Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2022 2:00:12 PM EDT
I am considering purchasing a p365 of some type. Overall I like the gun, but I would like the option to have iron sights as well as a potential electronic sight. I don't trust electronics on pistol slides fully.

Is milling ahead of the red dot cutout on current models for a rear sight dovetail feasible? It looks like it will be tight but maybe possible.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a dot with the iron sights integrated maybe?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
the new comped model has exactly what you're talking about. Otherwise a dot like the 507k has a rear sight already built into the sight, so if the electronics go down you can still aim as normal.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the new comped model has exactly what you're talking about. Otherwise a dot like the 507k has a rear sight already built into the sight, so if the electronics go down you can still aim as normal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, but that's a big amount of money for a single feature I actually want. I assumed when I saw those rolling out that their earlier sight plate system they have been using on p365s was really just meant to be supplanted by the one on the spectre comp shortly after for more sales.

I've also got and used a lot of comped pistols and I'm pretty skeptical of the actual practical difference a comp would make on a 9mm of that size. Maybe with 9 major loads or something. It's a nice gun I'm sure and under consideration (as it does have the feature I want, and shipping / milling will probably run $150-200 for a dovetail cut anyway) but it feels like a gun specifically made so influencers can sell it for them, given all the YouTube reviews.

Quoted:
Get a dot with the iron sights integrated maybe?

It's certainly an option, but I would feel more comfortable overall with discrete sights. Not that a crew of assassin ninjas are going to rip the sight off my gun when they attack me, it just feels... wrong.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#4]
You will spend some $$ doing the milling, if if can even be done.
XL slide.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

There is a roll pin for the extractor up there too.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes milling in front of the rear sight is doable by the examples of such I've seen on sigtalk and likely no different from sig's new offers that have the same placement.  Depending on what you have done such as refinishing and/or adding a plate I recall these guys paying about $150+/- for the work.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have not seen a complete model for sale yet but I did recently just come across some "optic ready" slides on sigs site that are more standard than the comp or the zev (z365) offerings but do have the optic slot in front of a rear sight.  Check it out.

Optic Ready

I'm wondering if this is the new direction things are headed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have not seen a complete model for sale yet but I did recently just come across some "optic ready" slides on sigs site that are more standard than the comp or the zev (z365) offerings but do have the optic slot in front of a rear sight.  Check it out.

Optic Ready

I'm wondering if this is the new direction things are headed.
View Quote

That is pretty nice, and really what it should have been.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Optic Ready

View Quote

This reminds why I despise Sig. The fact that they're just now releasing the proper slide for the P365 series really chaps my ass. They should offer an exchange program.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This reminds why I despise Sig. The fact that they're just now releasing the proper slide for the P365 series really chaps my ass. They should offer an exchange program.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Optic Ready

for 90% of the optics that fit on P365s it doesn't matter, they have a rear sight notch. they're back up sights. they don't need tritium, they don't even need to be good. they're for the VERY rare moment when you find yourself in a gun fight and your optic battery has died. now you have 2 rear back up sights, because that's not confusing at all.

Also, remember we're looking at a self defense handgun, in this UNLIKELY Scenario where you're actually in a gunfight and your optic battery actually dies... the guy trying to kill you is probably close enough to take a shot just looking through the optics window, or by point shooting.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

for 90% of the optics that fit on P365s it doesn't matter, they have a rear sight notch. they're back up sights. they don't need tritium, they don't even need to be good. they're for the VERY rare moment when you find yourself in a gun fight and your optic battery has died. now you have 2 rear back up sights, because that's not confusing at all.

Also, remember we're looking at a self defense handgun, in this UNLIKELY Scenario where you're actually in a gunfight and your optic battery actually dies... the guy trying to kill you is probably close enough to take a shot just looking through the optics window, or by point shooting.
View Quote

That's very true, but it's more of the fact that they knowingly took a shortcut, and then noticed people complaining so they're going to knowingly short dick customers into buying more of their shit.

I'm gonna keep my XL slide as is, but this is no doubt a very ((((cohencidental))) move, if you ask me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's very true, but it's more of the fact that they knowingly took a shortcut, and then noticed people complaining so they're going to knowingly short dick customers into buying more of their shit.

I'm gonna keep my XL slide as is, but this is no doubt a very ((((cohencidental))) move, if you ask me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would argue the original solution wasn’t a short cut at all and the change is because people who don’t know any better complained on social media enough that they made the change. Either way either cut is fine and completely serviceable
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Lol, the original position really wasn't well thought but sort of neat in another as in being unique.  It fails sadly in the aftermarket sight department for those who want something different as the sig offerings are subpar, know of only one company producing something for the plate.  The new position opens up options including the ability to adjust the for proper poi/poa.  Was one of the reasons I decided to let my XL go to new home and have thought about milling my 365 but just haven't pulled the trigger on that modification.

Oh and it's a pipe dream that sig would ever offer a trade-in program for an updated slide, lol.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#13]
The new forward position that keeps the dovetail rear sight is superior for my use.  I can change a battery or switch between red dot and iron sights and then easily verify zero without live firing.  I like not having extra screws below the slide to hold the rear sight when a red dot is not in use.  

There is an X version with the forward mounting point and high sights on the sig site also.  I'm all for options and no matter what you prefer I think it would be best if they were all available on complete pistols vs only as replacements.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top