Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 1/29/2020 12:25:59 AM EDT
Do the backstraps make that big of a difference? For reference: I have a P2000 (LEM) and love the gun, love the way it fits / feels / etc.....I think the LEM is the perfect CCW trigger.  I had the medium backstrap in it and shoot low consistently. This is disheartening to say the least. I HATE Glocks, but I shoot them very well. This evening I swapped the backstrap to the large one hoping for better results. It seems the large backstrap matched the Glock 19 grip angle very close...... Also, I know the handgun chart  and I'm not flinching. This is the only gun I have with this problem. I know I can hold over / train through it, but I'm hoping this works. Current groups are softball sized and 4-6" low.  
If it doesn't it may go in the EE.

Please share your experiences, thanks all.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a P2000 LEM and I do not have an issue with it shooting low but between it and a P30, I have been rocking the LEM since 2010.

Does it have the factory sights?

Are you holding at 6:00?  HK's are setup to aim like #3
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a P2000 LEM and I do not have an issue with it shooting low but between it and a P30, I have been rocking the LEM since 2010.

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sightimages.jpg
View Quote
It does have factory sights, and I do hold like image 3.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:57:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I ended up swapping all my HK front sights for shorter ones to bring point of aim up.  Even covering the target I found my P2000 and others to impact too low for me.  When I swapped, Brownells of all places sold Mepro front sights in multiple heights.  You can also call HK customer service.   I'm also an LEM fan. It takes practice to master.  Focus on a steady press through the last stage.   It's easy to stage at the break and try snap the trigger.  Also try too much finger.  I'm much more consistent and accurate with the trigger almost at the first joint of my trigger finger.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I ended up swapping all my HK front sights for shorter ones to bring point of aim up.  Even covering the target I found my P2000 and others to impact too low for me.  When I swapped, Brownells of all places sold Mepro front sights in multiple heights.  You can also call HK customer service.   I'm also an LEM fan. It takes practice to master.  Focus on a steady press through the last stage.   It's easy to stage at the break and try snap the trigger.  Also try too much finger.  I'm much more consistent and accurate with the trigger almost at the first joint of my trigger finger.
View Quote
Thanks! I have been doing all the above except swapping the front sight. I am headed to the range today after changing backstraps, hopefully the swap helps.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
@cjjohn
Go to Brownells (may praise be upon them) and do a search for "P2000 front".  That will bring up front sights in various heights.  If you remove your current sight, the height should be stamped on the bottom.  Get a shorter front sight.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@cjjohn
Go to Brownells (may praise be upon them) and do a search for "P2000 front".  That will bring up front sights in various heights.  If you remove your current sight, the height should be stamped on the bottom.  Get a shorter front sight.
View Quote
Thanks! researching that now, as well as how they determine front sight height. For example: is it "zeroed" for 147 gr at 10 yds, 20 yds, etc...
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 4:44:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sightimages.jpg
View Quote
HKs with Trijicon's new high-vis aftermarkets are supposedly set to aim like #3.

Somewhere I have some HK training manual material (not the owner's manual) that says use the top of the blade - like #2.  Problem being that as you move back, the dot arrangement covers more of the target and makes your group open up as you can't necessarily see the target.

Also:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Sight_picture_for_HK____Top_of_post_or_cover_with_dot_/29-177453/
Attachment Attached File

While that says it's for VP, it's functionally the same for the P2000.

There's some discussion of "geometry of parallel lines" in that thread, but really I haven't seen much difference in shooting blade or dot.  Blade is easier in daytime, dot is obviously easier in low light conditions.

I've also shot them before and after changing sights from non-luminous cheapo HK dots to meprolights to Trijicons and haven't really found any functional difference.

Backstraps are kind of a matter of what works and gives you best grip on the pistol, what puts your trigger finger where you want it, what works best one handed, what works when you've got a full grip both hands, and what lets you get to the mag release and whether that's with thumb or index or middle finger.

I've seen people use grips corresponding to their hand size or just the opposite, it just depends how their individual hands are built.

ETA: Also, before dropping a bunch of cash on sights, if you haven't, you might want to retest yourself first by running some ball & dummy drills.  Set up a few mags with live rounds first and last, and mix in some snap caps in the middle of the mag, then shoot slow fire and observe your own follow through and trigger control.  It's really easy with the LEM's long slack take-up and then smooth but still respectable break to end up clenching down and driving your rounds somewhere you don't mean to.  It's a great trigger (I've heard it described as "the best street trigger" ever), but it's also sometimes a PITA when it comes to precision.  You'll be minute-of-bad-guy out to 50 or 100 yards, but trying to shoot the wings off a fly at 10 can result in finding that the gun isn't really conducive to beautiful precision.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a P2000, and owned one years ago as well. Never had an issue with it shooting low. But, I did have a HK USP compact in 9mm a decade ago. I had an issue with THAT gun shooting low. After 3 trips, I swore the sights were off. So, I benched the gun on sandbags and tried it. Gun was fine. It was me. Somehow, I was tilting the gun down as I pulled the trigger. It took me about 700 rounds to stop doing that.

I had to push up on the gun, under the trigger guard, to keep it from happening. It is weird that the P2000 never did this to me. Nor did a USPc in 45. It was only the 9mm one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies! I ran a box of 147 gr and it's much closer. So, I'll just keep using heavier rounds at this point. I did have to go with one of the larger back straps, which helped as well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

HKs with Trijicon's new high-vis aftermarkets are supposedly set to aim like #3.

Somewhere I have some HK training manual material (not the owner's manual) that says use the top of the blade - like #2.  Problem being that as you move back, the dot arrangement covers more of the target and makes your group open up as you can't necessarily see the target.

Also:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Sight_picture_for_HK____Top_of_post_or_cover_with_dot_/29-177453/
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/394169/image-265204.JPG

While that says it's for VP, it's functionally the same for the P2000.

There's some discussion of "geometry of parallel lines" in that thread, but really I haven't seen much difference in shooting blade or dot.  Blade is easier in daytime, dot is obviously easier in low light conditions.

I've also shot them before and after changing sights from non-luminous cheapo HK dots to meprolights to Trijicons and haven't really found any functional difference.

Backstraps are kind of a matter of what works and gives you best grip on the pistol, what puts your trigger finger where you want it, what works best one handed, what works when you've got a full grip both hands, and what lets you get to the mag release and whether that's with thumb or index or middle finger.

I've seen people use grips corresponding to their hand size or just the opposite, it just depends how their individual hands are built.

ETA: Also, before dropping a bunch of cash on sights, if you haven't, you might want to retest yourself first by running some ball & dummy drills.  Set up a few mags with live rounds first and last, and mix in some snap caps in the middle of the mag, then shoot slow fire and observe your own follow through and trigger control.  It's really easy with the LEM's long slack take-up and then smooth but still respectable break to end up clenching down and driving your rounds somewhere you don't mean to.  It's a great trigger (I've heard it described as "the best street trigger" ever), but it's also sometimes a PITA when it comes to precision.  You'll be minute-of-bad-guy out to 50 or 100 yards, but trying to shoot the wings off a fly at 10 can result in finding that the gun isn't really conducive to beautiful precision.
View Quote
You make some great points. Overall I think the P2K has forced me to rethink things a little. Before I wold think about hitting those wings on the fly, and now I do think more "minute of bad guy". I think I just need to keep running heavy rounds, and get a lot more trigger time. I also do the drills with snap caps, or empties. It's very telling.....
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You make some great points. Overall I think the P2K has forced me to rethink things a little. Before I wold think about hitting those wings on the fly, and now I do think more "minute of bad guy". I think I just need to keep running heavy rounds, and get a lot more trigger time. I also do the drills with snap caps, or empties. It's very telling.....
View Quote

Ultimately, it's a duty pistol, and when looked at as what it is, it has a lot of advantages.

Accuracy, reliability, and ability to function in adversity (even with breakage of its most common components like strut & trigger return spring), it does really well.

It also adds safety functionality of having an exposed trigger, which on reholstering especially under stress allows you to put your thumb on the hammer and mitigate any risk of ND - so when your cover shirt gets snagged and you feel the hammer come back, you know to fix yourself.

The long slack trigger gives a mechanical safety against startled NDs in that when you contact the trigger, you have all that travel and really have to mean to pull it - you don't get scared or startled and crank back on that trigger if your finger is on the trigger unconciously.

With regards to aiming points, I've always used the top of the blade, unless shooting in dim conditions.  There's functionally no difference, and you're only obscuring half your target with the blade, rather than more than half to potentially all of it by using the dot - depending on the size of your target.

If you don't do this already, you could also try recording yourself while you shoot and then looking at what your form looks like.  There may be something you do unconciously that you're not even aware of, maybe between different pistols even.

Or it's still possible there's a mechanical issue with sight height, but I tend to look at shooter first.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ultimately, it's a duty pistol, and when looked at as what it is, it has a lot of advantages.

Accuracy, reliability, and ability to function in adversity (even with breakage of its most common components like strut & trigger return spring), it does really well.

It also adds safety functionality of having an exposed trigger, which on reholstering especially under stress allows you to put your thumb on the hammer and mitigate any risk of ND - so when your cover shirt gets snagged and you feel the hammer come back, you know to fix yourself.

The long slack trigger gives a mechanical safety against startled NDs in that when you contact the trigger, you have all that travel and really have to mean to pull it - you don't get scared or startled and crank back on that trigger if your finger is on the trigger unconciously.

With regards to aiming points, I've always used the top of the blade, unless shooting in dim conditions.  There's functionally no difference, and you're only obscuring half your target with the blade, rather than more than half to potentially all of it by using the dot - depending on the size of your target.

If you don't do this already, you could also try recording yourself while you shoot and then looking at what your form looks like.  There may be something you do unconciously that you're not even aware of, maybe between different pistols even.

Or it's still possible there's a mechanical issue with sight height, but I tend to look at shooter first.
View Quote

All good points. And one of the reasons I really really like the P2K for carry. I've discovered over the last few weeks it is much better with 147 gr. ammo and my groups have tightened up. I have also decided to change a few things with kit, and I am going to sell / trade this P2K. Wife unit is in love with her G-19, I shoot my G-19s MUCH better (and I hate them), so I am probably going to consolidate and keep Glocks.  I love the way the HKs fit my hand, but function over form for now. I am keeping all my other steel guns, 1911s, CZs, etc.....   Thanks for the input, and Semper Fi!!
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top