Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2020 2:50:09 PM EDT
So I did a quick search but didn’t turn up much...

I just ran my first class with my P220. It ran perfectly, with two instances of riding the slide stop... it just seems my grip does not want to play nice with the slide stop.

I had to mitigate that with actively wrapping my right hand thumb around the meat of my left hand thumb, but that just isn’t ideal, or conducive to getting a good grip out of the holster or consistency.

Does anyone have a similar issue? Did new grips mitigate that. Was looking at the G10, E2, or Hogue fingerless...
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Not the answer you want to hear, but when our officers do this it's treated as a training issue and we work with them on readjusting their grip.
Anecdotally, it seems to me that we have fewer instances of it happening since we transitioned to the E2 grips on our 226's.
Maybe rent a 226/220 with E2 grips and see if you have the same issue?

I've got large hands and the E2 grips are my favorite by far.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe see if Sig will sell you the lower profile Legion slide stop. I've considered doing that with mine but I've managed to mostly fix my grip.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#4]
This is how Kyle Defoor demonstrated shooting with a Classic series. I switched to using this grip years ago. It works with every pistol.

Link Posted: 11/23/2020 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Got away from a P229 for this reason. Reworking muscle memory on my grip for one gun wasn’t worth it when I shoot other pistols so well. Tried a double stack P227?

Running the P320 I haven’t had this issue, think they still make them in 45.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I keep my thumb tucked in.  This has never been an issue with decades of P220 use for me.

OP is damaged.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy a p224 slide stop. Same slide stop as used on the legion. It’s low profile, and can be found a few places. Midwest gun works or eBay, midway USA etc. I have them on my p229s. P224 fits 226/229
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the same problem OP. Large hands do that and years of riding a 1911 thumb safety don’t help!

When I took classes with my P226 I either adjusted my grip to avoid riding the slide stop or just paid real attention to the gun while shooting strings.

The advantage of the Sig location for slide stops is you can get wicked fast on reloads - it’s right there, you get the mag in and don’t even have to go over the top, you just mash the slide stop/release and you’re back on target.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 6:45:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is how Kyle Defoor demonstrated shooting with a Classic series. I switched to using this grip years ago. It works with every pistol.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1SUWtQ-SXvk/SjfypJ3GuTI/AAAAAAAAACE/gHHfmxvJIO0/s320/sig+pics+002.jpg
View Quote

This is how.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top