Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2018 8:40:06 PM EDT
2,300 mile road trip, wore this gun morning to bedtime.

It was clean when I started. Really.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude I’ve been wearing mine morning to bedtime (in weekends) and 5 PM to bed time for 6 months and it doesn’t look like that.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you a dryer repair man or something?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, that’s not the norm for me either.  Never had that happen after weeks of carry.  Something about a road trip I guess.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you a dryer repair man or something?
View Quote
Looks like it.  That was in a Sparks SS the whole time.  Like I load it, holster it and it stays in there.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:17:27 AM EDT
[#5]
That makes sense. I carry all day but after I buckle my belt I unholster and brush the gun off. Chamber check, check the mag, then reholster. Just habit.

Some days there's more lint than others. No reason I can find.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Good grief - something ain't right.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow...
Clean your dryer lint trap
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I never clean my 229 and I carry from 6am till 11:30 pm 7 days  a week
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#9]
How much oil are you putting on that?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Looks like the lint is sticking to the spots you get oil seeping to me.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#11]
That’s part of it. Too much oil+open bottom holster=lint trap.  I did go a bit overboard with lube.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Lint man, ahh-ahh, fighter of the the kydex, ahh ahh! champion of the sun! master of karate and friendship for everyone....
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Lint man, ahh-ahh, fighter of the the kydex, ahh ahh! champion of the sun! master of karate and friendship for everyone....
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#14]
On the bright side, I don't see any Gummy Bears stuck to it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Use grease my pistols used to look like that when I used oil.  The oil weeps and seeps out of the pistol but the grease stays put.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
On the bright side, I don't see any Gummy Bears stuck to it.
View Quote
Made me giggle...
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
All of it.

No, I was trying to get all packed for the trip,and last minute remembered I hadn’t cleaned that thing since a range trip earlier.

Got in a hurry and used way too much lube and not enough wipe down.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:14:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Goes along with the report of an ankle holster user who found a serious amount of lambs wool which originated from the lining against his leg. IIRC the revolver malfunctioned when needed . . .
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Okay, this is kind of funny, but it's actually advice I follow.

In the old TV series Bonanza, a bad guy tried to trick Hoss Cartwright by unloading his gun while he slept.  Of course, much to the BGs shock, Hoss shot him when he tried to pull his bullshit the next day.

Hoss explained, "I always check my gun every evening before going to bed and every morning before getting dressed."

If you carry every day, I think you should be doing this.
I do; twice a day, every day.
Am & Pm; overall visual check, including a peek through the ejection port gap to see the rim of the cartridge between the barrel and the breech.

Another thing I do is after cleaning my carry gun, I give it another wipe down the next day (including another dry patch through the barrel) to make sure that oil hasn't crept into the firing chamber.  Certain kinds of lubes (like CLP) are very "creepy".  You don't want them creeping into the primer of a chambered cartridge.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I clean mine based on what it looks like.  Might be once a week, might be today and then again tomorrow, based on what it looks like when I pull it out of the holster.  My pistols never stay in a holster over night.  I look at them every evening when I pull it out of the holster and lay it up for the night.  If it looks like it needs cleaning I field strip it and wipe/brush it off and re-lube, wipe the outside surfaces off with an oily cloth.  The other day I was up under the house with the XD.  When I took it out of the holster I could hear the dirt "crunching" as I pushed the grip safety in - time to clean it.  The last couple weeks, when I get a chance, I've been working on an under the mud room storage system for the deck furniture, junk, etc. my wife decorates the deck with all summer.  A couple days the XD was pretty well coated (back end of it) with sawdust.  Came in, cleaned/lubed and put it up for the night.

I used to carry a spare CZ magazine (EDC) in my pants pocket.  Decided to unload it one day (don't remember why) and the first few rounds came out and then the rest hung up down in the magazine.  Yup, pocket crud.  Got the rounds out by smacking it on the table (plastic base, oak table) to jar them loose.  Then took the magazine apart and was amazed all the pocket lint/crud on the follower, inside walls, etc.  Ordered two kydex magazine pouches that day.  One for EDC (.40 S&W P07) and one for open carry around my house/property (9MM P01).  No more pocket back up mag. carry for me.

I sweat so bad in the summer that I sometimes have to field strip/wipe down my P07 after just a few hours in the holster (IWB) under my shirt.

Oil stains are preferable to a malfunctioning pistol.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#21]
your shirt must have been made of dust bunnies!
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks normal to me

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Aslong as it still goes bang.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine gets lint, drywall dust and more lol

I pull it out of the holster once every couple of weeks and blow it off
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 1:33:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Not bad. But does it go bang?
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I didn’t get a chance to fire it before cleaning, but it probably would have gone bang.   That same gun goes on my pack belt for 4 weeks of archery season and gets more actual dirt in and on it then.   More than a few grouse wish it had not gone bang then.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#28]
That will clean itself right off after the first shot!
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#29]
I wonder if being in a cold dry climate has anything to do with it? maybe more static electricity to build up the retention of fibers
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I wonder if being in a cold dry climate has anything to do with it? maybe more static electricity to build up the retention of fibers
View Quote
That was from my road trip, Colorado to Florida.  I’m a snowcat one more winter, just sold fishcamp in Clearwater.

I think I just got too generous with lube.  Good in some apps at my age, not with the carry gun though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top