Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2020 6:40:47 AM EDT
Guy in my AO has a war time P38. Very nice condition. I've shot it.

Casual gun owner. Literally has 3 guns. HD shotgun, P38 & a 40cal carry gun.

Has ZERO 9mm ammo. And can't find any.  All my 9mm FMJ is Win Nato. All my JHP is +p. Except for 147gr Golden Saber. I think I have 300rds.  

Would a box of 9mm Nato kill this thing? I'd offer the GS but have no idea if it will feed HP or 147gr.  

He's not looking for range time with it. Just wants ammo for it.

Range trips are out.  We both have serious medical issues and have been isolated since the start of this crap.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#1]
byf, AC or cyq manufacture? cyq's have a reputation of cracking slides and really shouldn't be shot if the gun is in nice shape. It will handle the hotter ammo, but I wouldn't shoot it if it were mine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:20:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: psegnatelli] [#2]
Byf 43.  All matching. Small hairline crack in one of the grip panels.

Atleast he knows it's not optimal to shoot with +p.  But hates having a gun with no ammo.

I'll give him a box of Nato,  if he doesn't use it and can get standard fmj he'll give it back.

When I met him 20+ years ago it was loaded with WW2 ball.  Probably since who ever loaded it then.

Whats the proper bullet weight? 124gr?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I know the Luger was designed to shoot the 124gr bullets. I think the Nato should be fine and not hurt anything. With the price of nice P-38's now I would not shoot it for fear of it breaking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top