Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 12:51:11 AM EDT
I have a Ruger Standard that I bought back in the early 80s that I broke out of storage, cleaned up and have shot a few times lately. I've used a mix of ammo - mostly high velocity (standard velocity stuff doesn't always eject right) stuff including Rem, Win and CCI. Seems no matter what I shoot, I get a round that won't fully chamber. Happens every couple mags. Usually the bullet partially enters the chamber and then hangs up bending the bullet.

Anyone have a similar experience or know what might be up? I have fully disassembled and cleaned it but doesn't seem to help. Should probably pay attention to see if any one brand seems worse, but so far can't tell much difference. Maybe CCI work best.

Thoughts?

Obligatory pic...
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Does it happen with the same mag? If so probably weak spring in that mag. If different mags not sure.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:13:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does it happen with the same mag? If so probably weak spring in that mag. If different mags not sure.
View Quote
Hmmm, not sure. Never paid attention. I'll check that next chance I get.

If it is the mag, is there a fix? I assume parts are hard to come by. Wonder if Ruger would fix it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:31:05 AM EDT
[#3]
All .22 rifles and pistols can be finicky about ammo.

So you NEED to narrow down if the problem is one or two specific brands and/ or a specific mag.

I've a had a Mk ll s since 1987 that's always been 100% though so most do run very  well.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember having issues with standard velocity ammo but kind of hoped the high velocity stuff would work fine. However, now that it's a feeding problem, not ejecting, I guess I'll need to experiment. I have a ton of range 22 so should be easy to run a dozen mags of each and see if there are any patterns. Just need to find time to get to the range. Below is what I have on hand. Any thoughts on what might be best/worst in this pistol? My 10/22 seems to eat it all fine.

Federal Auto Match
Winchester 333/555 bricks
Fiocchi
Remington 525 brick
CCI Mini Mag
Remington Thunderbolt
Winchester M-22
American Eagle
CCI Stinger
Winchester SuperX
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I've always found MiniMags to feed and function in everything.

All three rest of that stuff l would expect to give problems in something/ somewhere.

The Stingers will work very well in just about anything that doesn't have a tighter target chamber.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd guess if your gun normally ran well, it's either a magazine, cleaning issue or ammo related. Pay attention to which magazine is present when the malfunctions occur. Mark that mag and move on to another. When I isolate a faulty magazine, it goes down range for adjustment by firing squad. It's rarely economical to tinker with faulty mags. In the case of a $17-20 mag, it's not worth the ammo and time ordering replacement parts. If it's a $40+ mag or rare, then yeah, I'll tinker.

What holster is that in the OP? Looks nice.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Check for a carbon ring in the barrel preventing the round from seating properly. I've never had it happen to me but have seen pictures. Look closely, it's very hard to see. This problem also affects 10/22's.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Check for a carbon ring in the barrel preventing the round from seating properly. I've never had it happen to me but have seen pictures. Look closely, it's very hard to see. This problem also affects 10/22's.
View Quote
Copper chore boy on a brush with some hoppes.  Scrub scrub scrub....
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd guess if your gun normally ran well, it's either a magazine, cleaning issue or ammo related. Pay attention to which magazine is present when the malfunctions occur. Mark that mag and move on to another. When I isolate a faulty magazine, it goes down range for adjustment by firing squad. It's rarely economical to tinker with faulty mags. In the case of a $17-20 mag, it's not worth the ammo and time ordering replacement parts. If it's a $40+ mag or rare, then yeah, I'll tinker.

What holster is that in the OP? Looks nice.
View Quote
Mags for the standard seem somewhat hard to find so probably won't go blasting these :)

The holster is a Bianchi 89L. Apparently originally for a Colt Woodsman but fits the Ruger just fine.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mags for the standard seem somewhat hard to find so probably won't go blasting these :)

The holster is a Bianchi 89L. Apparently originally for a Colt Woodsman but fits the Ruger just fine.
View Quote
I didn't fully comprehend this was a Mk l.

You can use a Mk ll and later standard magazine in your pistol.

BUT you must disassemble it and reinstall the button on the opposite side.

There is a hole in the bottom of the floor plate.

Stick a skinny punch in it and depress the detent.

Slide the floor plate off.

Pull the follower to the bottom and pull the button out of the round cutout at the bottom.

Stick the button in the round cutout on the other side and reassemble.

Voilà! You now have a 10 round magazine for your Mk l pistol.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Mkii mags work in the standard. Also, ten shots instead of nine. I would try to salvage a thirty year old mag though, like you said.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:38:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the tip on the Mark II mags.

I looked down the barrel and there doesn't seem to be any carbon ring. I did clean it recently and the issue was still present so I'm going to guess it's the ammo and/or mags.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#13]
This is what I do with my Mark III (manuf 2007). Clean the chamber with flitz eco non toxic polish. It is a new formula that has little abrasive and no fumes. It removes lead and copper.  Lube with breakfree clp.
Ammo try cci blazer 40 gr or cci standard velocity. They do not have wax on the bullet so will be easier to chamber if your chamber is tight.

Your  pistol.
Maybe it has old lube or buildup on it.
Did you field strip it, remove the barrel assembly clean bolt etc?
If not try that and lube with breakfree.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I didn't fully comprehend this was a Mk l.

You can use a Mk ll and later standard magazine in your pistol.

BUT you must disassemble it and reinstall the button on the opposite side.

There is a hole in the bottom of the floor plate.

Stick a skinny punch in it and depress the detent.

Slide the floor plate off.

Pull the follower to the bottom and pull the button out of the round cutout at the bottom.

Stick the button in the round cutout on the other side and reassemble.

Voilà! You now have a 10 round magazine for your Mk l pistol.
View Quote
So I just ordered 2 of the Mark II mags with the plan to follow these directions. However, I've learned that my Mark I is a later model with the follower button on the left so apparently no need to switch it. However, according to this guy's video, there might be an issue with some protrusion on the bottom of the mag. Looks like it can still be made to work but just curious if anyone has run into this issue using a Mark II mag in a Mark I. From the few things I've read, the mag is more a drop in replacement other than switching the button if needed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#15]
The only time I have cycling problems in any of my MK's it has been dirty magazines. A complete stripping down and total cleaning with finger polish remover and then reassembly has taken care of it until the wax and dirt builds up again. I do not apply any kind of lube on my magazines.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#16]
BTW if you have the original factory mag you should have a ‘zig zag’ spring that runs the length of the mag. These seem to have LONG lives.

The modern replacement mags have a round pencil spring at the front of the mag.

I think the original factory Standard/MK I mags with the zigzag spring and chrome metal base still fetch $50 on eBay although they are easy to find.

I think cleaning the mag is the best place to start. If the spring is worn I’ve never seen a replacement.

The new replacement mags work but are wider than the old mags and don’t insert & drop as easily in my MK I.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#17]
New factory mags readily available.

Wire brush the bore.

CCI MiniMags
CCI Blazer

RemHS Golden Bullets 40 grain If pre-2007 in cardboard 50 round boxes.   Now 100 round plastic boxes depends on when made and the lot.  100% function or too fat and blow out rims or inconsistent powder charges.

Ejection is usually clean the bolt extractor.  Unless weak ammo short strokes.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked up a couple of Mark II mags to test. Haven't had a chance to yet. They fit fine though.

Gun is/was clean so my guess is mags or just need to use the right ammo. I forget which brand, but a year or so ago I put around 300 rounds down range without issue so might just be an ammo thing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Finally had a chance to do some minimal testing. Only used CCI mini mags and no issues with the factory mags. I did have one FTF with the new Mark II mags but it simply didn't pick up a round. Not sure what happened. Maybe just need to break in a bit. One of the new Mark II mags did stick and I couldn't get it out. Might have been due to the cold as when I got home it came out okay with just a slight bit of a catch. However, factory mags never had this issue.

I did note that the ammo that seems to give me the most trouble is Win Super X. It has a groove around the bullet and that's where it seems to bend when chambering when I have a FTF. Maybe the bullet is a bit weak there. Not sure. I hope to try some other ammo soon to narrow down the issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top