Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 1/13/2021 2:41:19 PM EDT
As owners of these pistols know, the recoil assembly is just that, an assembly that isn’t easily dismantled.

It appears that you would need to compress the end of the guide rod which I imagine would bend it out of shape, before removing the washer and spring. Reassembly seems like it would require a couple sets of hands, one compressing the recoil spring and washer while the other bends the end of the rod outwards to its original width.

I’ve also read someone say you can remove the spring in a manner similar to removing a key from a key ring by getting the end of the spring over the retaining washer and then unscrewing it.

Of course you can also just buy a new assembly at $70-$100 depending on where you get it and if you can find it in stock(most often OOS)

Has anyone replaced the spring on either of these pistols? Any tricks?

Assembly-
Attachment Attached File

Guide rod to show area that would need to be compressed and re expanded after spring removal-
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
In for info, any particular reason you're looking to remove the spring?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In for info, any particular reason you're looking to remove the spring?
View Quote

Mainly preventative maintenance. I can’t seem to find a definitive replacement schedule on the spring but 20K seems to be a figure mentioned often based on the Todd Green torture test. While I’m not there yet, almost every round fired has been 9mm NATO. I’m guessing it’s increased pressure and speed would wear out the spring a little faster.

The slide also just feels noticeably easier to pull back than I remember. I confirmed this by checking out a brand new one in a store. I also had a couple failures to extract recently. While that isn’t a huge deal, it’s the first malfunctions the pistol has ever had. After checking everything out, my best guess for the cause was that increased slide velocity due to a weakened spring may be to blame. I figured I’d replace the spring so I could eliminate that as a possibility.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Crazy that no one is replacing the recoil springs on these pistols that have been out for 8 years now ??
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I replaced the spring on a USPc .40 that had 6k through it.  I put the assembly in a padded vise vertically.  I moved the spring down so I could get small vise grips onto the rod - between the spring and the washer.  I used small pieces of wooden cotton swabs, taped to the vise grips, that allowed me to get force as high as possible where the split is on the guide rod.   I installed the new spring in reverse.  
The washer goes on and off one side at a time.  That seemed the easiest.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I replaced the spring on a USPc .40 that had 6k through it.  I put the assembly in a padded vise vertically.  I moved the spring down so I could get small vise grips onto the rod - between the spring and the washer.  I used small pieces of wooden cotton swabs, taped to the vise grips, that allowed me to get force as high as possible where the split is on the guide rod.   I installed the new spring in reverse.  
The washer goes on and off one side at a time.  That seemed the easiest.
View Quote

Thank you for the tip! Did you have to do anything to re-expand the split portion or does it spring back when you release the pressure on it?

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#6]
It went right back, lots of pressure.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:57:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Crazy that no one is replacing the recoil springs on these pistols that have been out for 8 years now ??
View Quote

8 years only??   You got a young one there. I got my P30 in 2009, so that makes it goin on 12 years old..lol

And no sadly I haven't replaced the spring yet. It's probably got less than 2k through it though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:57:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

8 years only??   You got a young one there. I got my P30 in 2009, so that makes it goin on 12 years old..lol

And no sadly I haven't replaced the spring yet. It's probably got less than 2k through it though.
View Quote

2021-2006(year introduced)=8 years

You’re right, I don’t  know where 8 years came from , It’s roughly 15 years old at this point.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm. Wondering if I need to replace my P30Ls spring. Probably 10 years old at this point. Maybe 2,000rds.
Looking for a threaded barrel for it and wondering if the existing spring will have enough oomph to cycle the slide with a heavy can on it. I had a lighter “recoil reducer” spring/guide-rod setup on one of my VP9s and had to go back to the stock spring as it couldn’t even fight gravity with the can on, if it was pointing vertical. Wouldn’t go into battery after a slight press-check.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hmmm. Wondering if I need to replace my P30Ls spring. Probably 10 years old at this point. Maybe 2,000rds.
Looking for a threaded barrel for it and wondering if the existing spring will have enough oomph to cycle the slide with a heavy can on it. I had a lighter “recoil reducer” spring/guide-rod setup on one of my VP9s and had to go back to the stock spring as it couldn’t even fight gravity with the can on, if it was pointing vertical. Wouldn’t go into battery after a slight press-check.
View Quote

With that round count? Nope. Keep shooting it until you get feeding issues.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Compress the spring, hold it compressed, and cut the retainer with a dremel? Looks like a new retainer is about $5. Probably easier to press a new retainer down onto the recoil guide rod than remove one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#12]
take a small zip tie and slip it under the edge of the spring, lift it up and over the retainer and screw it off.
that's how I did my USP tactical. Can't imagine why it wouldn't work on this spring........
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
take a small zip tie and slip it under the edge of the spring, lift it up and over the retainer and screw it off.
that's how I did my USP tactical. Can't imagine why it wouldn't work on this spring........
View Quote

Good tip! I’m going to give this a try.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I just went through this myself and thought I’d provide a tip. Take a 5/16 drill bit to a piece of 1 inch thick piece of wood and push the guide rod through the 5/16 hole in the board and add a weight on top of the board to keep the recoil spring compressed. Now you have two free hands to remove the snap ring.  You will probably need a new snap ring.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just went through this myself and thought I’d provide a tip. Take a 5/16 drill bit to a piece of 1 inch thick piece of wood and push the guide rod through the 5/16 hole in the board and add a weight on top of the board to keep the recoil spring compressed. Now you have two free hands to remove the snap ring.  You will probably need a new snap ring.
View Quote

Thank you for the tip! I still haven’t gotten around to doing this yet...I guess I’ll order a new ring ASAP.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thank you for the tip! I still haven’t gotten around to doing this yet...I guess I’ll order a new ring ASAP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your guide Rod looks a little different than the one I replaced on a USP.  By looking at it you might be able to salvage the snap ring if there is one by maybe compressing the top part.  

I did find it easiest to push the new snap ring over top the guide rod using a couple of brass punches.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine is an early one too, I have no idea of the round count as I bought it second hand from Larry V.  I did send it to HK and they replaced the springs for me, sent it back to me no charge...
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine is past due. Let me know how it goes, OP.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mine is past due. Let me know how it goes, OP.
View Quote

FWIW - I just did this a couple days ago. Was FINALLY able to find a 9mm P30L spring in stock. Took 5 mins. Really not that hard... just wear a glove on your 'spring-compression-hand.' Yes, you will have to pinch the end of the guide rod a bit with some pliers (lightly), pop the washer off, and release the spring. Install the new one, washer, and use a flat head screwdriver to slowly expand the end. If you expand it too much the washer won't go 'home' and the system won't function as it should (ask me know I know). So, just compress the end again very lightly with the pliers until the washer pops back into the groove.

I replaced the washer and bushing while I was at it. Necessary? Probably not, but while it was apart figured I'd invest the extra $13 for her. 24,300 rounds through, she's earned it.

Done and done.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top