Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2019 5:27:51 PM EDT
What say you?
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#1]
ehhh...if you want...

Never really took to mine but it works reliably... Probably acceptably accurate.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Good truck pistol
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I would, because,i like them.

Fyi. Cdnn has Walter creeds for 250 brand new.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a stout gun.  I had a p95 and it shot anything I fed it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I would. That's hi point prices.

I would totally buy an all orig. P-85 if I could find one. That was my first double stack 9mm back when they first were released.

Those things are clunky but stout and reliable.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#6]
They ain't pretty, but otherwise they're very decent guns. You won't find any better gun in that price range.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one and really like it. They are tanks and are a bit on the heavy/bulky side (obviously), but they just work. I replaced all of the springs in mine, as it was a police trade in and had some exterior wear but overall interior was in good shape. The biggest pain in the butt spring was the magazine release spring/bar. I don't know who designed this but they should have been shot. The magazine release itself is a 2 piece design that needs to be positioned just right to install/remove. It took a while to do it and I never want to do it again. Other than that, it runs like a top and recoil is nil.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Fo.  Link for the cheap bastards on the HiPoint forum?  
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#9]
For that price, I'd go for it. I have an early stainless P89DC, the decocker only version. It is kinda clunky and bulky, but is typically Ruger and is overbuilt and should still be shooting for your grandchildren. The DA on mine isn't the greatest, but is OK. The SA has a lot of takeup but is pretty good and trigger reset is decent.

On a side note, I always thought this was interesting. When designing and testing the P89 series, Ruger took a P89, threaded the inside of the barrel and threaded in a plug that sat just a little bit in front of a chambered bullet. They then fired the gun. IIRC, the only thing that happened was that the extractor blew out. They replaced the barrel and extractor and shot many thousands of rounds out of the gun afterwards. I found it impressive that there wasn't any more damage.

Another test was to cut a chunk of the slide away below the ejection port. Nothing left at all and you could see the frame rails. They then fired many thousands of rounds out of it and nothing changed dimensionally. With the barrel locking into the slide at the front of the ejection port, I would have thought that the slide would have slowly warped out of shape from the stress of firing, but according to Ruger's testing, nothing changed at all. Again, kinda impressive and I wonder of many of the popular guns of today could do the same.

One thing to keep in mind. Several years after coming out with the P89, Ruger changed where the mag release was in the frame. I can't remember if they moved it up or down a few thousandths of an inch. If you check for P89 magazines in the store at Ruger's website, they used to give a serial number cutoff for the older style of mags versus the newer style. I have the older style. However, if you check MecGar's website, they don't have a serial number range. I have used several newer MecGar mags in my older P89 and the work as well as the original Ruger mags. MecGar also makes flush fit 17rd mags, which is what I bought for mine. They also work very well and have been flawless for me. They bring mag capacity up to modern standards for a full sized gun and make the P89 competitive if you like DA/SA guns. I have so much faith in mine that, until I was able to get a different gun, I kept it as my nightstand gun for several years. I haven't had mine out to the range for several years, but I have confidence that if I opened up the safe and took it out, it would shoot just as well as it did when new.

Bub75
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Love the P89.  Have two.  I'd have three if a decent one popped up for me under $200.

Oddly, of the pistols I have, the P89s are my GF's choice when at the range.  Over a P320c, M&P fullsize, PPS-M2
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:07:02 AM EDT
[#11]
For 2 bills or less I'd pounce if you hadn't yet.  Someone else will snap it up if you wait too long.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:27:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Love the P89.  Have two.  I'd have three if a decent one popped up for me under $200.

Oddly, of the pistols I have, the P89s are my GF's choice when at the range.  Over a P320c, M&P fullsize, PPS-M2
View Quote
Heavier in the same caliber = less felt recoil.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#13]
No.

Hard to get parts.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 6:37:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Love the P89.  Have two.  I'd have three if a decent one popped up for me under $200.

It's my wife's favorite pistol...
Not for the recoil.
The slide is really easy to pull back
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Just sold one for $200.  I thought it was a good price for what it was.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just sold one for $200.  I thought it was a good price for what it was.
View Quote
stainless or blued?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

stainless or blued?
View Quote
Blued...kind of.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd fo.  As others have said, it's clunky but reliable.  I had one for a couple of years and it always went "bang" when I asked it to.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  It's my wife's favorite pistol...
Not for the recoil.
View Quote
Have her try a full-size 9x19mm 1911, and the S&W Shield EZ in .380 ACP.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  It's my wife's favorite pistol...
Not for the recoil.
but then she wouldnt have her Ruger to carry.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Looking at a p89 stainless with safety tomorrow.   3 mags n case $225. Two mags are 10rd and one is 15rd.  If I buy, I'll flip the 10rd mags on eBay and get some flush 17rd mec gar.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looking at a p89 stainless with safety tomorrow.   3 mags n case $225. Two mags are 10rd and one is 15rd.  If I buy, I'll flip the 10rd mags on eBay and get some flush 17rd mec gar.
View Quote
go for it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
go for it.
View Quote
50 min drive one way though
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#24]
got it.  $225 cash.  Case, Hogue grip, factory grips, 3 mags (2 10rd mags will be listed here in the EE and on eBay).  Outstanding condition except for the idiot scratch on the frame from the takedown pin.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2019 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#25]
good guns, will outlast you

I bet Ruger will still fix it for free if anything happens to it
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
got it.  $225 cash.  Case, Hogue grip, factory grips, 3 mags (2 10rd mags will be listed here in the EE and on eBay).  
View Quote
Sold the 2 mags for $43 on EBay and bought 2 new 17rd mec gar mags from CDNN for $37 shipped.  Score!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm on my second one. Haven't had a malfunction with either one.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I have done terrible things to mine, including letting a friend shoot gun show 50's com bloc vintage ammo. It detonated and sent the extractor bouncing around the booth at the range. Fit right back in, function checked, nothing else happened. Just didn't shoot that ammo again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Good buy, still looking for a decent
decocking model myself.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:54:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I found a cherry Stainless DC last year.   Was closer to 3 though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I would get a Stainless.  I never have liked Rugers blued Semi-autos.  The finish wears off or turns plum over time

I have the belief it is due to the parts being cast,  no proof but that’s what I think
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would get a Stainless.  I never have liked Rugers blued Semi-autos.  The finish wears off or turns plum over time

I have the belief it is due to the parts being cast,  no proof but that’s what I think
View Quote
Anodizing dye fading.  Same thing happens to forged Colt M4s.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I just bought a P90 on Gunbroker for $225. It hasn’t arrived yet but it looks in decent shape in the pictures. I had a couple of Ruger semiautomatics in the 90’s. They were extremely solid guns but didn’t offer the “bragging rights” of more expensive (and more polished) brands. I eventually got rid of them.

My first ever handgun was a KP91DC. I’d love to find one of those for sale somewhere, but they only made them for three years, last in 1994 (when I bought mine). They are thin in the wind now.

The newly purchased P90 is going to be the first in a series of P-series Rugers. I’d like to eventually find a nice KP90DC, a nice KP89DC, and the ever elusive KP91DC.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the "K"?
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the "K"?
View Quote
K means stainless slide
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am referring to the blued steel parts on Rugers in general. The aluminum normally retains its color
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Picked up the P90 yesterday...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#38]
With the weight of these guns, I'd imagine they handle 45 well.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on P93.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Absolutely.  For that price, fuck aesthetically pleasing looks.  It's a great functional pistol that won't fuck you over.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My first ever firearm pistol was a used P89 5-MKII.  I still have it.  It just runs.  It doesn't look pretty, and it's kind of a heavy bitch.  But it shoots where I point it, and eats ANY 9mm ammo I throw at it.
View Quote
My story...

Need to take out my stainless DC..
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Sold it today for a nice tidy profit.  After dry firing and messing with a few times, I just couldn't see myself liking it enough to justify having it in the collection at this time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 2:47:50 AM EDT
[#44]
the 45s really stand out for their accuracy.  Given AZ has a Ruger factory and people in AZ like guns, I have to pass on any attractively priced P series unless its a DC model, otherwise they would be stacked from floor to ceiling.  And for a gun that relies on the safety and/or decocker lever to be the gripping area to rack the slide, DC is a must.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:23:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Good truck pistol
View Quote
2nd that
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:57:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My first ever firearm was a used P85-MKII.  I still have it.  It just runs.  It doesn't look pretty, and it's kind of a heavy bitch.  But it shoots where I point it, and eats ANY 9mm ammo I throw at it.
View Quote
And if you have any big ol framing nails you need to drive home, you have a hell of a hammer to do it with too...  
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm a big fan of the P series and still carry mine and use them in local combat and IDPA matches sometimes. I shoot them as fast and accurately as any traditional DA semi auto.
To me, reliability and durability are my main concern with handguns and they just deliver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top