Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2023 1:22:59 PM EDT
I just now re-obtained my BHP MkIII  I bought new back in 1990.  Gave it to my son for a college graduation present with the stipulation that if he eve wanted to sell it he had to give me first refusal.  Lo and behold he needed some cash (for reasons) and so I got it back for basically what I paid for it back then (when a dollar was actually worth something).

There is only the OEM mag (I remember giving him an extra but... ??). Anyway - Dayum - HP mags are expensive. Any recommendations on a quality HP mag at a fair price?

TIA
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Check to see if Mec-Gar makes magazines for your pistol. Mec-Gar has a good reputation.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Mec-gar makes an excellent HP magazine, including the ‘standard’ 13 rounders and the updated 15 round versions.

Many of the HP clones come with Mec-gar mags.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks my friends - I cruised on over the Greg Cote's website to check and sure enough he has MecGar mags for the BHP at a great price...  even bought some wood grips while I was at it. :)

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Who's Greg Cote?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
Who's Greg Cote?
View Quote

The man.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SSeric02:

The man.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
Who's Greg Cote?

The man.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Installed the new grips today - the ol' girl looks pretty good now with these Hogue grips.  What do ya'll think?

Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#8]
That’s a pretty Hi Power. I have those grips on my surplus MKII and really like them alot. As others have said, the MecGars are good to go.

I just picked up my SA-35 anniversary present from my wife and I love it, but not as much as that old FN rattle trap. That gun has a soul.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:47:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piperpa24] [#9]
Originally Posted By Abbysdaddy04:
That's a pretty Hi Power. I have those grips on my surplus MKII and really like them alot. As others have said, the MecGars are good to go.

I just picked up my SA-35 anniversary present from my wife and I love it, but not as much as that old FN rattle trap. That gun has a soul.
View Quote
Thanks, & I have 3 MecGar mags now, I feel they're better quality than the original OEM mag.  The grips feel very good in my hands and would dress up any Hi-Power for sure.

I wouldn't mind hooking up with a decent MkII sometime if I could find one - just because...

BTW, I bought that Bar-Stow barrel soon after buying the gun because I wanted to preserve the original serialized one for collector reasons. The Bar-Sto is very accurate, I only had to do some minor fitting on it.

ETA: ordered a replacement recoil spring - the original one feels a tad weak - but after 30 years I think its a good idea to replace it right?
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 1:22:48 AM EDT
[#10]
More than likely the original mags for your Hi-Power were made by Mec-Gar. They have been the OEM manufacturer for a good while.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 3:33:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kels] [#11]
MecGars used to be 13 and 15 rounders
They now make a 17 rounder also

I use the 13s because that is what I am used too

The also made a 20 rounder at on time
They are easily identifiable by a small
Raised area on the spine to avoid over insertion
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 5:08:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By kels:

View Quote

Where have you seen 17-rounders? I've only seen KRD ones.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

View All Quotes

I'm sure by now even though no one has said it, the 17rd BHP mentioned in the quote is I assume for the the new & supposively improved BHP. They will not fit or work in a standard P35 or Springfield SA-35. KRD 17rd magazines were range magazines at best. Known for having the spine split once loaded to 17rd capacity and left over night.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Midway USA has New Old Stock Inglis BHP 13rd mags with metal followers in the wrapper for 27.99 on sale right now.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 12:57:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BobTheGreat] [#16]
Originally Posted By wagsfn:

I'm sure by now even though no one has said it, the 17rd BHP mentioned in the quote is I assume for the the new & supposively improved BHP. They will not fit or work in a standard P35 or Springfield SA-35. KRD 17rd magazines were range magazines at best. Known for having the spine split once loaded to 17rd capacity and left over night.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wagsfn:

Apex tactical has started selling modified Mec-Gar Ruger P85 mags to get 17rd and 19rd Hi-power mags. The 17rd protrudes about as much as a 1911 with an 8rd mag and no magwell.

I haven't done extensive testing on them, but they've worked well in my BHP's, except that the fit was a little tight in my cast frame Practical. No issues in the forged frames though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top