. Breathes new life into the handling and makes it feel like a more modern take on the design.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jake03:

Extremely long and heavy in DA and very short with no noticeable reset in SA.
View Quote

Thats strange mine is loud enough to hear thru hearing protection, and also pushes my finger forward until the click.

Link Posted: 10/29/2022 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#11]
The main reason I don't have one is that I thought they had been discontinued until my friend bought one last year.

It is on the short list; I have always carried a DA/SA, and although I usually don't care for striker pistols the P99 has a great trigger for what it is. They're well sized and the grip is comfortable too.

Plus, they have the whole late '90's Bond thing going for them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:

A handful issued the SW99 but they were few and far between and I doubt any of them do it any longer.  Walther has never really been a major player in the US.  They make nice stuff, but their marketing is virtually non-existent and they often seem a step behind the competition.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Originally Posted By Cyberpunk1981:

Yep - and it didn't go well.  Most were. 40 cal US made S&W, in that window when S&W was focused on branding everything from pocket knives to cheap baby diapers and not focused on guns, and just wasnt very good.  And those units had problems, and sullied the reputation of the gun.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 9:14:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: networkguru] [#13]
I read somewhere that the P99AS decocker doesnt actually decock the striker but that it just makes the trigger pull longer.  Is that true?

eta.  watching one video and the striker is visible at the rear of the slide and does appear to actually decock.

eta 2.  reading some other forum explanations stating that AS is not about the decocker but how long trigger pull is.    Normal rack slide and you have a long trigger pull, full striker cock.  This is supposed to be anti stress.  You can also run it in SA mode which gives it a shorter trigger pull.
AND you can also decock the striker.  
Does this sound right?

Found a nice poster explaining all the features etc.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/08/8b/a0/088ba041f17f1971cf3928f96347d622.gif
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By networkguru:
I read somewhere that the P99AS decocker doesnt actually decock the striker but that it just makes the trigger pull longer.  Is that true?

eta.  watching one video and the striker is visible at the rear of the slide and does appear to actually decock.
View Quote

?

Yes, it decocks it completely.  The striker in SA is held back by a sear and protected by an additional safety block that both move out of the way in the SA fire.  Push the button on top and that depresses down as an additional capture/block before it releases it back down to non-tensioned DA mode.  It visibly drops the striker tail back into the slide.

The trigger itself actually as 3 modes.
1) DA long heavy pull mode.  It only enters this mode when you depress the decocker button on top.  Meaning if you don't like the DA feature and then you can own a P99 and never ever fire it in DA.  Nice thing about DA is you can double-strike a round, if for whatever reason (usually high-primer on a reload), the first strike didn't light it.  That, and the old-school advantages of DA mode during carry, and if the gun takes a hit during handling and carry.    Not a lot of threads out there about a P99 firing when dropped.

2) SA normal short/light mode.  This mode is what the remaining 14 round in the magazine will fire, where the trigger stays back much farther now, and is lighter since just SA.  There are actually 3 stacking stages btw, to the P99 trigger: first very light stage to take up the slack, heavier stage, then break - not everyone likes it, but some people love it.  For me, it let's me stack the stages for a well controlled aimed shot on the break - or you can just blow through quickly on stress fire).  Then it resets back to this after ever subsequent shot, and the striker is visible in the rear, so you know what mode the gun is in.  (Note the P99 also has a loaded chamber indicator)

3) Long-pull SA mode.  This is the setting on an initially loaded gun right after you insert the mag and drop the slide.  It's SA mode, but the trigger rotates all the way back to DA mode distance.  The striker is visibly cocked.  There's a weak spring that takes very little to pull through, and then the trigger is back into standard SA mode.  It's for enhanced safety of a freshly loaded gun, without negatively affecting the trigger pull.  They do this because the shooter's finger obviously isn't already on the trigger, so it doesn't affect a shooters cadence or feel any; but less likely for an object or blow to inadvertently pull the trigger the whole distance; and the trigger does have the glock-style in-trigger trigger safety, as well.
(as a fun aside, if you're old enough, you may remember the Daewoo Tri-Action trigger; which is the same thing)

P99 is an exceptional pistol and is my favorite general purpose 9mm out there.  Only pistol I like better is a P7.  Both the P99 and P7 take a little bit of getting used to, to appreciate their nuances and just why the engineers made them with those nuances.  You'll quickly realize this is how a gun should be made and operated, once you spend any time with one.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 10:10:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BlitzPig] [#15]
The decocker on a P99AS absolutely decocks the striker, and puts the pistol into DA mode.

Another undocumented feature of the decock button is that if held down it totally blocks the firing pin from moving forward, so holding it down while reholstering adds another level of safety.

The pistol's operation is very easy to understand if you have one in your hands.  Writing about it makes it seem far more difficult than it actually is.

I've said it before, as have many others, the P99 is the most under rated 9mm pistol out there.  They are well made, reliable, and for me, the easiest modern polymer semi auto to shoot accurately and fast.  It certainly makes my other high cap nines feel clunky and and out dated.  The only semi auto I shoot better with is my Sig P210a which I would never carry in any case, and I own a lot of different hand guns.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#16]
How are the mags? Do they dump rounds like the PPS M2 did?
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Dump rounds?

Never heard of or experienced this happening.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BlitzPig:
Dump rounds?

Never heard of or experienced this happening.
View Quote

Yea that's a new one.  I've shot thousands through mine, dropped mags on partial reloads on the deck, etc - never really noticed a dump rounds issue.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 3:28:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChevChelios] [#19]
Maybe I had bad mags? It was around the time of the recall with the PPS M2.

ETA - that was my only walther as well, and I ended up selling it. The P99 has my interest.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Got my p99 40 cal in 1994,and still have it . Took my CCW class with it in 1994 ,and will never trade or sell it . Great pistol in every regard.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, it did get a lot of love...from Canik.  :)
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I carried one for a few years, before trading it off for a smaller CCW. Kinda kicking myself for it now, it was a great pistol save for one flaw that bugged the hell out of me.

POI was ~six inches left and above POA at ten yards after bottoming out sight adjustment and swapping the front post. It did this for me, and four other folks that shot it, even off a rest. If not for that, I’d have kept it. It concealed better than my other carry piece, a G19, due to the butte of the gun being smooth and round rather than shaped like a brick.

Even today, I’d say it’s a better service pistol than just about anything else out there. If it had the option for a thumb safety, it’d be hands down the best out there.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah the P99 is what I think all strikers should have been modeled after. Love the true DA/SA system. Much safer than a Glock. Can use the decocker button to take the gun apart. Much safer than pulling the trigger. Wish Walther would make more pistols in different sizes and calibers using the P99 system. Like Glock does with their one design. I'd buy the hell out of a small single stacked P99. Or a larger 10mm version.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By GunDisaster:
Yeah the P99 is what I think all strikers should have been modeled after. Love the true DA/SA system. Much safer than a Glock. Can use the decocker button to take the gun apart. Much safer than pulling the trigger. Wish Walther would make more pistols in different sizes and calibers using the P99 system. Like Glock does with their one design. I'd buy the hell out of a small single stacked P99. Or a larger 10mm version.
View Quote
I agree.  I love the P99 DA/SA system.  The ergonomics are great as well.  I would love to see more guns using it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Croak:
Well, it did get a lot of love...from Canik.  :)
View Quote

Ain't that the truth...

Forrest
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Great pistols.  Got the 9 and 40.  Needs a 10mm option.
Paddle release is way ahead of button
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I remember shooting one years ago, about the time I joined this site.  It was okay, nicer than a Glock, but I was shooting a P226 at the time and liked the alloy frame and trigger better.

I've never had the opportunity to shoot one again.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Sorry you don't like the trigger.  I do.  It has a stacking that once get used to, I like just fine.
View Quote

Good for you, but it also explains why it’s not popular
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Love mine!  I’ve actually been looking to add another one to the collection, but they are out of stock everywhere and it looks like the only available ones are the Final Edition.

So sad they are discontinuing them…
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top