Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2018 2:31:26 PM EDT
OK, so I decided this weekend it was time for a new project--would like to build a CCO.  And while digging through the parts boxes to see what I had to start with, I came across this compact frame wrapped in a rag.  Took me a while to remember ever buying the thing, but I am pretty sure it came on a parts gun that I bought cheap at a gun show, then stripped.  Honestly, I remembered that build as having a nickel-plated frame but when I looked at this, I realized it's Colt's "Bright Stainless."

So now I'm in a quandary.
I could spend the money to buy a Caspian frame for this build...or I could use this pretty little beast.
Problem is, the build will be relieved under the trigger guard, have the front strap checkered and be fitted with a beavertail. By the time that's done, I will have completely hosed over that bright polish, and, frankly, I don't have the skills to restore that level of shine when it's done.
Which means it will almost certainly be bead blasted (my preference for a carry gun, anyway).

Anyone care to opine?  Quality of the frame looks very good, and I like the Colt marque as much as anyone, so it would be a good building block...but is it sacrilegious to destroy the factory prettiness?  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you build it that frame is a useless paperweight with little value by itself I say build away
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Sell it/trade it and get one that will not cause you any anxiety as you carve on it. I am not a bling type, but that frame appeals to me as is. No doubt that there are others in your AO that would like to have it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy the Caspian frame. Sell the shiny bauble to a cartel or dictator. Profit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Build and blast it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Build it. I had a colt general officers model in bright stainless steel. I wish I never traded it. My first and last shiny gun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sell it/trade it and get one that will not cause you any anxiety as you carve on it. I am not a bling type, but that frame appeals to me as is. No doubt that there are others in your AO that would like to have it.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Build on it and bead blast that bitch.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Regardless of the finish, that over the Caspian in my book.
View Quote
Thanks to all for the input. Having lusted over many photos of Heirloom pistols, I'm certainly not going to question this opinion.

Now, I just need to think about changing the plan a bit. The only frame change I really "need" is the beavertail.  Maybe I'll try to install one and re-polish the (relatively) small area I affect.  Once I see those results, I'll decide on the rest of the plan.

In the meantime, I also found a Commander-length slide in another box. No logos or rollmark--which makes me happy--but also no markings of any kind, anywhere, so I have no idea who made it (which doesn't make me happy).
It's kind of a mess (was once blued, but also had some paint on it), but looks good where it counts. No cracks, and the rails, lugs and breech face look very good.
I'll need to outsource the machining (flatten/serrate and dovetails), but maybe I can flatten and clean up the sides well enough that it'll look good in deep blue.
If nothing else, it'll be a good exercise in patience!

Attachment Attached File

The plan will evolve, but at least I know where I'm starting.
Now all I need is lots of time!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#10]
A 2 tone carry gun. Nice.

It'll be nice for summer time iwb carry
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't ruin it. Sell it to someone that wants shiny and start with a plain frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top