Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2022 12:00:21 AM EDT
I've been daily carrying a Glock 43 OTW for about 2 years. I'm 5'6" and 130#'s...so a small framed guy. My daily attire is pants and untucked button-
down shirt. I never wear Tshirts. I went through several holsters that were IWB, and I just couldn't do it. If it ain't comfortable, I'm not going to carry
everyday.

My question: Do you think I can reasonable get away with carrying my Glock 19 W/RMR OWB? I live in Texas, and don't really care too much if I print occasionally.

I don't have the funds to buy another pistol, and these are the only two I own. I love my G43, but would prefer a larger mag at times. I've read about reliability
problems with every mag extension for this Glock.

Suggestions/comments?

ETA: for spelling
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It’s all about the holster and belt. I have carried G20, S&W 610 4”, P220 or 226 OWB. My go to is Desantis 001 for leather and Shadow for kydex.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:53:42 AM EDT
[#2]
That reminds me, I'll be buying this holster Black Point Leather wing.
It's a kydex/leather mix. I've read a lot of good reviews here about this company.

I've got the best gun belt money can buy SOE 1.5" Rigid Cobra Duty Belt With Velcro Liner
I've only carried for two years, but have been wearing gun belts for around ten. I don't know of even a close second to this belt.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:59:00 AM EDT
[#3]
For several years after I got my CWP I carried a Sig P226 or a Commander in a pancake/Combat Master style holster; I still carry a Commander that way at times.  I tried carrying a G19 in one for a while but I just don't like Glocks.  I'm a couple inches taller and a bit heavier but in an OWB holster that flat style seems to conceal best for me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:25:16 AM EDT
[#4]
lol. I routinely carry my G34.5 w/ SF and RMR OWB and IWB

Never any issues.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:03:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry OWB all winter long. I usually carry in a nice custom leather holster and leather gun belt. I don't believe you'll have an issue carrying a Glock 19. Pic for reference. G29 gen 4 Milt Sparks holster and gun belt

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:12:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#7]
bianchi 57 is what you want
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, for certain you can reasonably get away with carrying your Glock 19 W/RMR OTW.

I switch between a 43, 19 and 19x.  I’ve never had a problem concealing any of them OTW.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#9]
OP, I’m your size. Makes it difficult to conceal for sure.
I carry a Ruger LC9 OWB at 3:00 and almost always wear just a T-shirt.
I’d love to carry something with more capacity but this conceals really well.
Most every thing else I have tried prints a LOT.
Plan to try out a Sig P365 eventually.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
same height but i got you by about 15 lbs.  no one understands our daily battle of concealing

ever since i tried the DSG  HR canted holsters,     my shield 2.0   i carry much easier https://dsgarms.com/dsg-hr-holsters

i was able to order a half dozen or so from amazon previously.  but you get a discount with your online account from DSG.    so it may vary

i bought a ton of C-Tac holsters from comptac.  but iwb and driving hurt by back
View Quote

My waist is size 29, and kind of boney. All holsters hurt me at the 3:00 position.

Quoted:
bianchi 57 is what you want
View Quote

In stock at Amazon for $40 and returnable!? I might have to try this regardless.
How's the retension on this holster?
@reelserious

Thanks to all who have replied!
ETA: It looks like this holster won't work with an RMR
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#11]
the retention is just fine for a glock 19 or 17 both fit in the same holster.  This is all I have carried for over 10 years.  very slick setup
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Assuming OTW really means OWB, I’ve been carrying a G19 orUSPc or VP9 or 1911 OWB for decades

It’s all about the belt and holster

I like the CQC/S

DSC_0610-G19 Voted by FredMan, on Flickr

HKCQC_S2 by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_0544 by FredMan, on Flickr

VP9 CQC/S by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry a Glock 17 and a 5" 1911 OWB at 3:00/3:30. My attire is similar to yours.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#14]
My biggest issue with this style of holster, and particularly the leather wing from blackpoint is that they rarely do a good job on keeping the grip against my body.   The BP is VERY well constructed, just the design puts the grip in a way it prints loudly.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Beautiful leather work. Where do I get one of these?
@FredMan

Quoted:
My biggest issue with this style of holster, and particularly the leather wing from blackpoint is that they rarely do a good job on keeping the grip against my body.   The BP is VERY well constructed, just the design puts the grip in a way it prints loudly.
View Quote

Thanks!
You talked me out of this holster.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#16]
To echo what others said.

I too live in Texas and wear pants and a t shirt.  I carry a Glock 17 or Glock 48 OWB. No issues, I’m 6’ 190#. But unless you are wearing super form fitting t shirts shouldn’t be a problem.

OTW is not common vernacular, I’m assuming you mean OWB(outside the waist band).

A good “pancake “ type holster that keeps it close is all you need.

For example Anything like this hundreds of brands to choose from.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s not been my experience. They tuck in very well for me.

Lou Alessi passed away a number of years back but the equivalent holster is made by Ritchie Holsters, Bob used to work for Lou and makes a fine copy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#19]
I carry a Shield OWB in Florida all the time in an older Bravo Concealment holster with the "wing" belt attachments.  Looks exactly like this:

With a good, stiff belt it pulls in nice and tight, and conceals well under even a t-shirt.  That being said, note that I said "well", and that OWB is especially critical of extended mags, and that you need a kind of loose shirt to avoid "obvious poking out" bits.  

In the past, I have carried a G17 in a similar holster, with similar results.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
To echo what others said.

I too live in Texas and wear pants and a t shirt.  I carry a Glock 17 or Glock 48 OWB. No issues, I’m 6’ 190#. But unless you are wearing super form fitting t shirts shouldn’t be a problem.

OTW is not common vernacular, I’m assuming you mean OWB(outside the waist band).

A good “pancake “ type holster that keeps it close is all you need.

For example Anything like this hundreds of brands to choose from.
View Quote

Sorry to confuse everyone on the spelling error. I finally fixed it.

The first holster I bought was a Vedder cause everyone loves them here. I truly hate mine. I use it as a car backup holster for the Post office.
That said, it's an IWB holster and I've never found one that was comfy.

That's a real beauty! I'm going to email them with some questions. Any idea on wait time?

Quoted:
I carry a Shield OWB in Florida all the time in an older Bravo Concealment holster with the "wing" belt attachments.  Looks exactly like this: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/im4AAOSwVGZifboe/s-l1600.jpg

With a good, stiff belt it pulls in nice and tight, and conceals well under even a t-shirt.  That being said, note that I said "well", and that OWB is especially critical of extended mags, and that you need a kind of loose shirt to avoid "obvious poking out" bits.  

In the past, I have carried a G17 in a similar holster, with similar results.
View Quote

My current holster for my G43 is made by Bravo Concealment. They make some really good holsters cheap, and their customer service is great. I bought those "wings"
for mine, but they didn't work out. My hips are too narrow. I'm not going to get one for the G19, though. I really need a holster that will bend around my skinny waist.
I think leather might be the way to go.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's a real beauty! I'm going to email them with some questions. Any idea on wait time?

View Quote

I always call and talk to Tim. I think he's 4 -5 weeks right now. Not really bad for what you get.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I always call and talk to Tim. I think he's 4 -5 weeks right now. Not really bad for what you get.
View Quote

I'll try to call him tomorrow. Many of these holsters I've looked at are running 3 to 4 months lead times. It's more than I want to spend,
but...oh, well. I've also got suppressor height front sights and RMR. Here's a bad pic with my G19 in an evil brace:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Ever tried AIWB? Not for everyone, but I can attest that it is the best option for skinny Irishmen with no ass.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ever tried AIWB? Not for everyone, but I can attest that it is the best option for skinny Irishmen with no ass.
View Quote

I have, but didn't work for me. I have the testosterone of a 16yo, and think that's the problem.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I carry OWB all the time. I can't STAND an IWB holster. I'm 5'10" @200 and older. I really don't care if I print or not. I find that a QUALITY belt with a stiff liner in it does the trick for me. My shirts , by design, are easily long enough to cover up nicely.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I carry OWB all the time. I can't STAND an IWB holster. I'm 5'10" @200 and older. I really don't care if I print or not. I find that a QUALITY belt with a stiff liner in it does the trick for me. My shirts , by design, are easily long enough to cover up nicely.
View Quote
Many people choose a gun based on how they dress and not the other way around. I prefer to dress around the gun.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 5:37:53 AM EDT
[#27]
There are a lot of good OWB makers.  I like:

JM Custom Kydex OWB.  

JM Custom Kydex for IWB also.

Quick ship or custom, with lights or without.

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Many people choose a gun based on how they dress and not the other way around. I prefer to dress around the gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you've got a long torso, shirts like the Duluth Trading longtail versions can help with OWB.  I haven't bought any in a while but I hear the quality has gone down (not surprising).
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#29]
I carry a concealed/covered OWB frequently.

You need a good belt and a quality kydex or leather holster that pulls the gun in close to your body.

I typically carry this way around 4:00, which puts the gun just around my hip.

I'm a middle aged engineer who spends way too much time sitting behind a desk, so I'm constantly fighting the battle of the belly bulge.  I don't wear the ultratight "athletic cut" shirts, so my shirts are always loose enough to cover an OWB holster at the 4:00 position.   If your are a more fashionable dresser, it may be clear you have a bulge.  

It's entirely possible you may actually end up carrying OWB in more of a "covered" manner than truly "concealed".  As long as you aren't in a NPE or in a state with an anti-2A stance, this is probably fine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Check into pants with solid structure that ride a bit higher on the waist than lots of today’s jeans.

That helps me along w quality belt
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I carry OWB and keep it covered, but don’t care if it’s always concealed or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top