Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2021 11:25:46 PM EDT
I was out shooting last year and made this video on a whim, but have done this multiple times. It works much easier with rifles because your reference point is more consistent using a stock. But I figured I’d post this so as to help cure anyone’s concern that an obscured red dot can’t be effective.

As you can see, the RMR’s front aperture is blocked with black tape. Using two eyes while shooting, the dominant eye will pick up the dot and your non-dominant eye will produce the picture of the target clearly. I’m no obstetrician, but your eyes will work together and hardly notice the optic is blocked. Try it for yourself.

Obviously, if the RMR was blocked at the rear aperture, you would not see the dot in the glass at all.

Pistol is a Gen 4, Glock 19 with ATEi milled slide and serrations. The shots were taken at 25 yards on steel that’s 10x12”.

https://youtu.be/6heDoEjCB8A
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:03:46 AM EDT
[#1]
You essentially created an Occluded Eye Gunsight (OEG).  They’ve been around for quite awhile, but yes, it works.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:40:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Exactly. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:52:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I should keep a pic of my AR180 for times like this
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, fine.  BUT not the same as having the 'screen' wet or dusty.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, as stated, I did say if the obscuration came from the front of the dot, not where the diode comes from, it could be anything, as the dot won’t be bloomed or blocked, etc. So what’s your point?
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
o really?  The LED burns through all that.  I after trying for a while to get water to pool on the emitter and misting the screen - still worked.

Water Test 1

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
o really?  The LED burns through all that.  I after trying for a while to get water to pool on the emitter and misting the screen - still worked.

Water Test 1

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113559/D3A24409-39AC-49AA-A4B0-655CC891B3D7_jpe-1398811.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113559/8C416E39-BCB1-486E-9DE9-52C530CFC481_jpe-1398813.JPG

View Quote

Thanks for sharing. I haven’t tried that yet.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#9]

An acquaintance of mine shoots a 1911 with no sights of any sort. The slide has empty dovetails.

USPSA master

You should see him clear a Texas Star!
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#10]
before red dots with see-through glass were a thing....there were red dots without see-through glass.

Guys were using these in Vietnam in 1970.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the reasons I prefer irons forward.  You get the full window for the dot, even if site partially obstructs window, not true for irons rear,
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One of the reasons I prefer irons forward.  You get the full window for the dot, even if site partially obstructs window, not true for irons rear,
View Quote
This is the way
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is the way
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the way

I have to agree. I recently set up my P320 this way and it's faster to use and better in every way.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
the RMR’s front aperture is blocked with black tape. Using two eyes while shooting, the dominant eye will pick up the dot and your non-dominant eye will produce the picture of the target clearly. I’m no obstetrician, but your eyes will work together and hardly notice the optic is blocked. Try it for yourself.
View Quote

I recently attended a red-dot shooting clinic and the instructor had us try this very technique.  

He asked us, "Are you looking at your target or are you looking at your dot?"  
Class: "yeah - I'm looking at my target"
Instructor: "Are you sure?"

...then he proceeds to slap a strip of painters tape over every students optic.  

It was an eye opening moment and it "forces" you to learn to shoot with a target focus.  
Having shot & competed with pistols for years - we have "front sight focus" burned into out brains.  Pistol red dots are most effective with a hard target focus.

I spent the next 3 weeks dry-firing with painters tape over my glass to make sure I was using a "target focus"

This is a great exercise for anyone transitioning to dots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top