Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 2/18/2020 9:56:31 PM EDT
Folks who've had both - is there any reason why I should go with a P30 over a P30L? 3.8" for a barrel seems short to me, especially with a full length grip. I like the idea of a 30L a lot more than a 30, but I'm not married to it either and right now they're a little tough to find. If there's a quantifiable / measurable improvement or difference between the two performance wise..?

I like the idea of the 30L due to the added sight radius (probably better for longer range precision), the added weight should soften the recoil impulse though it may lengthen it just due to all the extra mass...and the extra velocity won't be a bad thing.

I can see the 30 being slightly handier due to less weight and shorter length, plus there's factory threaded barrels available all over. But I'm not sure the shorter sight radius is worth it.

I'm just not %100 that the 30L is the way to go
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#1]
It all depends on how it works for you. The longer barrel length for me is usually not an issue to conceal as is the grip/frame itself. I have carried a P226 for a while as a ccw pistol and had no issues carrying it compared to a P229. Now if manufacturers would make a standard size slide on a compact frame, we would be talking. I would think you would get the best of both worlds-compactness and velocity.

One thing that impresses me most about the P30 and VP9, is how HK nailed the best grip design/options out there. Other manufacturers should take note.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Owning both. I would advise that if you plan to use it in competition that the L will be what you want at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I don’t really compete, but I do enjoy running drills and such...

I wound up talking myself into a standard P30, and if it works out I might augment it with an L later.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 1:34:28 AM EDT
[#4]
The P30L simply looks better to me...MUCH better. The slide to frame ratio is perfect while the standard P30 looks like a compact slide on a full sized frame(but still sort of off). Accuracy wise I never really noticed any difference. I also didn’t notice the L being any more difficult to carry...the extra length wasn’t an issue.

It may seem stupid but I think most who say aesthetics aren’t important to them aren’t being honest with themselves
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:57:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I like how the L looks...it looks more "complete" whereas the P30 looks like someone got tired of drawing and left it 2/3rds done

But, the 30 was originally released that way with the L coming after so...I'll give the 30 a go and if I like it as much as I hope I do, I'll just pick up an L later.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:35:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I like how the L looks...it looks more "complete" whereas the P30 looks like someone got tired of drawing and left it 2/3rds done

But, the 30 was originally released that way with the L coming after so...I'll give the 30 a go and if I like it as much as I hope I do, I'll just pick up an L later.
View Quote
They are both excellent choices for sure. They are one of, if not my all time favorite hammer fired 9mm pistols. They’re basically the same guts and durability of the highly regarded USP with the most ergonomically perfect grip available(Co-designed by German grip manufacturer Nill).

Nill grips
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#7]
That's why I'm getting it. I love my USPs, but the lack of any kind of decent grip texture, plus the fact that they're basically rectangles, doesn't work for me. I can shoot them well enough but I need to work so much harder at it and grip them to death, otherwise even with that coarse checkering they just slide and rotate in my hands. The P30 looks like it'll solve that particular issue.

I got mine in, replaced the firing pin block spring with a lighter one and threw an LW 11lb mainspring in it. I'm hoping to get it to the range today and run a few hundred rounds through it, and if it comes through that ok I'll see about converting it to LEM/4.1 and mayyybe throw in a heavy TRS to see what the whole TGS setup is about. My USP9 is LEM so I'm already pretty familiar with it.

About the only things I need to buy for it are a threaded barrel and depending on how things shake out, I might need to buy the shorter slide stop levers (I wear XL Gloves...on the P2k I had the factory levers were too large and even on the USP my grip can lock the slide back prematurely)
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#8]
The L feels better shooting and holding for myself. I seldonly carry my p30 as the frame is pretty large but I think at the end of the day if barrel length isnt and issue you will like the L much more

To add the p30l was my first hk, bought the p30 shortly after (both lem). I love the ergos but had I done it again I probably would've went usp9 compact. It actually fits me better, still on my list to buy
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Got the P30 to the range and I'm super happy I did, and super annoyed I didn't buy one of these years ago. I'm still undecided between the large backstrap and medium one, but either way large side panels on both sides do the trick. I shot it better than I ever shot any of my USPs without putting in a serious amount of effort into shooting the USP. I did notice that when I had the large backstrap in, any tendency to dip the barrel in DA was much smaller than it was with the medium; I know it's a training/practice issue but the large backstrap seems to (partially) fix a software issue with hardware, which is always nice.

I just converted it to 4.1 LEM with a heavy trigger return spring and I really like it, much more than I did on the P2k I first tried it on. Hopefully next week I'll be able to get it to the range again and give it another shot. Worst case I convert it back to V3 but I'm thinking I'm gonna keep it LEM, especially if range results mirror my dry fire results.

Hopefully P30Ls start coming in around the time I've saved up the money to buy one
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Got the P30 to the range and I'm super happy I did, and super annoyed I didn't buy one of these years ago. I'm still undecided between the large backstrap and medium one, but either way large side panels on both sides do the trick. I shot it better than I ever shot any of my USPs without putting in a serious amount of effort into shooting the USP. I did notice that when I had the large backstrap in, any tendency to dip the barrel in DA was much smaller than it was with the medium; I know it's a training/practice issue but the large backstrap seems to (partially) fix a software issue with hardware, which is always nice.

I just converted it to 4.1 LEM with a heavy trigger return spring and I really like it, much more than I did on the P2k I first tried it on. Hopefully next week I'll be able to get it to the range again and give it another shot. Worst case I convert it back to V3 but I'm thinking I'm gonna keep it LEM, especially if range results mirror my dry fire results.

Hopefully P30Ls start coming in around the time I've saved up the money to buy one
View Quote
That's great to hear. If you dog the p30, you most certainly will enjoy the p30l!
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah man - I just ordered a set of Heinie's for it as well. JMCK is already working on an AIWB holster for it, and I might give a call out to Milt Sparks and see if they can make me a holster for a P30L, since Top Gun Supply only stocks one for the P30. I'm ordering holsters for a P30L because it'll work with a P30 w/threaded barrel or comp as well as the 30L. PMM makes a pretty trick comp for the P30, which I may or may not pick up one day...even if I don't, I do plan on throwing a can on it on occasion, so a threaded barrel will be on it either way.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the P30, P30L, and the a P30SK.  The P30L suppresses extremely well and is quieter than my USP Tactical.  It gets my vote.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh, one's on my list...even if I have to sell a USP to get one, I'll get one I'm super smitten with the P30, and I really want the L now. I'm half sad I didn't wait until the L got in stock, but pretty glad I got the smaller one as well, as it IS a pretty good carry sized gun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I just got a sign from God that this gun was made for me...I ordered a set of Heinie Ledges from Amazon (from Heinie's web presence there of course)...

The rear sight, I had heard they were EZLocks now, so when that one just slid in the dovetail, fine, I was half expecting that.

But the front one slid in like this was the mold gun for it; a slight tap, a nudge, and it was perfectly centered. Didn't need to use my sight pusher at all for either side and I've never had a set of Heinies drop in on any gun I've ever had them on, including a handful of other HKs. The 4 or so other sets I've installed, all needed my sight pusher and a whole lot of elbow grease and fitting.

Hopefully tomorrow I can zero it and lock it all down. So stoked that this didn't turn into a file/fit/file/fit/repeat for an hour project.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 2:13:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Have you considered adding the GrayGuns short reset trigger kit?
GrayGun Short Reset System

It made a huge improvement IMO, the more I shoot it, the more I realize it. Prior to install the long reset was my one complaint about the P30. The kit cuts the reset by about 40-50% and as a result the pull distance from the reset point to firing point is much shorter. It is a great kit IMO.

It might be worth looking into...if you did a variant swap already, (V3 to LEM) the install should be a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Have you considered adding the GrayGuns short reset trigger kit?
GrayGun Short Reset System

It made a huge improvement IMO, the more I shoot it, the more I realize it. Prior to install the long reset was my one complaint about the P30. The kit cuts the reset by about 40-50% and as a result the pull distance from the reset point to firing point is much shorter. It is a great kit IMO.

It might be worth looking into...if you did a variant swap already, (V3 to LEM) the install should be a piece of cake.
View Quote
If that kit had only been available, back when I had my P30L with threaded barrel..... Like a fool, I parted ways with mine as I couldn't stand how long the trigger reset was.

P30L was an amazing pistol to shoot suppressed.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I went P30L.
Twice.
I still haven’t felt the need to buy a regular P30.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Seems to be no reason to get a gun with a long grip and a short nose. You've got a full sized grip with 15/17 round mags, might as well get a full sized barrel too.

I guess the exception would be if you plan on carrying appendix. Otherwise I don't much see the appeal.

Plus, not that it matters, but the L model simply looks better/more proportionally 'correct'
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:52:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I got both. P30 for carry, L is my suppressor host.

Best ergo pistol Ive ever owned with P226 legion coming up on its heels. The only downside is the long reset and the l/s thumb safety gets in the way of my grip. Been thinking of filing that thing down and making it decocker only.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:27:05 AM EDT
[#20]
When the p30 first came out there was only a factory threaded barrel for the 30l, so I have a p30l threaded barrel on my p30, all is good
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:27:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got both. P30 for carry, L is my suppressor host.

Best ergo pistol Ive ever owned with P226 legion coming up on its heels. The only downside is the long reset and the l/s thumb safety gets in the way of my grip. Been thinking of filing that thing down and making it decocker only.
View Quote

If you go to hkpro you can find detailed disassembly directions...you can remove the levers and plug up the hole in the frame with some jbweld or something if you want.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you go to hkpro you can find detailed disassembly directions...you can remove the levers and plug up the hole in the frame with some jbweld or something if you want.
View Quote

Really? Ive read the safety axle is unique to the hammer/sear mechanism on the S model and cant be replaced. I'll do a search and check it out though.

ETA: did a bunch of searching... apparently due to safety axle lengths, differences between the frames and other little issues, whatever you get is what you're stuck with. You can install a LEM on an S model but you have to keep the safety levers. Other than plugging the detent hole with something and grinding down the axle thats about it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I was handling both when I went with the P30L.  I dont know why, but something about it was just more appealing to me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Really? Ive read the safety axle is unique to the hammer/sear mechanism on the S model and cant be replaced. I'll do a search and check it out though.

ETA: did a bunch of searching... apparently due to safety axle lengths, differences between the frames and other little issues, whatever you get is what you're stuck with. You can install a LEM on an S model but you have to keep the safety levers. Other than plugging the detent hole with something and grinding down the axle thats about it.
View Quote

Doh, sorry, I just figured it was like the USP Series where you could replace the axle and that was that..damn, that sucks All the more reason I don't want an S model
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:56:09 AM EDT
[#25]
My P30SK is my favorite 9mm handgun. I'm a hammer fire guy so I lean H&K normally.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#26]
The P30 is a great pistol, but the trigger leaves much to be desired. That being said, the grip is probably the most enjoyable of any polymer framed pistol I have shot. I have had the L as well as a couple of the regular variety and I still own a P30 (in .40 of all things) which I really enjoy. One little thing I did that made it just a touch more pleasant was to put in the large palm swell panel where my right hand palm is and the skinny one on the support hand side (Asymmetric).

As for which one, go by application as well as price. The .40 cal P30 I have now was maybe a couple of years old and was US police surplus that cost 400 or so with night sights and in very very good condition. Magazines are also much less expensive now than when the VP9 first came out... buy it cheap and stack it deep.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top